Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2011, 07:56 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times

Advertisements

Good morning all!

I'd ditch cable pretty quick except of the very few shows I do watch, several are on Bravo...and....the rest of the family would likely revolt.

I watch very little TV....just not much on I care to watch anymore. I have a hard time figuring out with so many channels, how it is, there is so little I want to watch.... Besides that, being on CD is often more entertaining anyway

Another overcast, gloomy day so far....which is my kind of day...

Might do the minimum today then curl up with a book for the rest of the day.....

Old 04-20-2011, 08:15 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I'd ditch cable pretty quick except of the very few shows I do watch, several are on Bravo...and....the rest of the family would likely revolt.

I watch very little TV....just not much on I care to watch anymore. I have a hard time figuring out with so many channels, how it is, there is so little I want to watch.... Besides that, being on CD is often more entertaining anyway
Okay, Bravo was the hardest for me to give up. And they don't put their shows online!

We have an older computer hooked up to the t.v. in the basement. So we watch a lot through Hulu. And we can stream Netflix down there as well. So after the two week withdrawls from Bravo, there isn't much I miss.

The HD quality when watching over the air t.v. is shocking.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:19 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Morning all!

Sounds like you had a busy day, mm. Those Rug Doctors are a PITA.

I like Amazing Race too, but I have to say I've been watching Secret Millionaire this season instead, and getting all weepy.

I have to have Bravo, need my Top Chef fix (and some housewives - another ). Oooh, and I love Deadliest Catch. And Shameless.

How's your pup Zim?

And I'm with Kobber on a few terms - what's IB stand for?

Old 04-20-2011, 08:20 AM

See...we only have one computer so, if we streamed anything it would have to be on the monitor....blech. We did the free month of Netflix online (through the XBox) but the selection was so limited it really wasn't going to be worth the $8/month for us. Most of the movies available were stuff we'd already seen or had never heard of. Mostly the latter. And we don't watch enough movies to join the "regular" Netflix either. We can run to any one of a multitude of Redbox locations and get a movie for $1...the thing I do miss is being able to find older movies from time to time. I will miss when Blockbuster finally closes it's doors for that kind of thing.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:20 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Morning all!

Sounds like you had a busy day, mm. Those Rug Doctors are a PITA.

I like Amazing Race too, but I have to say I've been watching Secret Millionaire this season instead, and getting all weepy.

I have to have Bravo, need my Top Chef fix (and some housewives - another ). Oooh, and I love Deadliest Catch. And Shameless.

How's your pup Zim?

And I'm with Kobber on a few terms - what's IB stand for?
Inherited Bitchiness.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:22 AM

FR - IB is International Baccalaureate...it's a program of study available in some high schools....

The International Baccalaureate offers high quality programmes of international education to a worldwide community of schools

It's great that schools offer a variety of things for kids....but it gets annoying when people start listing their child's accomplishments as some sort of "proof" about how much better their kids are than yours or everyone else's. They really aren't. They may be different but they're not necessarily "better"....That attitude really really bothers me. I see lots of it - starting early in elementary schools. Like someone earlier said..the "mompetitors"...whether in school, in sports, in whatever....it's like these parents see it as some sort of validation to their parenting skills....

Old 04-20-2011, 08:23 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,643 times
I could not live without 24/7 of sports coverage and HGTV ( I know..I'm and odd duck)

The only other shows I really watch are...Glee and Idol I watch sitcoms too though...Big Bang, Modern Family and The Office.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:25 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I want to get rid of cable too. Like mm, I can't understand how there isn't anything to watch on 300 channels including all premiums.

I'm supposed to have the $99 bundle but my bill is over $200 a month. It just doesn't make sense. Nothing to watch.

You know why I can't get rid of it? Hubby. He sits on the sofa with the remote. Then there is the sports issue. How will he watch sports games? Particularly football and hockey?

Old 04-20-2011, 08:30 AM

OMG Hopes - is that just for TV? I have mine all bundled - TV (no premium channels - but we do have digital), internet and phone (with unlimited long distance) for about $150/mo.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:32 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
OMG Hopes - is that just for TV? I have mine all bundled - TV (no premium channels - but we do have digital), internet and phone (with unlimited long distance) for about $150/mo.
It's a TV/internet/phone bundle with all premium channels. I splurged and added the premium channels for while hubby was recovering from surgery. Still nothing to watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting