Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2011, 04:04 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times

Advertisements

Our library supports digital books as well. I think my DH can get them on his iPad. For some reason though, he still either buys the book digitally or goes to the library and checks out an actual book.

Okay - so thank goodness my son is able to drag me into the 21st century. It took awhile, but he got everything fixed up on my iPhone so that I can get email there and on my computer and it's all linked. If I delete it on my computer, it's deleted on the phone. Whew! So confusing. I seriously think he was ready to hit me over the head with a frying pan and I can't blame him. I consider myself pretty tech savvy, but good grief! I never would have figured this out!

Old 04-29-2011, 04:13 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Yes jk - the iPad also functions as an eReader......I don't anticipate this will completely take over physical books at least for me....we'll see though....

Old 04-29-2011, 04:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Other reasons include the ability to change font size. DH has had numerous eye surgeries and gets eyestrain easily, he'd like to read more but the books he's interested in are not always easily available in large print. Plus, he's a slower reader so checking things out from the library doesn't often work well for him. Also, I believe some/all books can be audio books also? Again, not totally sure because I'm just getting to "know" it....LOL
Keep me updated as you learn more. I'm starting to become interested. Your excitement is addicting. Plus, the larger print option is big bonus for me. I hate wearing reading glasses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Okay - so thank goodness my son is able to drag me into the 21st century. It took awhile, but he got everything fixed up on my iPhone so that I can get email there and on my computer and it's all linked. If I delete it on my computer, it's deleted on the phone. Whew! So confusing. I seriously think he was ready to hit me over the head with a frying pan and I can't blame him. I consider myself pretty tech savvy, but good grief! I never would have figured this out!
I've always been tech savvy too, but I'm realizing that I'm losing my edge by resisting some of this newer technology. I have three issues with the iPhone: 1) additonal cost of internet; 2) touch screen doesn't work with long fingernails. (I have long natural nails.); 3) small number size (I like my flip open phone because it has a large keypad. I can't easily see the iphone without reading glasses. I guess it's time for me to join my CD chat forum friends in the 21st century too. This probably means I'll need to get bifocals even though I can see perfectly fine at a distance. Either that, or keep glasses hanging around my neck! YIKES! That's too granny-ish for me!

Old 04-29-2011, 06:02 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Aarg, those poor people in Alabama. How awful for those communities.

Hugs to them.
Oh Fin....me too!....not just Alabama, but all of the poor folks across the south who have been dealing with this catastrophe. It terrifies me to think that peak tornado season isn't even until next month. Oh Lord pray for their safety....and no more tornados!

Old 04-30-2011, 08:26 AM

I need a new refrigerator.

I need to decide what type of refrigerator. (We're planning to replace the stove eventually so our options are open.)

1) bottom freezer or side by side

2) black or white

I'm not paying the money for stainless. I like black but my kitchen only gets northern sunlight which makes it dark. That leaves white.

Should I go for the black and add more lighting?

Old 04-30-2011, 08:32 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
For style (SBS or bottom freezer) I would look at your space available - Is pulling out a drawer and bending over going to be an issue in your kitchen (I couldn't consider one the way my kitchen is laid out); What color are your other appliances/cabinets/flooring. If they (appliances) are all white, I'd probably go with the white unless you are planning to replace the others soon also...

I'm being lazy today I think. It's our anniversary and Mr. MM and I may go out to dinner later on. We have a dusting of snow this morning so having cocktails on the deck is probably out...LOL

Have a great day everyone....

Old 04-30-2011, 08:40 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Happy Anniversary, Maciesmom!!

I wish you a very happy day today and many, many more.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:40 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Good morning all! Happy Saturday!

MM - Happy Anniversary - yay! How many years?

Hopes - we need to replace refrigerators too. We have 2 bum ones, one in the kitchen, and one in the garage for the adult beverages . I think we'll go with S/S in the kitchen, better for resale, although I agree they are overpriced. Costco has good deals from time to time.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:44 AM

All appliances are being replaced eventually. They are bisque.

The microwave broke but I didn't replace it because I wanted to wait until I knew what color.

We're having new flooring installed within the next month. That's what's holding me up.

I don't know what type of flooring. I'm torn between wood, slate, or a neutral beige tile. Now I'm forced to make a decision within a few days.

Then again, I could buy one off craig's list to hold me over until I know what color. We could move it to the basement later.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:45 AM

Happy Anniversary, maciesmom! Have a good one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting