Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 05:58 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

We didn't do the subway because we figured out it was cheaper to take a taxi two to three times a day compared to buying the weekly subway pass for four people.
Taxis are SO expensive. This time definitely take the subway...or the bus. Or do the sightseeing tour bus as you can get on and off at different stops and it seems to stop at all the good spots. I would do a $20 metro card per person I used to get one each week and use it for my commute to and from my internship which was about 2 days a week. If you buy a dollar amount card vs unlimited you can use it twice in a row. I spend SO much money on cabs. Taxis are good for night time. I usually don' take the subway after midnight unless it's the L train which is like a hipster mobile 24/7.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:58 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
It's like dumplings and chicken and everything comes with sour cream.

Funny you should mention it. I went for Thai today. It was good but nothing special. My friend was telling me about an awesome Tail place on Thompson st. Lemme see if I can find it.

Kittichai - New York Restaurant - MenuPages Thai Restaurant Search

For cheapo places I love to hit up china town. THere are also a lot of fun restaurants on 8th ave in the 20s.

You ladies will have to grab a drink at the top of the Standard (before 9:30 after that it becomes the new "studio 54") or on a Saturday after noon. The view is what I consider the best in the city. It will literally take your breath away.
Yumm, that Thai looks great. Might be a bit foo foo for this visit. I love Chinatown too.

Having drinks at the Standard with the girls sounds like heaven, but I'm going with Mr and MissFR, and a friend of ours from LA who's a bloke, so I think we'd make an odd bunch in that environment .

Where's a good street market on a Saturday? That kind of thing is my favorite stuff to do in NY. Is there one at union square? I remember going to a few years ago but I'm sketchy about where they were.

Thanks for letting us pick your brain.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:57 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
We spent a week in NY last year with the kids. They said their favorite memory was Toys 'r Us in Times Square! So much for my little multi-cultural wunderkinders! They redeemed themselves somewhat by adding that seeing Ground Zero was memorable too.

You guys are giving me the travel bug, I want to go somewhere fun too.

Oh, and Good Morning All!

Old 05-09-2011, 09:39 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,643 times
Hope everyone had a nice Mothers Day!

I am doing the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer this weekend. The forecast for the weekend? Rain. Of course it is. lol.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:05 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Good for you LM! Hope it stays dry for you.....

Everyone is back at work and school ..... Had a nice weekend....it's always nice to have the whole fam together even for a little while. I know those times will be fewer and further between as the years go on so I enjoy it when I can get it.

Today I have a number of household chores to do so I'll pop in inbetween those. I need to finish my watering this morning before the heat sets in again.....

Old 05-09-2011, 10:09 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
that's great LM! I hope it doesn't rain on you all weekend. Laundry and low impact aerobics for me today.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:35 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Yes! DH's massive car repair bill is covered under his extended warranty. They don't seem to have the part anywhere in the state of AZ and he has to wait until Wed. to get his car back but... Yes! No big bill! Woo hoo. (Update: Parts are made in Japan and because of the quake and tsunami they're hard to get. Sad. Brings the tragedy back into mind. Bless them still!)

Old 05-09-2011, 01:31 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Hey all - just checking in. Trying to get caught up on laundry, yard work and work work.

Dew - that must be a relief. I think we need to get some work done on DH's car. It's past due on some things.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:57 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Hey all - just checking in. Trying to get caught up on laundry, yard work and work work.

Dew - that must be a relief. I think we need to get some work done on DH's car. It's past due on some things.
Yes, huge relief. The new garage door might be back on the table now, lol. Yard works sounds good. That's on my agenda tomorrow. For some reason it cooled off here. Down 20 degrees from last week.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Taxis are SO expensive. This time definitely take the subway...or the bus. Or do the sightseeing tour bus as you can get on and off at different stops and it seems to stop at all the good spots. I would do a $20 metro card per person I used to get one each week and use it for my commute to and from my internship which was about 2 days a week. If you buy a dollar amount card vs unlimited you can use it twice in a row. I spend SO much money on cabs. Taxis are good for night time. I usually don' take the subway after midnight unless it's the L train which is like a hipster mobile 24/7.
The weekly subway pass was $29/pp. That's $145 for 5 people. We spent about $80 on taxis because I know Manhattan well enough to direct the driver to take streets that aren't congested. We also would walk a block over to catch a cab that was already going in the direction we were going.

I dont do the usual sightseeing so the tour bus isn't worth it. I'll look into the other pass options you suggest because I'd love for them to have the NYC subway experience. Maybe we'll do half subway and half tax this timei.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting