Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 04:31 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Hopes: There are a LOT of LDS where PSR is. (SoCal.)

So, I'm learning about garage doors. I HATE having an HOA. Yes, you may. No, you may not. Sheesh. Drove around to see what other people have. Basically, everybody in this part of the state has the same bloomin door! I asked the HOA if I could put in windows and they said, As long as they match your neighbors'. Dang, I'd love to pick out some freaky windows and watch the man in the HOA truck hit the breaks and have a conniption fit.
I feel your pain. I live in the largest HOA in the country.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:38 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Hopes: There are a LOT of LDS where PSR is. (SoCal.)

So, I'm learning about garage doors. I HATE having an HOA. Yes, you may. No, you may not. Sheesh. Drove around to see what other people have. Basically, everybody in this part of the state has the same bloomin door! I asked the HOA if I could put in windows and they said, As long as they match your neighbors'. Dang, I'd love to pick out some freaky windows and watch the man in the HOA truck hit the breaks and have a conniption fit.
Dew, I had an argument with my inlaws about that once. I have seen some crazy HOA laws, stuff like you can only use one type of lawn seed and other really really restrictive constraints. Being freedom loving Americans, I thought they'd agree that that was a bit OTT with regards to your own private property - but they were in agreement that you need to agree to live within their laws or not live there at all. I think it's hilarious how people get really mad about their tax dollars but will roll over with no question when somebody tells them they have no control over their choices when it comes to their own property.

(I understand that there are some laws that you should follow if you want to live in one of those communities, but the extent of them just boggles my mind ).

Old 03-24-2011, 04:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Our HOA tells you what colors of crushed granite you can have as your "lawn". We'd never lived in one before and figured it wouldn't be all that horrible. But every time that truck goes by I hold my breath. They'll send you a letter if you leave your garage door up.

(Which isn't a problem for me right now, lol.)

And what's really weird is that in this state you can do ANYTHING. Like carry a gun into a bar. But cross into HOA territory and they're upset if your paint fades.)

Ooohhh... Oprah is in Tassie!

Old 03-24-2011, 04:49 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Ah Dew... you need to move to our neighborhood .

We are very lax. As long as no one has got a car up on blocks, etc., we pretty much leave well alone. Our HOA became self managed a few years ago to avoid the outrageous management fees. At one point before that, I got mad because we requested to repaint our porch railing a hunter green, rather than the blueish green. We got turned down. Not long after the people directly behind us painting their house powder blue! I had a fit!

I was told that they are changing things and would love to have another person on the architectural committee (the people who decide what color, etc. you can paint). I said sure! Since then we've never told anyone no when it comes to color. We are happy that people are painting. Not only that, but I love the variety. The houses are no longer all a shade of gray.

About two years ago I dragged my DH to a meeting (not sure why) and lo and behold, it was the last meeting of the currant president since he was moving. Somehow, my husband fell into the position. So we REALLY don't worry about nit picking anything. Everyone seems happy enough because they never to to meetings to complain! We have a very tiny neighborhood. Less that 150 houses.

I have a friend that after years, I still can't easily remember her house because of the sea of them all, and they all look alike.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:53 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Quote:
Our HOA tells you what colors of crushed granite you can have as your "lawn".
That's horrible!

We have a house where the owners planted pumpkins in the front as their "yard". Not my thing and I kept waiting for one of those HUGE pumpkins to get stolen by some kid and smashed in the street but it never happened.

They ended up doing something else last year - not sure what.

But we never did anything about it. It wasn't awful and the pumpkins were amazing! Their neighbors never complained - if they had, we might have said something.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:11 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
That's horrible!

We have a house where the owners planted pumpkins in the front as their "yard". Not my thing and I kept waiting for one of those HUGE pumpkins to get stolen by some kid and smashed in the street but it never happened.

They ended up doing something else last year - not sure what.

But we never did anything about it. It wasn't awful and the pumpkins were amazing! Their neighbors never complained - if they had, we might have said something.
We had pumpkins one year - just a couple, but they're really beautiful plants - the flowers are lovely.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:34 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
My towns on fire........

Old 03-24-2011, 05:46 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
My towns on fire........
how close are you? How about you, Maciesmom?

I don't mind the HOA much. We'd keep things looking nice anyway, so it mostly just keeps the neighbors doing it too.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:50 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
The fire is southeast of most of us.....It is hazy here and smells of smoke though. Looks like some homes have been evacuated. It was flurrying a bit when I drove home from work a while back. The area that is burning is mostly rural areas. There are a lot of horse farms in that area so of course you worry about people having to evacuate their animals as well as their families.

ETA - just went outside to check - doesn't smell like smoke anymore -it actually smells like rain...odd since we didn't have any and there is blue sky to the west....the fire seems to be growing pretty rapidly though - already hit 1000 acres and it just started this afternoon.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:12 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
The fire is southeast of most of us.....It is hazy here and smells of smoke though. Looks like some homes have been evacuated. It was flurrying a bit when I drove home from work a while back. The area that is burning is mostly rural areas. There are a lot of horse farms in that area so of course you worry about people having to evacuate their animals as well as their families.

ETA - just went outside to check - doesn't smell like smoke anymore -it actually smells like rain...odd since we didn't have any and there is blue sky to the west....the fire seems to be growing pretty rapidly though - already hit 1000 acres and it just started this afternoon.
They worry about the winds shifting west, I can see the fire from mainstreet and twenty mile area, they said if the winds shift west we're doomed, well not doomed but it'll be pretty bad.

They evacuated the pinery, thats CLOSE to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting