Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2011, 08:01 AM

13,251 posts, read 9,872,112 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the sympathetic ear, all - coop - yeah I got a credit for last month, should get one for this month too. I went with the DSL because we had directv when we moved, and they had a bundle deal with verizon. It's really not too bad when it's working, I went for the 3mb which is ok - but I would really love FIOS, the speed is 15mbps, which is blazing. Would be great because if I am doing a project I send 2gig and greater files on a regular basis.

But my directv contract is up, so I have some options I guess. I don't know whether to put up with it until the FIOS goes live or get Xfinity. I would never have gotten DSL if I didn't have directv - and I had that because there was an issue getting cable service in our last place. Lawdy.

Oh well, sorry for the ranting, I know it's not much of an issue in the grand scheme of things.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:01 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,401,981 times
jk - yikes. I'm trying to avoid thinking about that. I know our HS sends out letters to parents of seniors telling them the due dates and style for the yearbook picture. Some times, photographers will give a discount to those who get in early. That's what we did with DD. We had her pics taken right after prom junior year. I haven't thought too much about DS's yet. I was very happy with DDs pics and was just going to go to the same place but DS wants one of his art teachers to take them. She had a bad cancer scare last year and has a family and is always unsure if her program will be cut at school with all the budget cuts. So we'll do at least the yearbook picture with her.....I might end up doing more pictures later in his senior year once he gets his braces off. It's also time for me to think about putting together his Senior Ad for the yearbook....

Old 05-25-2011, 08:03 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,940,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Good Morning Coop! Thanks for asking! Still have the dengue fever here. Off to the doc with DS in a minute
Poor thing -

Old 05-25-2011, 08:05 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,839,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
That's what I figured and I'm at a loss right now on how to begin finding someone. I've got a few people I'll ask who they have used. I've got one friend who really, really wants me to use who they used this past year, but while I like some of the pictures, I don't think she has a studio and I don't want all outside pictures. Plus, she's way up in the mountains.

Getting DS to care about doing this will be like pulling teeth.....
Start researching. Call the school and ask for some names. You can research via internet searches too. Some photographers have examples of their work online. Senior pictures are way cooler today then when we were kids. You might not get her to care about this, but you can very likely get her to show up for pictures. If I could do it, you can do it. Mine didn't pick outfits or anything. I'm the one that organized it and they just showed up and posed for pictures. If you give up the dream of them caring and being actively involved in it, you'll be a happier mother.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:12 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,401,981 times
Hopes - jk has a son. As you said, sons do tend to be the "just tell me where I have to show up and what I have to wear and I'll be there" sorts. I do think jk's son tends to be very organized and responsible for his own appointment-making though. I too will have to be prodding DS to contact his art teacher in the next few weeks to set something up since he's the one who has her contact info. I had it easy for DD - I had bid on a picture package at a silent auction to support the school's athletic programs so the decision was already made. They did a nice job though and were local - but pricey - even after the initial package and the discount for early scheduling. IME, girls tend to be all about the 2 hour sitting, 5 outfits etc....It was worth it though - got some lovely pictures.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:21 AM

jk -- Sorry for calling your DS a she. Still trying to get the caffeine in me.

mm -- My son definitely fit the "just tell me where to show up" mold. His pictures turned out great though.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:23 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,940,892 times
Just went and googled - looked at some sites - noticing a trend. They post 99.9% pictures of girls. I really want to see more guy pictures! Those are the hard ones in my opinion!

If I could get someone to find a spot for DS to take his Jeep up in the mountains for a picture with it - then he'd be on board.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:24 AM

13,251 posts, read 9,872,112 times
Zim - sorry to hear DS is not doing well. Where I grew up we actually had Dengue fever - I'm guessing you too?

Old 05-25-2011, 08:49 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,091,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
Do you ever wonder if some of these parenting threads are real? Seems like alot of new posters w/ alot of drama in their lives lately.
All of the time. Especially when their very first post is melodramatic.

Morning all! Here's hoping for a healthy, happy day for everyone.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:53 AM

Oh, the pregnant belly.

My neighbors moved into the neighborhood a few years ago and have been popping out babies every since. 4 babies in the past three years. Nothing wrong with that. BUT, now I'm not sure if she's pregnant again.

She's not overweight. She's in great shape. But she has this belly. I'm not sure if it's left since the last pregnancy or she's pregnant again. It's BIG. I'm afraid to comment for fear she's not pregnant. I made the mistake once in my life of asking when a non-pregnant woman was due.

My instincts are that she's pregnant. Hubby thinks that she just hasn't lost her belly from the last pregnancy but I swear her stomach was much, much smaller last month.

We're very social with them. I fear she'll notice that we're not commenting/congratulating and think we don't approve. This is a stupid post. Just wondering how you would handle this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.