Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2011, 03:37 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I wonder if any other posters here had corporal punishment at school?
They stopped it when I was in Jr. High. Though I can remember one teacher had a paddle with holes in it. My parents had it in writing with all the schools that we were NOT allowed to be hit by a teacher. Thank goodness.

I have an idea some of my brothers' friends still have nightmares. There were a couple of "those" teachers.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:42 PM

13,419 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
That's the big issue, the people who suffered the most under this evil man are angry they have spent thousands of dollars when he will be in attendance, and especially as they are essentially being told to forgive and forget. He tried his nonsense with me once, but was unsuccessful. That's the huge consequence of corporal punishment, it is very subjective, there were no records kept, and the teachers had free range to pretty much inflict any type of punishment on any kid for any real or perceived infraction. Pretty scary.

I wonder if any other posters here had corporal punishment at school?
Lawd. He sounds like quite the sadist. I can understand people not wanting him to attend, it could become all about him and ruin the evening. Perhaps they should just have a reception line for him and people can file past and say their bit and be done with it. I'm glad you stod up to him Zim.

We had it at our school, you would go to the principal's office and get "the cane" - across the hand IIRC. It had to be a quite serious offense though. I certainly never got it - and I think it was only for boys.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:55 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times
I will never forget my first grade teacher - Ms. Collip - because I got it with a ruler, in front of everyone. I can't remember what I did, and given I was so quite and a good student, can't imagine what could have set her off!

Old 06-09-2011, 04:08 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
I can remember corporal punishment - I think our elem. sch. principal had a paddle in his office. We could hear the "whacks" when someone got it (I think it was only boys though)....

jkcoop - My first grade teacher hated me. No idea why but it's the only teacher I really remember who I felt intensely disliked me. She never hit me but she would just do mean little things. My biggest "issue" was I was a daydreamer (and I think pretty quiet also)...I'd get easily distracted looking out the window or something. But I was also in the top "group" for all subjects - which I think really annoyed her further so she'd find little things to punish me for.....

Old 06-09-2011, 04:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I only had the ruler once and it wasn't until NINTH GRADE when a substitute teacher walked by and slapped my knuckles without warning because I was talking.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:16 PM

I never had a teacher who hated me, thank goodness. But I was following my Brother the Boy Genius and most of my teachers couldn't understand why I wasn't just like him. (I was like you mm. Always looking out the window.) It made K through 9 horrible.

They changed the boundaries when I went to high school so I got a fresh start. I don't think I could have taken 3 more years of, "Oh your P's sister! Sit right here in the front!" I remember one open house when one of his high school teachers (Latin and Anthropology which I never would have taken anyway) gave me a HUGE hug. He couldn't wait until I sat there and stunned him with my brillance. Just as well I didn't have to disappoint him, lol.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:20 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
I think everyone's responses highlight why corporal punishment is so futile, it's either done on impulse out of anger, or because of some personality conflict, which the child usually has no idea about. This issue has ignited a firestorm on our HS reunion Facebook page, and the most common issue raised is that the kids never knew exactly why they were being punished. The rule at our school was the boys were to be paddled over their clothing on their buttocks, and the girls on the palms of their hands, and both could be given other forms of punishment such as weeding or trash pick-up, but this particular teacher paddled both sexes, and did it on bare flesh. He was also a master in other forms of humiliation, and honestly seeing the extreme emotional responses, who knows what else he did.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:24 PM

Zimbo, Anyone know if this horrid man has seen the FB page? ('Course if he's a sadist, he probably enjoys knowing the torture he caused.)

Old 06-09-2011, 04:25 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I never had a teacher who hated me, thank goodness. But I was following my Brother the Boy Genius and most of my teachers couldn't understand why I wasn't just like him. (I was like you mm. Always looking out the window.) It made K through 9 horrible.

They changed the boundaries when I went to high school so I got a fresh start. I don't think I could have taken 3 more years of, "Oh your P's sister! Sit right here in the front!" I remember one open house when one of his high school teachers (Latin and Anthropology which I never would have taken anyway) gave me a HUGE hug. He couldn't wait until I sat there and stunned him with my brillance. Just as well I didn't have to disappoint him, lol.
lol. I had the opposite experience. I was the good one who got good grades. Unfortunately, my brother was a prankster. Not only did he put the principal's golf cart on the roof of the school, but he welded it there. That was just one of his pranks. When I came along a few years later I heard "Oh your M's sister! Sit right here in the front! I want to keep an eye on you." Ugh. I was followed by the principal (in his golf cart) everywhere. Luckily, I was so good that after a few months, they backed down. They still watched me though because my DB was so good at acting like an angel in front of adults. Think Zack Morris from Saved by the Bell.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:28 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Zimbo, Anyone know if this horrid man has seen the FB page? ('Course if he's a sadist, he probably enjoys knowing the torture he caused.)
There are quite a few other teachers participating in the discussion, and they seem genuinely horrified by the stories, one of the teachers mentioned this morning that if the evil teacher hadn't seen the discussion yet, it would be brought to his attention. The sad thing is we had some really great teachers, I would hate for this to cloud the reunion. Maybe it's necessary for some people though, to fnally be able to talk about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting