Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2011, 07:15 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,706 times

Advertisements

Phew. Just finished cooking my 12th meal of the day. I had to make sure I made up for the ones I have missed in the past. I made sure that every meal was nicely balanced. You know. At least 10 slices of bacon, extra salt and something super sugary for the side. She probably would have been better off just eating the Special K cereal, but hey I have to cook right?

We spent part of the day cleaning and discovered we do have floors and that our ceiling is higher than 3 feet once we made paths through the rooms. Hmm. Interesting. Maybe we should do that more often.

We tried to go to Sonic for lunch because we only go there about twice a year. We drive up and realize it has closed down. It looks like it has been closed for a long time too. When did that happen. We ended up going to a greek restaurant instead. Very yummy. We have great greek food around here because there is a VERY large greek community.

Then we spent about 4 hours wandering around Target. Only bought 1 thing. I am proud of us. Out Target is next to a PetSmart so we always have to go in there when we go to Target because DD loves animals so much. She has always been very good around them and always asks the owner if she can pet an animal before she actually does it. I am always shocked when I see kids just run up to a dog they don't know and start petting it. The parents are usually just looking on. Do some people just not realize that some dogs are dangerous around young kids? They can get scared very easily by an excited kid. Ugh

My other thing about dogs is working dogs. We taught DD when she was very young what to look for when she sees a dog that could tell her if it is a working dog (seeing eye dog, seizure dog, etc). She is always very respectful and never asks to pet them, get in their way, or distract them. She usually looks at me and says "look Mommy. That dog is working. We better not bother him." Meanwhile you see random adults who walk up and start petting them or trying to give them treats. Stop it people! The dog is working. It is not a pet.

Rant over. Sorry. Didn't start out that way. Was trying to say we had a good day, but those minor annoyances can build up. Been pretty stressed and every once in a while it all starts boiling over.

How was everyone else's day?

Old 06-25-2011, 07:36 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
psr - are you in the so cal desert? It isn't that hot in LA is it?

I was matched up with a pen pal when I was about 11. We wrote to each other on and off for years and years. I saw her in person for the 2nd time ever today. It is sad that we live close now but have only managed to get together a couple times.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:23 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post

My other thing about dogs is working dogs. We taught DD when she was very young what to look for when she sees a dog that could tell her if it is a working dog (seeing eye dog, seizure dog, etc). She is always very respectful and never asks to pet them, get in their way, or distract them. She usually looks at me and says "look Mommy. That dog is working. We better not bother him." Meanwhile you see random adults who walk up and start petting them or trying to give them treats. Stop it people! The dog is working. It is not a pet.
This is frustrating for my husband, since he has a working dog. It totally screws up work, especially with people the dog knows who don't think it's a big deal. The dog has a "Go say hi!" command that can be used if someone wants to pet the dog, but they need to ask first! That way the dog is still "working" since he is obeying a command by greeting the person and getting attention.

Usually people are polite and do ask for permission to pet the dog, but sometimes they just come right over and pet him.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:30 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,558,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Good movie. But come back when you're done and I'll tell you the part they got totally wrong.
We didn't end up watching it, some friends popped in. I have seen it before though, so do tell what they messed up?

Old 06-26-2011, 05:31 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,976 times
We just discovered someone vandalized our car.
Someone hacked up part of the grill.
You can TELL it's been cut, its been sliced and hacked with something.

Its my mom's/brother's SUV, technically my mom calls it his and says she needs to buy a car of her own now ever since he got his license.

I told him he needs to report it to the cops because it definitely was done by someone we know. I mean no one does that to a random car. I have a few people in mind that I know would do it, we've left it out a few nights in a row because the inside garage door was being fixed and we couldn't open it so we had to just park in the drive way and go in the front door.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:35 AM

that needs to be reported to the police.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:39 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
that needs to be reported to the police.
I KNOW!
They won't listen to me!!!!
I think I will just file a report myself.

Anyways I need some advice.
I really do.

That movie I mentioned earlier....
I STILL can't sleep without having nightmares. Its either zombies or wolves and I can never find my best guy friend I like in my dreams, he's in all of them and I can't ever find him or I know where he is and I can't get to him.

How do I get over all this?
Its literally like almost 9am and I still haven't slept. I'm avoiding it because I don't like the nightmares.

I don't know why I am so affected by this but it's really bothering me.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:50 AM

sorry, getting good, dream-free sleep is not my specialty.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:49 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,558,278 times
Good Morning All!

It's a really good day to be an earthling!

Here's a funny for you.

mental_floss Blog » 10 Funny and Fabulous Flowcharts

Have a wunderbar day!

Old 06-26-2011, 09:51 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
We didn't end up watching it, some friends popped in. I have seen it before though, so do tell what they messed up?
Hope you had a nice visit with your friends.

On the movie (and book): When Gus Grissom landed in the Liberty Bell he did not panic and open the hatch. There was a malfunction of some explosive bolts on the door and they blew, (Design/manufacture malfunction) causing the capsule to flood. He came very close to drowning.

(Grissom was later killed in the Apollo 1 fire. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting