Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2011, 07:52 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times

Advertisements

Morning all!

Julia .... I had a lovely response all typed out, and you thwarted me! Thwarted, I tell you. Probably a smart move on your part.

Signed,

A Harpie.

How's everyone doing today? I have been feeling like poo for a couple of days, thanks for asking, but I am feeling better today. Bet you're all glad you know that.

coop - glad Mrcoop fixed your AC.

Ewag - sorry about the bed thing. We have had a few episodes like that, but I've just generally found that not making a big deal of it lets it subside on it's own. There are some things we disciplined straight away for, like being rude and inconsiderate - and pitching fits if one did not get one's own way. Those would be naughty step offenses.

Actually, MissFR has not been on the naughty step for a few weeks now. Last night we had our usual discussion about changing the tv over from NickJr to Jeopardy, an event that usually begets some kind of hissy fit. So as soon as she started the wailing about wanting to watch "her" shows, I said "if you start carrying on you'll have to go to the naughty step, we need to share the tv" and she turned off the bad attitude like a light and said "OK Mommy, you can watch Jeopardy now" - and actually handed me the remote. (not that I need her permission to change the channel - but it's a real step in the right direction - one thing at a time ).

Occasional bouts of not wanting to go to bed, or not wanting to eat dinner we generally let go - I've found that those things wax and wane and for her have not been onging enough to make a big battle about. And they've gotten less and less over time to the point where they really are non existent now. I figure when she's in school and gets hungry enough and tired enough she'll eat and sleep when she needs to. But she's a bit older than your son, Ewag, and I think she's getting less stubborn and more accepting of stuff as she matures.

Of course, everyone's kid and expectations are different.

Ok, you can all go ahead and make fun of me for watching Jeopardy now. It's become like a tradition in our house - it kind of marks the changeover from day to night, IYKWIM. That's my excuse, anyway.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:59 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
LOL FR. I love Jeopardy but rarely watch it. I am not one to have the tv on and I forget it's on. Sorry you've been under the weather...
Hope everyone has a lovely day.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:00 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Good Morning All!

My sister left yesterday after 2 great weeks, so I have a case of the grumps this morning.

Fin - sorry you have been under the weather, glad you are feeling better today. Hmmm.....careful, Harpie may be a name that sticks!

Old 07-13-2011, 08:05 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times
Thanks for the support everyone - I was kind of losing it last night!

Thanks, FR! Glad you're feeling better!

And not to worry - we watch Jeopardy, too....DH and I managed to miss the test to get on the show this year but hopefully next year. I think it would be a neat experience, if I managed not to get stage fright

Ugh - the sleep thing is killing me - I don't think it's a defiant thing, I think DS had a lot of life changes (including sort of dropping the nap) and it's messing with his normal sleep routine. Although he does get points for perseverance - he goes to bed by 8 every night, and can manage to entertain himself for 3 to 4 hours! I just worry that 3 months of sleep deprivation are going to take a toll on his health - it certainly has on his mood!

I love the naughty step - that's great! Good job, mom!!

Old 07-13-2011, 08:14 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
mm - yes, I am the terrible parent that has the TV on all day. I have to have some background noise going on. MissFR will take it or leave it, depending on what's going on - unless you try and change "her" channel, and then you'd think the world was coming to an end.

Zim - awww, I'm sorry your sister has gone. Is it really two weeks already? Geez, what's up with that?

Ewag - yeah, if he's not being defiant, then it's hard to know how hard ass to get about it. We had a big move when MissFR was three, across the 3 hour time zone, so we just let her adjust on her own. Zim is right, it really doesn't last forever.

But just so you have it - here's the link of Samuel L Jackson reading that book - you may have to sign in to view it, I didn't post the video because it's totally NSFCD.

YouTube - ‪Go the **** to Sleep.wmv‬‏

Old 07-13-2011, 08:20 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
FR...if there was more on I was interested in I'd have it on...generally no one is home during the day and I don't think to turn it on when I get home. I know that DH will take care of that the minute he walks through the door!

Old 07-13-2011, 08:41 AM

Ha! Thanks, FR!

Yeah, it feels like forever, but I know it's just a phase. Thanks for letting me whine a little

Zim - Aw, that's sad. That first day is always tough! I'm glad you and your sis had a great time, though.

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 07-13-2011 at 08:55 AM..

Old 07-13-2011, 08:52 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Morning all. Let's hope today is the day everyone starts doing better.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:54 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
ewag - I remember when I had to nix the naps. It was when I finally realized that it was taking me longer to finally get him to sleep than he actually slept! Then then feeling of, "crap! now I've lost those couple hours of quite to myself....".

Seemed my son did it sooner than most others. I think around 3ish. We never had a lot of trouble with bedtime at a younger age that I can remember. But really, Fin is right, they will generally work it out on their own. It's not worth the battle for a short term thing. Would possibly changing a route of some sort work?

I do also remember when our son got older and I gave up on a bedtime. (Talking middle school here). I thought I needed to make sure he got "x" amount of sleep and there seemed to be a lot of arguing. It was amazing how he totally self regulated himself once I sort of gave up. A few times of being exhausted quickly stopped that. Obviously this doesn't work for all kids because some won't care if they are tired and it's effecting their school work/grades. Most of the time he's in bed now WAY before we are!

Just remember - it won't last forever!

Old 07-13-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
ewag - I remember when I had to nix the naps. It was when I finally realized that it was taking me longer to finally get him to sleep than he actually slept! Then then feeling of, "crap! now I've lost those couple hours of quite to myself....".

Seemed my son did it sooner than most others. I think around 3ish. We never had a lot of trouble with bedtime at a younger age that I can remember. But really, Fin is right, they will generally work it out on their own. It's not worth the battle for a short term thing. Would possibly changing a route of some sort work?

I do also remember when our son got older and I gave up on a bedtime. (Talking middle school here). I thought I needed to make sure he got "x" amount of sleep and there seemed to be a lot of arguing. It was amazing how he totally self regulated himself once I sort of gave up. A few times of being exhausted quickly stopped that. Obviously this doesn't work for all kids because some won't care if they are tired and it's effecting their school work/grades. Most of the time he's in bed now WAY before we are!

Just remember - it won't last forever!
Thanks, coop! I really appreciate the suggestions from the moms who have been through this already! I think I'm hypersensitive about sleep issues because I have had life-long sleep disturbances myself - I'll keep reminding myself that this situation doesn't necessarily mean we'll have trouble for all time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting