Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2011, 01:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times

Advertisements

Can't say I was a big A.W. fan but wow, to loose someone that young. Tragic. 27. That's way too young. I can only imagine what her family is going through.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:05 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
What a tragic loss of a great talent. RIP Amy Winehouse at 27.
She was amazing. So sad that she never found a way out.

I just made the mistake of reading the thread about it that was started over in P&OC. I would rather spend all my days with people like Amy, than lose 30 seconds with the cruel and hateful people who are commenting in it.

And they have the gall to say what they're saying and then call her a loser.

If you're going to act all morally superior, at least back it up by having a little class. Ugg.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:27 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
Sorry about the heat all of you guys are having. I think we shared all of our normal heat with the rest of the country because this summer has been pretty cool so far. It's been mostly in the mid to high 90's.

Is anyone really surprised about Amy Winehouse? Of course it's really sad, and she was very young. It just isn't too shocking to most people.

I'm so excited because I start college again in a few weeks. I finally found a college with a very good reputation online. It's a brick and mortar state school mostly with some online options.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:59 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I'm so excited because I start college again in a few weeks. I finally found a college with a very good reputation online. It's a brick and mortar state school mostly with some online options.
That is exciting! Congratulations, psr!

Can't say I'm surprised about Amy Winehouse but it's so sad. As is the lack of compassion regarding her life and passing some people have shown. (I made the mistake of reading some of the posts on C-D.)

Old 07-23-2011, 07:18 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
That is exciting! Congratulations, psr!

Can't say I'm surprised about Amy Winehouse but it's so sad. As is the lack of compassion regarding her life and passing some people have shown. (I made the mistake of reading some of the posts on C-D.)
Yes. Did you see my post above psr's, Dew? I'm seriously disgusted.

I'm not surprised either, but that doesn't make it any less awful.

Congratulations, psr... good for you.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:29 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
She was amazing. So sad that she never found a way out.

I just made the mistake of reading the thread about it that was started over in P&OC. I would rather spend all my days with people like Amy, than lose 30 seconds with the cruel and hateful people who are commenting in it.

And they have the gall to say what they're saying and then call her a loser.

If you're going to act all morally superior, at least back it up by having a little class. Ugg.
She was an incredibly talented artist. It is extremely disappointing when the haters all jump on the bandwagon. Of course she had major demons, that was obvious, but the dismissive and cavalier remarks about another human being's death are repugnant to me too.

They must have deleted that thread in P&OC. Good.

There is no great genius without some touch of madness. ~ Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Old 07-23-2011, 09:34 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Sounds like her cop/friend thinks she's too immature at this point in her life. Honestly, it sounds like he gave her great advice.

We're all always pushing her to start the academy, but how many of us truly think she's emotionally ready to pursue a career carrying a gun?
I wasn't trying to say "Go start academy now," I meant that getting generic life experience isn't necessarily helpful compared with life experience gained through pathways commonly used to get into law enforcement. There's no point in getting life experience if you have no direction. Channeling free time into college is actually helpful.

Congrats to psr on starting college. Every so often I debate going back to school (for a Master's) but I'm not sure if it's worth it for me.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:50 PM

I already have almost 60 units, so most of what I have to take will be major related. I'm such a nerd, so I'm so excited to get back into school.

I've also started learning my husband's language so that he can't talk with our future children about me behind my back. OK, that reason isn't true. It's just fun, and I love to be able to share in his culture.

I don't think that working at a retail store is exactly what will give one a whole lot of cop related life experience. Just sayin'.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:55 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
psr - congrats! Learning a language is always a good thing too.

pass - what would you study?

Old 07-23-2011, 10:55 PM

Thanks Zimbo. I love learning languages. I have an intermediate ability with Spanish and am trying to figure out how to improve it. Spanish speakers I know are of no help because they spend all their time making fun of my accent. Well, I can't improve my accent if I can't practice it. Geez. I asked hubby if he wanted to move to Mexico, but he said no. He would move to Argentina, but they speak funny Spanish, we couldn't get a work permit, and we don't have the money to move there. Haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting