Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 10:37 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Laundry day! I am so excited!! Woo-hoo!! Yeah. Right.
I'm jealous. Every day seems to be laundry day here.

I can't seem to stay ahead of it.

I'm convinced my problem is we own too many clothes.

It can't have anything to do with my being disorganized.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:41 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm jealous. Every day is laundry day here.

I can't seem to stay ahead of it.

I'm convinced my problem is we own too many clothes.
I can't do laundry every day. I know people do and it seems more efficient that way sometimes but I tend to do it in one fell swoop. One day, 7 loads and done for the week. Other than dinner or errands, I don't do much in the way of housework during the workweek. Once I'm home from work, I'm pretty much done for.

The sun is shining and it's actually a really pretty day.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I can't do laundry every day. I know people do and it seems more efficient that way sometimes but I tend to do it in one fell swoop. One day, 7 loads and done for the week. Other than dinner or errands, I don't do much in the way of housework during the workweek. Once I'm home from work, I'm pretty much done for.

The sun is shining and it's actually a really pretty day.
Clearly something is wrong in my household.

I never could get a week's worth of laundry done in 7 loads.

It has always been impossible to get it all done in one day, except when the kids were little.

Each person's jeans takes one load for each person.

One person's hoodies is an entire load too. (Thank goodness hubby and I don't wear hoodies.)

I could go on and on.

Thankfully, everyone has been doing most of their own laundry.

But I still feel overwhelmed by it. I guess I'm just not organized enough.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:58 AM

How many people are you doing laundry for?

The 3 of us....One load of jeans. DH and I do not wear jeans to work except on Fridays and DS doesn't even wear jeans/cords that often - he usually wears shorts. One load of whites, 1-2 load of towels, a load of shorts and hoodies, a load of t shirts a load of socks/underwear (dark) and a load of lights and 1-2 loads of sheets....so...between 7 and 10 loads depending...I do all the laundry here because I want to be sure not to waste water by doing unnecessarily small loads.....I also don't want anyone cramming so much stuff in the washer that it ends up broken.....

Old 04-04-2011, 11:10 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Each person's jeans takes one load for each person.

One person's hoodies is an entire load too. (Thank goodness hubby and I don't wear hoodies.)
Jeans are one whole load for me too as they are DH's "signature look" LOL.
(He does wash the clothes he rides in, bless his heart, as they make me sneeze.)

We both wear hoodies. I love hoodies! So in the wintertime there's a load or two just for those.

I'm a little OCD about washing things. Something can be worn for an hour and I put it in the hamper to be washed before it's worn again. One thing about laundry day, I can mess around here or read a book while everything is in the machines and still consider myself "busy".

Currently reading "Bringing Adam Home" about the Adam Walsh case on my Kindle. Heartbreaking story.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Jeans are one whole load for me too as they are DH's "signature look" LOL.
(He does wash the clothes he rides in, bless his heart, as they make me sneeze.)

We both wear hoodies. I love hoodies! So in the wintertime there's a load or two just for those.

I'm a little OCD about washing things. Something can be worn for an hour and I put it in the hamper to be washed before it's worn again. One thing about laundry day, I can mess around here or read a book while everything is in the machines and still consider myself "busy".

Currently reading "Bringing Adam Home" about the Adam Walsh case on my Kindle. Heartbreaking story.
If we were able to wear jeans every day, we'd be washing jeans all the time as I'm quite certain that's pretty much all we'd wear.

I agree about laundry day being a day when you can do "other stuff" (reading, messing around on CD, watching a movie etc) without feeling guilty. It's great for that.....

I don't know if I could read that book, Dew....I don't handle stuff about kids well. And one that is true? I just don't know if I could do that. It took me years and years to finally watch Schindler's List.

I think I've decided to keep the cute but high wedges and return the comfy but unattractive (to me) shoes. I'll continue to look for something similar though. I really do need a pair of brown, everyday summer shoes (with a little height). I just want to like them a little better than I like these for the amount of money they were.

Here are the cute wedges.....

Old 04-04-2011, 11:17 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
All the jeans go in one load. That's 4 people. DH and I don't wear them much but DS5 won't wear anything else. Let's see...
jeans
kids darks
kids whites
DH darks
DH whites
me darks
me whites
"in between" colors
That's all the clothes I think. Of course there are light and dark towels, sheets etc.
DH does his own 2 loads. I do everything else. Sometimes my own don't get done for 2 weeks.

ETA we each only have a couple hoodies. I don't wash them every time they are worn.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
How many people are you doing laundry for?
When my daughter was here, four people. Now three people, but hubby does his own these days and son started pitching in now and then. Of course, my daughter does her laundry here when she's home. Oh, and we have our new resident now but he will be doing his own laundry.

My son's blue jeans take 1 entire load, often 2. Remember, he's over 6' tall. His jeans take up space even though he's not heavy. His hoodies take 2 loads. They all won't fit in one load.

My jeans take an 1 load. I'm not working so I wear jeans everyday. That's 5 to 7 pair of jeans in a week which is 1 load. When I work, it's worse because then I have jeans and dressier clothes to wash.

Out of light weight material (like t-shirts and long sleeved shirts), I usually have 2 or 3 loads of darks, 1 load of brights, 1 load of pastels and a 1 of whites.

My sweaters usually take 2 loads--lights and darks--not full loads but they can't be washed with the other materials.

Whites 2 loads --- 1 load of socks and underwear and 1 load of white clothes (included above).

I don't wash clothes with socks and underwear. If you saw my son's socks, you would understand.

Towels 2 loads. Sheets 2 loads.

That's 18 loads per week so far and I haven't even begun to add in any of hubby's clothes that might not be included in the above loads and things like a load of rags which aren't done every week.

My neighbor does 3 loads every night. That's 21 loads per week. I'd say that's a good estimate of what a week's worth of laundry is here.

Quote:
I'm a little OCD about washing things. Something can be worn for an hour and I put it in the hamper to be washed before it's worn again.
I can wear things more than once (the rest of my family has no problem doing it) but dog hair usually prevents me from getting more than one wear out of something.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:25 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Those are cute mm! I love wedgies. Especially since DH is a lot taller than I am. But my back is past the age I can wear that much of a heal.

The book: I think I read things like that as a way of facing my fears. If that makes any sense at all. And it's so well written and constructed. I'm always reading to learn from other writers. (And steal their good stuff. lol.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-04-2011 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: Cannot spell. Should have paid more attention in school.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Those are cute mm! I love wedgies. Especially since DH is a lot taller than I am. Put my back is past the age I can wear that much of a heal.

The book: I think I read things like that as a way of facing my fears. If that makes any sense at all. And it's so well written and constructed. I'm always reading to learn from other writers. (And steal their good stuff. lol.)
DH is also much taller than I am. Plus, I have short legs so most of my pants are on the longer side and heels help with that. I usually do more of a platform though which is easier on the calf and back....The height was my concern all along. I'm caving just to make up for the fact that most shoes that I can wear are on the unattractive side (or at least, not what I would choose to wear if I had a lovely size 7 medium to narrowish foot with no bunions).....Pretty much every woman in my family ends up having foot surgery at some point. I am doing everything possible to avoid that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting