Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2011, 03:29 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,877 times

Advertisements

Oh man, Dew, what a day! I am so very sorry for your losses. Sending hugs your way!

Old 07-28-2011, 03:41 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Oh Dew. I'm terribly sorry. ((((hugs))))).

Thanks for the reminder, will do.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:51 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
So sorry Dew. I am starting to hear of people I've known since childhood now coming down with major illness. It makes me watch DH wile he's sleeping.

Mrs X, you are amazing. I found the nine months of a normal pregnancy to be stressful enough. The idea that you can be calm and accepting of an unknown outcome is a wonderful tribute to the spirit of motherhood.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:00 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,953,325 times
Tough day in here today.

Dew - thinking of you. Hang in there.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:03 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,194,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
OK, so here's my tirade. DD8 has struggled with reading from the get-go. We have a very strong family history of dyslexia from both sides of the family. With much effort on her part and ours she struggles along, and so far has not failed any of her reading assessments. She bounces in and out of EIP each year which gets her 1:1 reading help, with little improvement. I really think she needs to be assessed to figure out if there is a component to this that we can get help for, her last teacher thought she needed to be assessed, the pediatrician feels she should be assessed. However, as she has not failed, she does not meet the criteria to be assessed by the school district. We can get her assessed privately for $3150, which is not covered by health insurance at all. If the results verify an underlying issue, the school district will then assess her again, as they do not use outside assessments, but will take their assessment as a need to investigate further.

So the choices are 1) Spend a boat load of money which if it shows there is nothing organic, is wasted and doesn't help DD with her issue. 2) If it does show she has an issue, the testing will be redone anyway. 3) Let her fail and then she gets processed through the system anyway.

There is a serious failure in the public school system for kids that are just getting by, honestly it's disgraceful.

I can walk into my doctors office and insist on a CAT scan or MRI for an ailment which will often cost more than that, but can't get coverage for something that will affect DD's entire life. There's something not right with the system.
Put your request in writing. Note that recent federal case law does not require failure to be present before intervention is sought; there merely has to be a problem which "affects her educational experience" which this certainly has. (If the school system has a mission statement, which many do, chances are it's something schmaltzy about "helping the child to grow through education", and which is sometimes helpful to quote at them if they're being obstinate).
Polite, professional, and with just the tiniest hint of "Towanda!" often works wonders in moving both the mountain AND Muhammad.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:05 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,194,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Buckets of tears.

I just got a call. One of my very best friends passed away. She was very ill so it was half expected but oh, gosh it hurts. We knew each other for 34 years. Almost to the day. (This isn't the friend whose mother was sick.)

And today's the 10th anniversary of my Dad's death.

Please hug your DH's and your kids and tell your friends you love them. Life is SO short.

Pain.
I'm so sorry, Dew. May those who loved her find comfort and peace.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:05 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,953,325 times
By the way everyone - I'd like to say that it's funny that sometimes during the day, I can be doing something, hear a story, be some where and think of someone on here because of what we have all been talking about.

We all might not have every met, but just want to say, you all are very much appreciated and really it feels like you guys are a part of my every day.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:22 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
By the way everyone - I'd like to say that it's funny that sometimes during the day, I can be doing something, hear a story, be some where and think of someone on here because of what we have all been talking about.

We all might not have every met, but just want to say, you all are very much appreciated and really it feels like you guys are a part of my every day.
Thanks coop. Right back atcha.

It's funny, even MrFR has gotten into the act. (he often reads the board if I leave it up overnight and he looks in the morning.)

We'll be driving along and he asks something like "how's Zim?" or "is Dew's name from an old tv show? Would you ask her?" and because we live near Ewag - "do you think that's Ewag in the meat dept?" "has Hopes had any more hot gods?" or some other comment about our goings on.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:30 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Thanks coop. Right back atcha.

It's funny, even MrFR has gotten into the act. (he often reads the board if I leave it up overnight and he looks in the morning.)

We'll be driving along and he asks something like "how's Zim?" or "is Dew's name from an old tv show? Would you ask her?" and because we live near Ewag - "do you think that's Ewag in the meat dept?" "has Hopes had any more hot gods?" or some other comment about our goings on.
Awww you guys, that's sweet. I feel the same way. We are glad to have MrFR as an honorary member/voyeur .

Old 07-28-2011, 04:41 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Thanks everybody. I really appreciate the good thoughts. You all are the best and I appreciate having you here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting