Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2011, 03:00 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times

Advertisements

Yes - about the wakes and celebrations of life. When my grandmother passed last spring, we did cremate her and had the memorial just last month - she was really the matriarch and family traveled from all over for the service. Lots of stories, fond memories and good food. Later on in the evening - a few drinks were indeed hoisted in her honor - she would have loved it. DS commented then, that THAT was the way to go out - surrounded by family, laughing and telling stories, having a good time. How can you disagree with that?

In don't know what is in the air lately, but several of my coworkers have had serious illness in their immediate family too. It does make you kind of wonder...

Old 07-31-2011, 03:03 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Is it only the Irish who claim deaths come in 3's? I've heard of 2 this week, and am waiting for the other shoe to drop. I hate that feeling, but I've heard it since I was a little girl.

Nothing going on today. Gave the dogs a sorely needed bath, which wore them and me out. Grilled veggies and salmon, coming up.
Grilled salmon and vegges sound sooo good!

I thought the 3 thing was for movie stars. But I know what you mean. Hate the other shoe feeling. DH and I once visited a fairly well-known actor friend in the hospital. The news was on and they mentioned the passings of two actors. Our friend looked at us and said, "Get me outta here!"

He recovered, thankfully.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:19 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Dew - now you have me wondering where this weeks SI is...I haven't seen it.....I used to read them first thing....at some point we let our subscription lapse...we've recently restarted it but I'm out of the habit of reading it first thing...I'll have to be more diligent. DH can get in a frenzy and toss stuff before I've read it. Hopefully it's still around here. I do still miss Rick Reilly's column. I enjoyed his writing...

Thanks Mattie for the dinner suggestion - that sounds perfect. I need to run to the store anyway...

ETA - found it! Now I see why it's framed and hanging in your kitchen!...I'm putting it on my nightstand to read tonight....

Old 07-31-2011, 03:52 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
ETA - found it! Now I see why it's framed and hanging in your kitchen!...I'm putting it on my nightstand to read tonight....
Thankfully DH understands my horrendous teeny bopper crush on Fitz. If you're ever looking for a time-killer try and find the cover of Men's Fitness for Sept 2009. Fitz in full drool-producing mode. Shirt off. Dreads down. A definite hot god, IMO.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:58 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Netting. Put your stakes around the garden area. Attach the netting to the stakes. You can also use rope in place of netting by weaving it back and forth. The idea is that the netting/rope holds up the top of the plants. You can do it horizontally (so the plant is growing up through the netting) or vertically (so the netting is providing support on the sides).

Horizontal netting:

Veritical netting:

Here's a little drawing of horizontal to give you an idea:

You can also create your own cage with chicken wire or cheap fencing material by staking the metal fence posts around the plant and then wrapping the posts with with chicken wire.

Since you said they are in a strip of soil next to the fence, try wrapping rope around the plant and tying it to the existing fence. Tomatos can grow sideways. Perhaps the big long branches growing out sideways can be anchored to the fence.

Good luck! I wish I had your problem. My tomato plants didn't get tall yet because I planted them late.
Ooh, Hopes, that's awesome. I might be able to rig up some 11th hour facsimile of that.

Thanks very much for taking the time to post those pics. I like that much better than the cages, which I don't really care for beauty wise. Our vegetables are part of our small garden along with the flowers and stuff, so they have to look good too.

I don't know if you guys read The Day of The Triffids at school here, but this is what I'm afeared of:

Old 07-31-2011, 04:00 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
So I have these out of control Triffid tomato plants. I have some stakes, which they were tied to when they were little, but now they're over 6 feet and have big long arms going everywhere. What to do? I can't fit cages around them because they're in a little strip of soil between the lawn and the fence. I had no idea they were going to get that big! I think they're going to come in the back door in the middle of the night to devour us, in order to feed the humungous tomatoes that are growing. Eek!
Yikes! Hope's suggestion was good. If it makes you feel any better - at the farm DS works at there is one person who's only job is staking tomatoes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
At this point in my life, I really thought, I'd be past picking toys up off the floor before I vacuumed...I really need to figure out how to train Macie to use one toy at a time and put one away before getting another one out of her toy basket.
That's the kitties here. They love playing with wine corks and end up all over the floor, out of their toy basket.

Dinner..... I'm thinking of skipping it. I made lunch because an old work friend of my husband's came over. He's vegetarian so I grilled veggies and did the quinoa stuff and homemade bread. A little while ago, DH asked me what was for dinner. I looked at him like he was nuts and asked what he was going to make! Give me a break.

Last edited by WhereTheSidewalkEnds; 07-31-2011 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: Oops - Hope's not Dew!

Old 07-31-2011, 04:01 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,741 times
Good Afternoon All

Bulldogdad welcome to the parenting forum!

Txt how did your interview go?

Num1baby I will keep your grandma in my thoughts!

Hope that is great news about TK! Also do you plant any fall/winter veggies? I was wondering because this year I miss the time to plant for the spring and with the fall coming I want to prep.

Mattie- In our family all deaths and births come in threes. Right now its three births a year. In the 1990's it seemed all our three deaths per year happened in the span of three years. We recently had three deaths in 2009 but when you accumulate all the 3 births vs deaths in the years, births surpass it. If you do the math its a creepy and an interesting Mrs. X fact , huh!

Dew--Who is Fitz???

XX to all, Mrs. X

Old 07-31-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Coop, we just paid an $85. service charge for our AC, because lightening struck somewhere nearby, and tripped the circuit breaker. DH will NOT make that mistake again.
Yeah - I'd hate to think what all this trouble shooting he's doing would cost. He and his dad installed it in the first place, so as long as it's not freon involved, he's sure he'll get it figured out. We know it's not the freon.

On the flip side, the new thermostat can be controlled by our computers and iPad. So, if I'm laying there at 2 am having a hot flash, I'll just reach for the iPad and turn the a.c. down!

Old 07-31-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Dew--Who is Fitz???
I think it has something to do with football. Dew and MM speak some sort of language called footballese that I cannot understand for the life of me

Old 07-31-2011, 04:09 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Yeah - I'd hate to think what all this trouble shooting he's doing would cost. He and his dad installed it in the first place, so as long as it's not freon involved, he's sure he'll get it figured out. We know it's not the freon.

On the flip side, the new thermostat can be controlled by our computers and iPad. So, if I'm laying there at 2 am having a hot flash, I'll just reach for the iPad and turn the a.c. down!

OMG how did he do that! I want your thermostat! It saves me walking up and downstairs at night!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting