Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2011, 08:43 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times

Advertisements

Morning all - just getting ready to get moving here....I expect DD will show up on the doorstep complete with piles of laundry and a myriad of other stuff here in the next few hours. Figure I'd better at least get a start on my laundry this morning...especially as we have a dinner party to go to tonight. The dinner party is at a restaurant and is to celebrate the 50th birthday of a good friend. I'm unsure as to the gift giving protocol on that. It is at a restaurant and I'm not quite sure how many people will be attending - the 2 other couples who I know well enough to confer with, are unable to attend due to other commitments. I don't want to embarrass him with a gift but don't want to come empty handed either if everyone else will show up with a gift. My inclination is to bring a card especially since it is at a restaurant and I don't want to clutter things up...I just don't know. Any thoughts?

Old 08-06-2011, 08:46 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Joke gifts are the norm for 50th birthdays, but I'd be surprised if anyone gives THAT type of gift at a restaurant venue.

We have attended many 50th birthday parties. We always give funny cards since hubby and I aren't "joke gift" people ourselves.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:46 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Morning mm! Since it's a guy and a restaurant I'd go with the card myself. Have a good time!

Old 08-06-2011, 08:54 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
We went to Trader Joe's today. It's a great place. We got stuff for some excellent prices there. The quality is so much better than grocery stores, too. Since moving here we do most of our shopping at the farmer's market or Trader Joe's. Haha, I made it seem as though that's the only place we went. We went to the farmer's market today, too. It was food shopping day.

I haven't been to Costco in years. It's just too crowded, and I'm way too impatient for the lines there.
One of the things I miss about CA!

Old 08-06-2011, 08:56 AM

Thanks guys - I was leaning toward a card - maybe a bottle of sake (they are Asian) but since we know absolutely nothing about what consitutes "good" sake, I'd be wary of giving something that might turn out to be swill.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:03 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
MM - last December I hosted a 50th b'day at our house for a dear friend. This was for a female, which may be different, but everyone brought a gift of some sort - and she received gift cards as well.

I always considered the 40th b'day the gag gift. Not the 50th. I would give a card and the sake is a good idea - or just a nice bottle of wine.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:06 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I'm on my second basil plant of the summer. The first one got so big I couldn't keep up with the flowers that make it bitter.
I hope mine didn't turn bitter! I thought the purpose of pinching the flowers was to help the plant become big and bushy.

I stopped doing it a few weeks ago so there were a few flowers. (I just ran out and cut them off!)

Old 08-06-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
MM - last December I hosted a 50th b'day at our house for a dear friend. This was for a female, which may be different, but everyone brought a gift of some sort - and she received gift cards as well.

I always considered the 40th b'day the gag gift. Not the 50th. I would give a card and the sake is a good idea - or just a nice bottle of wine.
They don't drink wine - which would definitely be my general "go to" gift at this point. And yes, I agree - 40 seems more of the gag-gift age (glad that's over -it can definitely be kind of awkward)...I wonder if our local liquor store would be knowledgeable about sake?

Old 08-06-2011, 10:57 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
They don't drink wine - which would definitely be my general "go to" gift at this point. And yes, I agree - 40 seems more of the gag-gift age (glad that's over -it can definitely be kind of awkward)...I wonder if our local liquor store would be knowledgeable about sake?
There are a very very few circumstances under which I don't hate gag gifts. Glad to know I'm not alone.
Right now is one of them: a good friend is about to start treatments for what we're thinking is a relatively "no big deal" cancer. She's very much not the sentimental type, but I wanted to let her know I was thinking good thoughts for her, all that. We've been joking about the side effects of treatment, so I bought her some ginger lollipops and a package of those "stick on" barrettes you buy for bald babies. Tacky and tasteless, but if I got all mushy, she'd think she was dying and nobody'd told her.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
There are a very very few circumstances under which I don't hate gag gifts. Glad to know I'm not alone.
Right now is one of them: a good friend is about to start treatments for what we're thinking is a relatively "no big deal" cancer. She's very much not the sentimental type, but I wanted to let her know I was thinking good thoughts for her, all that. We've been joking about the side effects of treatment, so I bought her some ginger lollipops and a package of those "stick on" barrettes you buy for bald babies. Tacky and tasteless, but if I got all mushy, she'd think she was dying and nobody'd told her.
I don't mind gag gifts if the gag is specific to the person and circumstance (like you described - the thought that went into making someone smile is appreciated). The gag gifts that someone I don't know thought up generically and someone I do know (but not well enough apparently)spends money on (thinking "Over the Hill" themed playing cards etc as well as most items that can be purchased from Spencer's -if they even still exist) I generally dislike - they seem a huge waste of money to me and then I'm stuck with what to do with a bunch of crap that is brand new but I don't want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting