Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2011, 02:58 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times

Advertisements

Ugh. You guys are right. I think I will have to put my foot down with continued help until I get paid or get a response. It might be my only leverage.

If it were regular bookkeeping it would be one thing - but there is a complicated reservation system on the back end that makes closing the month a you know what. So I know a lot more questions will be coming......

This is so out of my comfort zone.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:02 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Ugh. You guys are right. I think I will have to put my foot down with continued help until I get paid or get a response. It might be my only leverage.

If it were regular bookkeeping it would be one thing - but there is a complicated reservation system on the back end that makes closing the month a you know what. So I know a lot more questions will be coming......

This is so out of my comfort zone.
Can you send a demand letter? If the client has already approved your invoice - he may not know you haven't been paid. Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding it all....I would certainly not continue the free consulting at this point. You can also let them know that once you do finally receive your payment, you will be available for consultations at a rate of $XX/hr....

Old 08-12-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Can you send a demand letter? If the client has already approved your invoice - he may not know you haven't been paid. Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding it all....I would certainly not continue the free consulting at this point. You can also let them know that once you do finally receive your payment, you will be available for consultations at a rate of $XX/hr....
That's not a bad idea.

As far as the client not knowing I haven't been paid - well, he's a dope. Towards the end when I was doing it, there was barely enough to pay the bills - so I would ask him constantly - what is the priority here. Sending him balance sheets, reports, etc. Crickets.

Then I finally had to to get "stern" email because we were getting calls from a vendor. He then asks - "oh, how much are we short?" like he's NEVER read any email. He's the worst business person I have ever come across. He told me months ago he needed to get a line of credit - but don't know what ever happened.

So the owner approving the invoice kind of means nothing if more income hasn't come in (enough came in the last day I was doing this that I know they could pay me). He'll approve stuff all day long but it's meaningless!

I guess if she ignores my question but has the nerve to ask for more help, I'll do what you suggest and charge a hefty rate for consultation until I get paid.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:14 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Ah...so it's not simply a matter of the new person not having cut the check? Yikes. Good luck. Hope you get paid. Either way, sounds like you're better off without him as a client anyway.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:41 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Do you think or have you ever seen (or suspected) someone volunteer for something that they never had any intention of following through with?

Old 08-12-2011, 03:44 PM

Okay - I'm so proud of myself right now because I totally went outside my comfort zone - and I took your advice (to a little extent!) mm-

So she emailed me back that she sent a bills owed report to the owner and is waiting to hear back what bills should be paid since money is so tight.

I emailed her back and thanked her for letting me know, but that, "You may want to let him know that I’m providing all the help now without charging. But I might not continue if my last invoice is put off. Don’t mean to sound harsh, but….".

As I was writing it she sends another email asking a question about the sales tax returns!

I can tell she is hesitant to ask questions now (and I'm sure feels bad) - because she started out by saying, "I hate to ask but...".

I feel a bit sorry for her because I would think she's wondering what she got herself into and is realizing why I dumped the client.

The client thinks I dumped bookkeeping all together. He doesn't know I just dumped him.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:09 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,516 times
Dew- With the talk about Disney and then you talking about taking Jack out from under the sink, I pictured Jack Sparrow... I'm sorry, CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow, climbing out from under your sink.

Thanks for that picture. Gave me a laugh on a day that I needed it. Now I am off to get the thing that will fix all bad days. Wine.

Oh... and WTG Coop. I know that kind of thing is tough.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Dew- With the talk about Disney and then you talking about taking Jack out from under the sink, I pictured Jack Sparrow... I'm sorry, CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow, climbing out from under your sink.
What I wouldn't give to have him climb out from under my sink.....

Old 08-12-2011, 04:18 PM

By the way - the perfect appletini recipe -

1 part vodka
1 part sour apple pucker schnapps
1 part apple juice

The apple juice makes it healthy.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:19 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,128 times
Good job, coop! And glad you got through the day, num!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting