Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 09:58 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,670,068 times

Advertisements

Congrats Num on your well behaved daughter! Good job, mom!

It must be a rib weekend. We're heading to the rib festival today. Free Bret Michaels concert. That's what you get when you live in a city that Bret claims as his hometown. It's not. Anyways, this is my first time heading to one of his free concerts and there are thunderstorms in the forecast.

I have to write two papers before 10am tomorrow. I'm an idiot for procrastinating.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:15 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,172,021 times
Good morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
as we were leaving, he pulled me aside to tell me that he thinks we are doing a great job because DD is the most well-mannered 6 year old he has ever met. That made me feel so good. Especially coming from him.

On another good note though, I got to bring home a tray of cheese, crackers and salami that is going great with my wine.
Sounds like my idea of a successful party!

Old 09-05-2011, 10:19 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,172,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I have to write two papers before 10am tomorrow. I'm an idiot for procrastinating.
Not an idiot. Normal.

Both my kids have projects due tomorrow. They are, of course, doing them today. In Boychild's defense, he's done a lot of homework and written a thank you note. Miss Aconite's been on the phone with friends. Given her usually-quite-shaky social skills, I'm good with that. Sometimes, priorities are not what conventional wisdom thinks they should be.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:57 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,013,720 times
Yay Nummychild!!!

Congrats on the sub-floor, Hopes. (I had to Google it to see what it was. I know pretty much zip on basements, but it sounds like it was a lot of work. And probably mess.)

Nothing planned for us. 106 today but we're supposed to have double digits for the week-end. That's a REALLY big deal here.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:02 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,350,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yay Nummychild!!!

Congrats on the sub-floor, Hopes. (I had to Google it to see what it was. I know pretty much zip on basements, but it sounds like it was a lot of work. And probably mess.)

Nothing planned for us. 106 today but we're supposed to have double digits for the week-end. That's a REALLY big deal here.
That is good news Dew!

Heading off to the grocery - thinking burgers, deviled eggs, coleslaw and cake today....Thinking I may pass on the office

Anyone else have plans?

Old 09-05-2011, 11:21 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,670,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It's the plywood layed down over our 100 year old pine floor before the oak hardwood flooring and tile will be installed. Looks something like this:

http://seamlessdean.com/images/subfloor_installation_02.jpg (broken link)

I guess technically our 100 year old pine floor is the subfloor (that's what hubby was sanding last week to get it level). But we needed to install a new subloor of plywood overtop of the old subfloor to make the floor more sturdy and level before we install the our new hardwood and tile flooring in our first floor living area.

The next step is too install the oak hardwood flooring in all of the rooms except the kitchen. In the kitchen, we need to install cement board before laying the tile.

Basically, I'll be living with plywood floors for the next few months, hopefully not an entire year.

I can't blame it all on hubby. We have a division of labor. Hubby will be installing the oak hardwood, the clear top coats, and the cement board. I will be installing the kitchen tile and staining the hardwood before hubby applies the clear top coats. Money and time will be the main factors hindering completion.

This will be the FIRST tile floor I've ever done. I've never layed tile. I think I'll do a good job. I'm hoping!

Old 09-05-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This will be the FIRST tile floor I've ever done. I've never layed tile. I think I'll do a good job. I'm hoping!
I've done it. Not all that difficult. The hard part (obviously) are the corners. We did (do) all the home repair/improvements ourselves. Though we're planning on hiring someone to paint the exterior of the house once the weather cools off. DH and I are both getting a bit old to climb up on ladders and the house is on a hill. I have visions of tumbling down the front slope. Not good.

One great thing about DIY is getting to look at the results and say, "I did that!"

Old 09-05-2011, 11:52 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,739,925 times
Good morning all!

Hopes, good luck with the rest of your diy.

Dew, I was out yesterday getting a snow cone and I got stuck in a dust devil. My snow cone was covered. All I though was how the hell does Dew manage with haboobs? I was mad! My poor snow cone. Lucky the lady felt bad and gave me another one.

Nummy what a lovely story.

Ewag how are you holding up?

Mattie I hope you have a lovely day.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
. Lucky the lady felt bad and gave me another one.
Morning, Mrs. X! That was very nice of her! How are you feeling?

Believe it or not, there's a chance for another dusty night tonight. Ay, caramba!

Old 09-05-2011, 12:00 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,928,574 times
Morning all!

Hope everyone has a good day - we are going to the farm for a bbq for the CSA members. I think it's nice he's doing it. We probably won't know anyone, which will be the down side. But to not go would be kinda crappy since DS works there. So we'll making a showing for a bit. Otherwise, we aren't doing anything.

Well, except laundry....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting