Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2011, 10:11 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,088,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
She was the nicest woman I have ever met. I don't just say that because she was my Mom, she really was. Always sweet and innocent.
I'm guessing you miss her as much as I miss my own mom.

We buried my mom in a dress she'd bought in Fiji. She loved Fiji and its people so it was fitting. I insisted she have an orchid lei. We were a little afraid tongues would wag but thought, "WTH" and everyone said how perfect it was because it was so her. Then we played Sinatra's "Fly Me To The Moon" one last time for her.

My mom was something else.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:19 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,803,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm guessing you miss her as much as I miss my own mom.

We buried my mom in a dress she'd bought in Fiji. She loved Fiji and its people so it was fitting. I insisted she have an orchid lei. We were a little afraid tongues would wag but thought, "WTH" and everyone said how perfect it was because it was so her. Then we played Sinatra's "Fly Me To The Moon" one last time for her.

My mom was something else.
I do. She died on my 24th birthday and not a day goes by that I don't think of her.

I buried her with no pantyhose and laughed my head off because she would be so horrified at the thought of not wearing hose. I figured she should she be comfortable for all eternity, screw the prim and proper.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,831,238 times
It's settled. I've decided. My children will be eloping.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:00 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,535,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's settled. I've decided. My children will be eloping.
No kidding! Although I am of the opinion that people who say they are approaching things positively, but are continuously at odds with people, probably have issues with the tone or content of their delivery. Don't you think?

That said, I have made it a point to never say or do anything negative to my MIL-zilla. You can never take it back. Any issues that arise are my DH's to figure out. It is his mommie-dearest, and I am not going to be the cause of issues between them no matter how horrendous she has been.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:08 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,099,791 times
I just sort of caught up on the wedding thread. wow! FWIW my MIL and mom wore similar colors. that was fine with me. If it was a faux pas, oh well!

Old 04-11-2011, 01:09 PM

Anyone know anything about athlete's foot?

I've never had experience with it in my family (or ever.)

"The kid" (I don't know what else to call him on here) came to me two days ago with a very bad case of it.

I bought him Lotrimin and told him to stop showering at school and the girlfriend's house (her brother just got out of prison two weeks ago).

I know I need to start cloroxing our bathroom (fun, fun). I thought I would mix up a spray bottle so it can just be spayed down once per day.

I'm thinking about his socks. Dont' they need to be cloroxed too? He only wears black socks. Clorox will ruin them.

Should I have him toss his black socks, buy him white socks so they can be cloroxed during treatment, and then buy him new black socks when this is over?

Is it necessary to use clorox? Or is hot water wash good enough?

Old 04-11-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
No kidding! Although I am of the opinion that people who say they are approaching things positively, but are continuously at odds with people, probably have issues with the tone or content of their delivery. Don't you think?
Totally! I recognize this myself sometimes. I'm the first person to realize that I'm doing something wrong if everyone is misunderstanding me. It's a process to be more socially aware of others than ourselves. Some people take longer at figuring it out and other people just don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
That said, I have made it a point to never say or do anything negative to my MIL-zilla. You can never take it back. Any issues that arise are my DH's to figure out. It is his mommie-dearest, and I am not going to be the cause of issues between them no matter how horrendous she has been.
I feel the same way about my hubby and his family. I won't have anything to do with them, but I have NEVER even hinted to him that he shouldn't. They are his family. He deserves to have a relationship with them even though they don't like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I just sort of caught up on the wedding thread. wow! FWIW my MIL and mom wore similar colors. that was fine with me. If it was a faux pas, oh well!
I only think it's a faux pas if the MOB minds. From what I've read (yeah, I had to look it up because I know nothing about this crap), the MOB has first dibs and her wants and desires outweight the MOG when it comes to chosing a dress for the wedding. But if they all agree, I'm sure that's fine. No faux pas. Afterall, they weren't throwing their drinks at each other, right? LOL

Old 04-11-2011, 02:27 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,099,791 times
Quote:
Totally! I recognize this myself sometimes. I'm the first person to realize that I'm doing something wrong if everyone is misunderstanding me. It's a process to be more socially aware of others than ourselves. Some people take longer at figuring it out and other people just don't care.

I feel the same way about my hubby and his family. I won't have anything to do with them, but I have NEVER even hinted to him that he shouldn't. They are his family. He deserves to have a relationship with them even though they don't like me.

I only think it's a faux pas if the MOB minds. From what I've read (yeah, I had to look it up because I know nothing about this crap), the MOB has first dibs and her wants and desires outweight the MOG when it comes to chosing a dress for the wedding. But if they all agree, I'm sure that's fine. No faux pas. Afterall, they weren't throwing their drinks at each other, right? LOL
My MIL and mom get along well. The dress my MIL wore was one my mom had actually tried on for herself. I understand trying to coordinate for photos, but how many colors can you have before it is too much? My bridesmaids wore green. My mom and MIL wore pink, so did my grandma-in-law. I am taking mental notes since I have 2 sons and no daughters. I think I will enjoy my limited roll in the wedding planning!

Old 04-11-2011, 03:05 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,906,859 times
I look at that wedding saga thread and think how happy I am nothing like that happens in my family. I feel very lucky for the fact that everyone gets along!

Old 04-11-2011, 03:18 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,819,005 times
Quote:
I'm thinking about his socks. Dont' they need to be cloroxed too? He only wears black socks. Clorox will ruin them.
Put them in the microwave. That's what I had to do with my underwear when I had a certain infection. It kill all the bacteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.