Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2011, 12:14 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm very proud of how resilient we have been through these many transitions. I truly feel our marriage can overcome anything.

He was only OTR a handful of months here and there since he started. The first three years were local---14 hour runs, 6 days per week. Since then he has been regional---48 hour runs, twice a week. Honestly, I saw him more when he was regional than when he was local. He has had more home time as regional. This new regional gig was supposed to be 24 hour runs, three times a week. But when he got back this morning, the company realized they can't make the logistics work. That's why he's in a holding pattern again until they figure out where to put him.
You made my heart melt! I hope they do figure it out soon. That is very frustrating. Does he use a CB radio when he is on the road or has he gone all hi-tech? What does he drive? My dad loved Kenmores and only drove them.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
She better consider selling that house and looking for a smaller place. I think the general public are finding multiples passe and looking into their lives as if it will give them a massive headache. I know I do get a headache when I envision myself in her shoes with all those kids. Heck at this point I will be happy when I get my tubes tied!
I can't even imagine having twins! Two babies at once! Frightening, frightening thought!

Old 09-07-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I can't even imagine having twins! Two babies at once! Frightening, frightening thought!
It is funny babies are like kittens...

They look all cute and cuddly until they become toddlers..

At first you think you want a litter then you start to reconsider when they write on your reupholstered Ethan Allen sofa which you spent $2000 on with permanent marker. Or in the case of the cat claw the crap out of it...

The days of daydreaming of twins are looooooooonnng gone.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Does he use a CB radio when he is on the road or has he gone all hi-tech? What does he drive? My dad loved Kenmores and only drove them.
I'm not sure if the trucks with the new company has CB radios or not. His old company's trucks were equipped. He didn't use them much---sometimes he would give someone directions, or try to wake a trucker who appeared to be dozing off, etc. For the most part, truckers use the CB to break up their boredom. I've heard many stories of guys singing on there, and then everyone yelling at the singer to shut up. But hubby and his coworkers simply used their cell phones to entertain themselves, which is nice because they can keep in touch with each other from different sides of the country. Communication is super important because it helps keep them awake.

As for high tech, his old company's trucks had computers for doing paper work and such. They also had GPS, knew where every truck was at every moment. I think the trucks at his current company are bare bones. His stories now mostly involve he lively personalities of his coworkers.

He drives whatever they give him. Mostly Volvos. Not sure what he's driving now.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
The days of daydreaming of twins are looooooooonnng gone.
I never had that daydream! When I was a teen, I remember watching a newstory of someone with multiples with my mother. Can't remember if it was four or five. My mother was shocked when I told her I'd put all but one up for adoption if that ever happened to me! Even as a kid, I knew my limits! LOL

Old 09-07-2011, 12:39 PM

Hopes I went on the road with my dad once and he had the CB radio on. He got to VA and all you heard was dirty politically incorrect jokes all the way down to Florida. I felt like we were in the movie Smokey and the Bandit. I always remember stopping at a truck stop for breakfast and a trucker friend of his ordered the biggest t bone steak with six eggs, home fries and two biscuits smothered in gravy. All I kept thinking was how the heck is he going to drive without the need for using the bathroom in a couple of hours!

Old 09-07-2011, 12:49 PM

I went with hubby once. I don't know how he endures the boredom when he's by himself. I'm sure CB's kept it interesting back in the day. Funny, we talked about getting my Class A and being a team after the kids were raised, banking all that money away with two salaries for a few of years, renting out our house, living on the road and expensing everything. We would have put away a half a million in no time. Our marriage could handle it. We would have had a blast. My B-12 deficiency ended that. I dont' have the energy to stay awake long enough. We'd end up dead.

Laughing at the bathroom thought. I send hubby with immodium! He always says it's not necessary, but I can't imagine anything worse happening when not near a bathroom!

Old 09-07-2011, 12:56 PM

Time to go. Hubby wanted me to wake him up at 3pm. Nice chatting with you!

Old 09-07-2011, 02:07 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Good afternoon, girls.

Sorry about the strep throat, MrsX. Glad it wasn't an Amoeba!

Aaah, Ewag, there can be trying days on CD, for sure. I'm probably about to get myself booted off, there's a thread in POS .... whoops, I mean P&OC that is just about testing my patience to the nth. I don't know why somedays I get very angry and other days I just go meh, to borrow a word from mm.

Very interesting to hear about MrHopes, Hopes.

I'm sorry if I'm forgetting anybody, attention span of a gnat, have I.

Oh, nummy - thanks for the advice regarding MissFR being nervous you gave me earlier. I didn't even think of that. Good call!

Old 09-07-2011, 02:27 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
LOL @ POS...actually pretty accurate description of much of the happenings "over there"

You guys have been pretty descriptive today. I enjoyed the various acronyms floating around...has provided me with a smile or two....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting