Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2011, 03:10 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
DH e-mailed me this morning to let me know he has to work this Saturday evening. I almost lost it. We have plans to go to a wedding this Saturday evening, and there is no way he can fit both in. I reminded him about the wedding, and he canceled the work thing. I don't know what upset me so much - the fact that his work keeps piling it on and piling it on, or the fact that, again, he is in tune with work, but not with our home life. I'm just over his job. He has been assigned so much more than what he was originally hired to do. It just really got to me today.
Sorry rkb, it's tough for you both. Do you keep an online calendar? The only thing that worked for us was to set up a Google calendar that DH can access with his iPhone, and he synched it to his work calendar. I put everything in there, and then specifically invite him to the important events, such as parent-teacher conferences (and weddings). When he goes to schedule work committments he automatically sees what we have going on at home. It takes a little effort, but for us is the only way for him to know what we are up to.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:14 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Sorry rkb, it's tough for you both. Do you keep an online calendar? The only thing that worked for us was to set up a Google calendar that DH can access with his iPhone, and he synched it to his work calendar. I put everything in there, and then specifically invite him to the important events, such as parent-teacher conferences (and weddings). When he goes to schedule work committments he automatically sees what we have going on at home. It takes a little effort, but for us is the only way for him to know what we are up to.
we used to use Outlook and send each other meeting invitations, but our new computer doesn't support Outlook, so he has his work calendar, and I have our home calendar. We send e-mails with things, like he did this morning, but it isn't the same as both being on outlook. I'm thinking about getting a big wall calendar to put everything on. I'm also thinking about taking him to dinner w/o the kids for a serious chat tonight.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:19 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,957,954 times
Quote:
we used to use Outlook and send each other meeting invitations, but our new computer doesn't support Outlook, so he has his work calendar, and I have our home calendar. We send e-mails with things, like he did this morning, but it isn't the same as both being on outlook. I'm thinking about getting a big wall calendar to put everything on. I'm also thinking about taking him to dinner w/o the kids for a serious chat tonight.
What about google calendar? Do you both have smart phones? We also use a free app called cozi. It's brilliant really. Shared family calendar, to do lists, shopping lists..... Everyone know now it better be in there or they are out of luck.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:19 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Quote:
A serious chat is probably good, although you both sound very stressed. Maybe cool off for a few days? Will a physical calendar work for him? You can configure most online calendars to populate other calendars, such as Outlook. We just use Google because it's super easy to set up, and we can access it on our phones.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:25 PM

Sorry Zim - I just saw you mentioned Google! I was on the iPad so not reading clearly....

I would also think that a physical calendar might not work. I know it would not for my DH. He'd never look at it much less remember what was on it.

I have to say - being that he so easily cancelled the work thing once reminded of the wedding - I'd be really mad too because it obviously wasn't an emergency of some sort. The fact that he didn't check with you first regarding plans - dog house. That being said, some calendar that can be updated electronically by anyone would alleviate a lot of the stress.

I feel for you! Been there for sure.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:32 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Hi girrrls.....

rkb, I'm sorry. That can be very difficult. It is very easy to get so caught up in your work that your life suffers. I hope he can find some balance. Hang in there.

I have a bit of catching up to do!

Thought I'd post a pic of MissFR enjoying the festivities yesterday. This is her absolute favorite thing to do in Philly....

Attached Thumbnails
Parenting Chat Thread #3-280051_251972481484641_100000156736527_1237975_7841040_o.jpg  

Old 07-05-2011, 03:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Well, isn't Little Miss FR a bucket full of cute!

Old 07-05-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Well, isn't Little Miss FR a bucket full of cute!
I'll second that!

That looked like fun. I think I would have been in there with her!

Old 07-05-2011, 04:22 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
FR - what a cutie patootie! That looks like fun!

Old 07-05-2011, 04:23 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
What about google calendar? Do you both have smart phones? We also use a free app called cozi. It's brilliant really. Shared family calendar, to do lists, shopping lists..... Everyone know now it better be in there or they are out of luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
A serious chat is probably good, although you both sound very stressed. Maybe cool off for a few days? Will a physical calendar work for him? You can configure most online calendars to populate other calendars, such as Outlook. We just use Google because it's super easy to set up, and we can access it on our phones.
I'll look into cozi. that sounds neat. I'm more of a paper and pen calendar person. I carry a small one in my purse so I can write things down when they come up. The fact that it is in my purse and not on the wall probably doesn't help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting