Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 01:43 PM

247 posts, read 498,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I was similarly shocked when I read a version of a children's bible. There was too much violence in it portraying only an angry, punishing God.

This was a CHILDREN'S BIBLE that would give preschoolers nightmares!

I remember Noah's Ark being a great childhood story about Noah's family and the animals being saved because Noah was good and the animals were innocent.

This children's bible focused more on God killing everyone in a flood because he was ANGRY.

Yep, definitely pay attention to what you're children see and hear. Not just TV, read that children's bible and pop in on Sunday school classes too!

What bible was this in? I wanna make sure I don't get this one for my little brother!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 01:48 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Disney lost its magic right around the same time MTV lost it's cool. My kids have not grown up with TV, thank you baby Jesus! We do have Netflix and we watch our own DVD's. We also get the public broadcasting channel - here it's OPB and there are some really cool programs on OPB that we watch sometimes. Like History Detectives, Oregon Art Beat, and Oregon Field Guide. Anyway... what do our kids watch?

Our 11 year old's favorite shows right now are Monk (the OCD detective, such a great show...), Northern Exposure (his favorite character is Ed), and the Catherine Tate Show (British comedy, favorite character is the lady that screams at every little sound). He also really likes Creature Comforts, both the British and American versions.

Our 15 year old isn't really into TV at all. He'll watch a film with us about once or twice a week but he's more into reading novels and listening to music. His favorite author right now is Sherman Alexie.

I miss the old Disney. And I want my old MTV back, too.
well said and it's nice to see parenting that is positive and healthy

Old 03-21-2011, 01:55 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I was similarly shocked when I read a version of a children's bible. There was too much violence in it portraying only an angry, punishing God.

This was a CHILDREN'S BIBLE that would give preschoolers nightmares!

I remember Noah's Ark being a great childhood story about Noah's family and the animals being saved because Noah was good and the animals were innocent.

This children's bible focused more on God killing everyone in a flood because he was ANGRY.

Yep, definitely pay attention to what you're children see and hear. Not just TV, read that children's bible and pop in on Sunday school classes too!

methinks some evangelical preacher scared you---most children do not get that message from their religion teachers

Old 03-21-2011, 04:43 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
IDK, the crucifixion is also pretty traumatic...maybe that should be left out of bibles for young people.
The crucifixion is generally not described in detail.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:01 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
The crucifixion is generally not described in detail.
Is the flood?

And, don't know if you've ever been to a Catholic service on Good Friday, but it is actually quite detailed.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:20 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times
Annnnnnd this is why I am not religious, seems to make like complicated.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:27 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,082 times
Instead of placing blame on TV shows, parents should monitor what their kids watch. Even if you aren't around to supervise all TV watching, if you are that concerned it's not hard to look up the content of TV shows on the internet, or block certain channels, or just get rid of the TV!

TV shows are on TV because they make money. Why? People watch them and allow their kids to watch them!

I also don't believe that kids suddenly learn to misbehave because of what they see on TV.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:26 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
Since we've gone a bit OT anyway, I hope I don't get my hand slapped for trolling or something... because all this religious talk really does belong in a different thread somewhere else on CD.... BUT... I thought religion was designed to be scary?

I thought the whole point of organized religions was to scare the follower into being a faithful "true believer" so you don't go to hell and so you end up in heaven with your family and loved ones after you die? And so you behave all your long god-FEARING life and pay your church dues and be a good religious person and raise your children to do the same so that whatever your organized religion of choice may be continues to be a profitable endeavor for the higher-ups who enforce all those commandments upon your formerly free life? Fear perpetuating for all eternity.

My issue with TV is that it's not as out-in-the-open about trying to control you as religion has always been.

At least with religion - if you read the manual and study what you're choosing to practice like a good follower should - you'll know what you're signing up for.

With TV, they influence you with smoke and mirrors and trickery and glitz and glam and all things shiny and new. And there's no book to study and there's no supposed promises for any end of life scenerio. Most people aren't even aware that they are being indoctrinated by their TV's, honestly.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:33 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Since we've gone a bit OT anyway, I hope I don't get my hand slapped for trolling or something... because all this religious talk really does belong in a different thread somewhere else on CD.... BUT... I thought religion was designed to be scary?

I thought the whole point of organized religions was to scare the follower into being a faithful "true believer" so you don't go to hell and so you end up in heaven with your family and loved ones after you die? And so you behave all your long god-FEARING life and pay your church dues and be a good religious person and raise your children to do the same so that whatever your organized religion of choice may be continues to be a profitable endeavor for the higher-ups who enforce all those commandments upon your formerly free life? Fear perpetuating for all eternity.

My issue with TV is that it's not as out-in-the-open about trying to control you as religion has always been.

At least with religion - if you read the manual and study what you're choosing to practice like a good follower should - you'll know what you're signing up for.

With TV, they influence you with smoke and mirrors and trickery and glitz and glam and all things shiny and new. And there's no book to study and there's no supposed promises for any end of life scenerio. Most people aren't even aware that they are being indoctrinated by their TV's, honestly.
I agree with your thoughts on organized religion. Hell-fire and brimstone was a term coined for a reason.

As for TV, well moderation is key, and variety. If my kids watch the kid channels, it doesn't take long for them to start asking for every new toy and gizmo advertised repeatedly on those channels. So we switch it up. They enjoy watching sport, Discovery, etc. I actually prefer Netflix on demand to avoid adverts, and there is so much more variety.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:18 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
We love Instant Streaming Netflix, too. LOVE having no commercials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting