Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 01:46 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,815,609 times

Advertisements

I'm "like around" () 24 and my mom still tries to hold my hand while crossing the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 11:27 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,652,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I'm "like around" () 24 and my mom still tries to hold my hand while crossing the street.
So does mine, and I'm 31

She even invades my shower uninvited and demands she scrape my backside coz I'm taking athletic showers, given that I take three showers a day and am always on the run somewhere

Old 03-23-2011, 11:33 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,652,872 times
Oh, two nights ago I was awake working on a deck for Monday.

She woke up, started throwing a fit and even slapped me. Then brought me coffee LOL. I was telling her she is answerable to my fiancee for any slapping damage she can potentially cause.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:12 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,148,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Like for example; I have relatives like my Aunt(who is like the 2nd mother), My uncle(my father figure), Great Aunt, and a few others that's been knowing that I can take care of myself(such as me knowing when to brush my teeth. wash my clothes, groom myself and a few other things) since I was 8 or 9 years old. Unfortentantly, my does not recognize that and even though I'm 23 she still is trying to be a mother to me like I'm back in elementary and despite a few others like my relatives or her friends suggesting to her(mom) that I'm not a kid anymore she always like to come up with any excuse to keep continuing this cycle. Sure, she is a mother however I believe that parents should "let go" their sons or daughters. Especially when they want their sons or daughters to become responsibile on their own.
Like, move away and like, be done with her! Totally!

I left home at 18. By 23, I had served 4 years in the military, lived in Europe on my own in an apartment, and was putting myself through college. I can't imagine being around a monther at that age who treated me like a child. By 23, you should be on your own or at least in college working on a Masters degree plus working and having your own life.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:21 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,991,457 times
My mom does that to me...she somehow thinks that I cannot function in life without her. Mind you I live up at university for 3/4 of the year without her in my everyday presence. In my case, even if I move out, my mom will still find way to be super-naggy and somewhat controlling about things. My goal is to be able to hang out with friends at my own place in the summertime after graduation!

Old 03-23-2011, 09:25 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,899,725 times
Sorry girls it never ends. My mother was 86 and I was 60 when she was telling me I did my makeup wrong and shouldn't be wearing a certain kind of skirt...... and she had Alzheimers. Once a mother always a mother.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:18 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,955,786 times
All you can do is learn to ignore it or smile and nod, or do both.

Everyday my mom tells me the dumbest crap, like to shut the car door after getting out of the car, she'll say as she's going into the house, "make sure you shut your door" or the other night I was cooking and she told me to make sure I turned off the burners. Half the time I want to reply "no sh*t" but I just stare at her like you just actually told me to do that and she'll walk off.
Sometimes if I am in a bad mood, I'll reply "do I look stupid?".

But find what works for you.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:33 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,895,663 times
If the "adult" acts like an adult, I think it is much easier for moms to let go. If they act like an idiot and tend to have poor impulse control or make unfortunate decisions, then I think that keeps a mom tied longer because she thinks that more "training" is needed.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:40 AM

1,809 posts, read 5,398,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
All you can do is learn to ignore it or smile and nod, or do both.

Everyday my mom tells me the dumbest crap, like to shut the car door after getting out of the car, she'll say as she's going into the house, "make sure you shut your door" or the other night I was cooking and she told me to make sure I turned off the burners. Half the time I want to reply "no sh*t" but I just stare at her like you just actually told me to do that and she'll walk off.
Sometimes if I am in a bad mood, I'll reply "do I look stupid?".

But find what works for you.
Yes! It's like you've been knowing what to do since you were like in elementary school and been having common sense, yet you get treated like you don't know what to do even though you've been knowing for years already.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:53 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,691,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Yes! It's like you've been knowing what to do since you were like in elementary school and been having common sense, yet you get treated like you don't know what to do even though you've been knowing for years already.
But when you're an adult of 23, you are supposed to have evolved PAST what you knew in elementary school.

If you don't demonstrate any evolution of core systems, such as common sense, the ability to comprehend and prepare for future consequences of current behavior, some method of acquiring enough financial stability to become independent, some other method of ensuring that you don't blow all that financial security on the latest skin care or trim for your ride..

if you don't demonstrate that you have evolved beyond the level of elementary school comprehension of life, then you should expect that some people - particularly mom - will continue treating you as though you were in elementary school.

You're 23 and living at home. You lived at home in elementary school. You're an adult, who should be out of the house and living on your own, or creating your own family with a spouse, or at LEAST contributing to the household expenses by footing the grocery and utility bills with your full-time job while you save the rest to get your own place.

It sounds like you have not done this. You have stagnated in your elementary life. So - you're treated like an elementary kid. Do things that adults do to prove that they're independent adults who don't need their mommy around telling them what to do, and your mommy will be less of a nudge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting