Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 01:38 PM

821 posts, read 2,038,382 times

Advertisements

I think its really a point of pick your battle make up shouldnt be a battle.. Why dont you make it a bonding experience take her to a place where they show you how to put makeup on that way you guys can share something and hopefully she will not look like a clown like her other friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 02:06 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms NewYork View Post
What age do you think it's appropriate for a teen to wear make up ? I have a daughter who will turn 17 in April who is not allowed to wear make up. I found out that she has been sneaking and wearing make up behind my back. She is allowed to wear lip gloss only and this is because without any make up she looks older than her age and i know that make up will age her even more. The young ladies that she hangs around with also wears so much make up that they look like clowns and i know my child loves lots of color so what should i do?

I always wonder about these post from new people who never chime back in on the conversation, but I'll put my two cents in anyway.

My daughter will be twelve in a month. She has been allowed to wear lip gloss and recently she's been allowed to wear makeup outside of the house. I showed her how to do it and that it's to accentuate your looks not overpower them. She always check with me about how it looks and if there is too much. I did not have to tell her to do this, but by showing her she trusts my judgement. Atleast on that subject.

BTW, I rarely wear make up. I just bought some for myself, but have yet to use it. My daughter is using it instead, LOL.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:23 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Why is "teens wearing makeup" any different from "teens wearing fashionable clothing"? Or "teens wearing cut or styled hair"? Or "teens wearing contacts"? Or "teens shaving their pits"?

It's all a part of the cultural imperative that people have that drives them to adorn themselves in ways that will make them distinctive or in conformity in appearance, within their social group. It's been with us since Day One.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:13 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times
I dont think mascara or lipgloss would have an impact on acne....that would only be foundation/blush. That I would not allow my daughter to wear, but she would have no desire to anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
I am 20 yrs old and have worn no make up other than lip gloss my whole life. I just dont think you should fix something thats not broken...with that being said my mom would have allowed me to wear make up as I wanted to but I had no such desire. Teens already have problems with acne why would you do something that makes it worse?

Old 03-30-2011, 03:45 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
I am 20 yrs old and have worn no make up other than lip gloss my whole life. I just dont think you should fix something thats not broken...with that being said my mom would have allowed me to wear make up as I wanted to but I had no such desire. Teens already have problems with acne why would you do something that makes it worse?
Pure, mineral-based makeup does not affect acne, in fact it absorbs oil and looks very natural while covering really well. I use it too and love it!

This has been an unpaid product placement for Bare Minerals (tm)

Old 03-30-2011, 03:56 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I let my daughter wear makeup when she wanted to...there are so many other things to worry about...

My daughter's friend, was not allowed to wear makeup, so she would sneak around, and put it on at school, and wash it off before going home...Which is better, just letting your daughter do what she wants, or having her feel like she has to hide things from you?

What is with the control issue anyway...she is growing up. Let her make her own choices. This reminds me of the "christian" Father who tore out his daughter's ear lobes, because she had her ears pierced without his permission...

Old 04-02-2011, 01:49 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I let my daughter wear makeup when she wanted to...there are so many other things to worry about...

My daughter's friend, was not allowed to wear makeup, so she would sneak around, and put it on at school, and wash it off before going home...Which is better, just letting your daughter do what she wants, or having her feel like she has to hide things from you?

What is with the control issue anyway...she is growing up. Let her make her own choices. This reminds me of the "christian" Father who tore out his daughter's ear lobes, because she had her ears pierced without his permission...
Exactly. Choose your battles. When my daughter was in 7th grade, she decided she wanted to dye her hair auburn (it was dark blonde) and I let her. Some of her peers' moms were shocked and appalled. A few years later their daughters were dying their hair black, dressing in all black, and looking like they fell face-first into a fishing tackle box, and my kid was back to embracing a natural look. Kids are going to experiment with their looks. It's a time when they want to express themselves with how they look.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:19 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Exactly. Choose your battles. When my daughter was in 7th grade, she decided she wanted to dye her hair auburn (it was dark blonde) and I let her. Some of her peers' moms were shocked and appalled. A few years later their daughters were dying their hair black, dressing in all black, and looking like they fell face-first into a fishing tackle box, and my kid was back to embracing a natural look. Kids are going to experiment with their looks. It's a time when they want to express themselves with how they look.
OMG!
That's so true yet so scary that it is true.

I have experimented and dyed and put on make-up and I have done blue and red in my hair, i've done the bottom half blond and the top half brown, ive dyed it strawberry blond, I've gone with all one length to shoulder length with lots of layers and all edgy looking. I've done bright colors for eye shadow, i've done dark eyeliner.

But you have a point, while the rest of my peers are all tattoo'd up, with lots of piercings, I am back to my natural color and a fairly natural look, im really into eye shadow right now but the stuff I have is from covergirl or maybelline and the colors are labeled "chic naturals" its browns (light and dark) and a smokey grey which looks really cute.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:29 AM

141 posts, read 293,090 times
I started wearing light makeup when I was about 12.

I went through this...phase where I wore heavy makeup- I think a lot of girls go through it. Now, I'm pretty much a pro and use very natural-looking mineral makeup

Oh, girls that dyed their hair jet-black and such, but I never really went overboard with makeup after that.

My motto is, if a guy talks about your makeup, you're wearing too much.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:03 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I was wearing light make-up in 6th grade and by 8th grade my mom never told me things like "you're wearing too much" or ever told me to go wipe some off.

Your daughter is just over a year from being an adult and she can't wear make-up, that's not right.
Kudos to her to taking control of her life a little, if she's already doing it, admit defeat, just let her wear it.
So what if she looks older? Is she a smart kid? Is a little make-up going to turn her into the town bike?

*hands you a pair of scissors*
*points to the umbilical cord*

It's time....
My mom was like that, not so much with makeup but with almost everything else. She was unbelievably controlling. Guess what happened- I went crazy as soon as I moved out. Things other kids went through at 15, I was doing at age 20. I caused myself harm by just trying to experience the world and my new found, now limitless, freedom. Plus I was so nieve because I'd had such limited exposure to the real world and I had to learn the hard way how things work. Imo, nothing good comes from this type of parenting as it can very negatively impact the kid's future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting