Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:26 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'm another who doesn't get anything out of seeing some random guy's pubes poking out from under the leg-seams of his speedos. Or even worse - poking THROUGH the fabric out in front. I get the urge to tug on those little hairs and teach them WHY speedos are for competitive swimming, and not for anything else. Ever.
ROTFL, thanks for the vision and the laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I totally agree. And I'm not against them making money, or sexiness for that matter, but they have marketing teams that pinpoint a section of society that's vulnerable and open to suggestion (young girls) and go after their business in a pretty calculating fashion. Also, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they knew the uproar this would cause and marketed it to the girls who don't actually have boobs just to generate publicity. That's what they do, that's their job. To brand their products. And they're certainly good at that.

I agree with you and agree that it is wrong to target this age group, I guess my thought process is this: they saw a market and if parents give in to everything their kids want, even if it is in the parents eyes, inappropriate, then can corporate America really be blamed. So the responsiblity lies with the parents being willing to tell their child, no.

FWIW, I have noticed because I have a child in elementary so I have been there quite a bit, that girls seem to be developing so much faster. There is alittle girl in my son's 4th grade class and she is 10, that is fully developed, so developed when I saw her I thought she was at least in the 8th grade. I see middle school girls that aren't as developed as she is, so I could see her wanting a padded swimming suit top. Geez I don't think I fully developed my boobs into well into high school.

Last edited by ajzjmsmom; 03-30-2011 at 08:53 AM..

Old 03-30-2011, 08:36 AM

466 posts, read 815,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
What's interesting is that the one girl with precocious development in my fifth-grade class of 1977 tried valiantly to hide her breasts. I still remember that her name was Vicki. How times have changed!
I agree! I developed super early. By third grade, I was a 34B and I HATED it. I had to wear a bra and didn't want to because no one else was. This would have been back in 1983-84. I was so embarassed and just wanted them to go away. I refused to wear a bra some days and would just put on my coat and go to school flopping around.

Believe me, I was the one 8-year-old you would WANT to wear a bra. LOL

Old 03-30-2011, 08:39 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'm another who doesn't get anything out of seeing some random guy's pubes poking out from under the leg-seams of his speedos. Or even worse - poking THROUGH the fabric out in front. I get the urge to tug on those little hairs and teach them WHY speedos are for competitive swimming, and not for anything else. Ever.
Or the old guys..ummm..hanging low, shall we say? Beans and franks are to be kept under wraps, people!!!

Old 03-30-2011, 08:51 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,566 times
I have a friend that is both gay and European. Lets just say speedos come with the package. No pun intended

Old 03-30-2011, 08:57 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I agree with you and agree that it is wrong to target this age group, I guess my thought process is this: they saw a market and if parents give in to everything their kids want, even if it is in the parents eyes, inappropriate, then can corporate America really be blamed. So the responsiblity lies with the parents being willing to tell their child, no.

FWIW, I have noticed because I have a child in elementary so I have been there quite a bit, that girls seem to be developing so much faster. There is alittle girl in my sons's 4th grade class and she is 10, that is fully developed, so developed when I saw her I thought she was at least in the 8th grade. I see middle school girls that aren't as developed as she is, so I could see her wanting a padded swimming suit top. Geez I don't think I fully developed my boobs into well into high school.
I'm not blaming corporate America. I think blame is the wrong word, for me. They're going to do what they're going to do, and they have the right to do it. We don't have to go along with it, though, is what I'm getting at. It's about us setting the boundaries, which we are - for the most part. Like you are, at home. Just not buying the stuff isn't enough, though.

Also, although they've changed their tune somewhat - the initial marketing blitz was for push-up swimsuits, not padded bras. I think there's a huge difference.

Quote:
Abercrombie & Fitch, bowing to a torrent of criticism, has decided against marketing push-up bikini tops to girls as young as 7. "We've re-categorized the Ashley swimsuit as padded," according to a statement posted Monday on the Abercrombie Kids Facebook page. "We agree with those who say it is best 'suited' for girls age 12 and older."
Abercrombie & Fitch rethinks marketing provocative bikini tops to tweens *| ajc.com

Old 03-30-2011, 09:16 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
FWIW, I have noticed because I have a child in elementary so I have been there quite a bit, that girls seem to be developing so much faster. There is alittle girl in my son's 4th grade class and she is 10, that is fully developed, so developed when I saw her I thought she was at least in the 8th grade. I see middle school girls that aren't as developed as she is, so I could see her wanting a padded swimming suit top. Geez I don't think I fully developed my boobs into well into high school.
My daughter's in that situation right now...she's one of very few kids in her class who needs a bra. She wears the molded-cup underwires because that's what she prefers. She's very worried about looking "pointy" in a bathing suit. She can wear small women's clothes or junior's clothes though. She wouldn't wear a bikini, but I could definitely imagine buying her a tankini or one-piece that had some foam in the top.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I'm not blaming corporate America. I think blame is the wrong word, for me. They're going to do what they're going to do, and they have the right to do it. We don't have to go along with it, though, is what I'm getting at. It's about us setting the boundaries, which we are - for the most part. Like you are, at home. Just not buying the stuff isn't enough, though.

Also, although they've changed their tune somewhat - the initial marketing blitz was for push-up swimsuits, not padded bras. I think there's a huge difference.

Abercrombie & Fitch rethinks marketing provocative bikini tops to tweens *| ajc.com

Maybe my confusion comes from AF marketing them to tweens, in my mind, I personally would never refer to an 8-10 yr old as a tween, to me they are children. 11 and 12 yr olds are tweens, and usually there is a bit of difference both physically and emotionally between a 8 yr old and a 12 yr old so I can see the attraction for a padded swimsuit tops for tweens.

Blame probably is the wrong word, should corporate American be more responsible in what they make accessible for children, yes they should, will they, no they won't. So then it is up to the parents to refuse to buy it, if there is no market then, they make no money.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:05 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
So then it is up to the parents to refuse to buy it, if there is no market then, they make no money.
It's a two way street.

The majority does reside in the family home.

That still does nothing to curtail the constant bombardment of images that young children see & hear every day in every possible way.

Of course the parent does not have to agree;buy; can sit down & talk to their child. Of course & many parents do indeed do such a thing.

Still, their young child wants to look like the picture.

A & F never has & never will design for the middle of the road child. It has always pushed advertising boundaries & designed clothes to fit & look a specific way.

A & F has no desire to reach out to the fully developed 8yr old girl who is struggling w/ body image issues.

It has every intention to reach out to a specific crowd, socioeconomic background.

There will be & always are a handful of parents who give in, don't care or agree.

And there will always be parents (all of us, no matter what, do this at one time or the other) who will buy something for our child in a certain store, be it a $60 sweatshirt or $100 pair of boots, so the child feels acceptable.

"If you don't like it, don't buy it" can be spoken of until blue in the face.

But stores such as A & F have no intention of trying to help children be aware of social & moral values. If anything, they do indeed figure out everything to do in order to get the media attention.

Wonder how many posters on here alone at least looked up the swimsuit?

Stores & restaurants are not responsible for raising our children. We are. That debate is a no brainer.

But, stores & restaurants should have a part in being aware of how their advertising & how their clothes are designed do indeed impact how children veiw themselves in THEIR circle.

We as GROWN UPs get it. But our 9,10, 13 yr old children are not grownups. They just want to be accepted (yes, got it that there is always the child who doesn't care what the other kids think) & stores like A & F tell them what it is ok to look like.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:19 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
It's a two way street.

The majority does reside in the family home.

That still does nothing to curtail the constant bombardment of images that young children see & hear every day in every possible way.

Of course the parent does not have to agree;buy; can sit down & talk to their child. Of course & many parents do indeed do such a thing.

Still, their young child wants to look like the picture.

A & F never has & never will design for the middle of the road child. It has always pushed advertising boundaries & designed clothes to fit & look a specific way.

A & F has no desire to reach out to the fully developed 8yr old girl who is struggling w/ body image issues.

It has every intention to reach out to a specific crowd, socioeconomic background.

There will be & always are a handful of parents who give in, don't care or agree.

And there will always be parents (all of us, no matter what, do this at one time or the other) who will buy something for our child in a certain store, be it a $60 sweatshirt or $100 pair of boots, so the child feels acceptable.

"If you don't like it, don't buy it" can be spoken of until blue in the face.

But stores such as A & F have no intention of trying to help children be aware of social & moral values. If anything, they do indeed figure out everything to do in order to get the media attention.

Wonder how many posters on here alone at least looked up the swimsuit?

Stores & restaurants are not responsible for raising our children. We are. That debate is a no brainer.

But, stores & restaurants should have a part in being aware of how their advertising & how their clothes are designed do indeed impact how children veiw themselves in THEIR circle.

We as GROWN UPs get it. But our 9,10, 13 yr old children are not grownups. They just want to be accepted (yes, got it that there is always the child who doesn't care what the other kids think) & stores like A & F tell them what it is ok to look like.
Yep. That about sums that up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting