Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 06:59 AM

378 posts, read 576,865 times

Advertisements

He wasn't honoring your culture. You are assuming his culture is the same as yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 07:12 AM

192 posts, read 436,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
If he had it done at a tattoo parlor, the artist could lose his license.

The Law Relating to Body Piercing and Tattoos - Beauty Treatment Expert
Thanks. Maybe it was a DIY job then - otherwise we'd probably be hearing about the tattoo artist as well.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:09 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I don't see how ear piercing (you didn't do it yourself did you NJ?) and tattooing at home are on the same level. And one certainly wouldn't lop off a foreskin with a kitchen knife in the living room. (those of us who frequent the chat thread notwithstanding ).

If you (generic you) just sat and stuck your kid with a needle over and over for ten minutes, would that not constitute abuse? Doing it for the sake of a tattoo is actually worse.

Ear piercing and circumcision have been ingrained in our cultures for centuries, and are perfectly socially acceptable for children, but tattooing (in the western world) is not, and I don't think it should start.

Parents don't have a right to frivolously alter their kids' bodies without their consent, and that includes botox, lip enhancement, Prince Alberts, nipple piercings, or any other thing a parent thinks is necessary that the child may not.

Tattoos are the most personal thing you can do yourself. Nobody in their right mind should think it's ok to tattoo someone else, including their own children.
No we didn't pierce their ears ourselves. Our pediatrician actually did it as part of the services they offer. We wanted to get it done and figured the pediatricians office was a better choice than the mall.

I'm still stuck on whether or not this is "abuse" or just stupidity. I can see both sides. I don't agree with it being done, but I am also sure there are people who don't agree with choices I would make either, like ear piercing or circumcision, which some view as being just as much of a mutilation for "frivolous" reasons as this tattoo.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:16 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedskjaer View Post
He wasn't honoring your culture. You are assuming his culture is the same as yours.
Oh for goodness' sake.

Drinking beer and tattooing your child in Georgia is NOT a cultural issue.

It was such a great cultural rite of passage and homage to the family's hereditary traditions that the guy doesn't even remember doing it.

I don't usually do this but:

Old 04-07-2011, 08:17 AM

378 posts, read 576,865 times
Try playing devil's advocate.
I think it was stupid to tattoo the child, but it wasn't abuse.
I can see from your side how pierced ears is just this minor thing and it will heal over.
But I can extend that to most other piercings, like in the eyebrow or nose.
Tattoos are also just as valid in a society that accepts the cultural traditions, new and old, of others, individuals and family.
Objectively seen, tattoos are no different.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:46 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Why do we always have to compare lizards to doughnuts?

Tattooing children is bad. What it's better or worse than is irrelevant, for crying out loud.

And because someone from the planet Zod tattooed identical twins on the foot, that doesn't make this dad any less culpable for his actions.

well, i think circumcising a defenseless little boy is horriffic.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:07 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Aaah! My home state, makes me so proud. The laws here are so strict for inking and piercing minors that in most counties tattoo shops are not even allowed to pierce kids ears. The bored teenage girl in the mall jewellery store can do it, but the professional piercer can't. Makes sense, huh?

Old 04-07-2011, 09:51 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
well, i think circumcising a defenseless little boy is horriffic.
I think not doing it is. Different strokes and all that jazz...

That said, tattooing a child is not even in the same ball park. This is just stupid and I need to reiterate my dream of chlorine for the gene pool.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:56 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
I think not doing it is. Different strokes and all that jazz...

That said, tattooing a child is not even in the same ball park. This is just stupid and I need to reiterate my dream of chlorine for the gene pool.
Not that I disagree with you in general, but I can see the angle others are taking which is why I'm a bit torn. I did circumcize my son, but it isn't a far stretch to see it as nothing more than genital mutilation. Which, unlike a tattoo, is permanent and irreversible. Also, it isn't a common practice at all outside of the United States.

I'll never forget the German exchange program I was part of in high school. The German guys were all like, "is it true...you know...you're all *snip* *snip* down there?" When we said yeah, they all had a look of pain and agony on their faces. When we asked is it true you aren't and they said yes, we were all like, "ewww, that's nasty".

Ah, the joys of cultural exchange among teenages, lol. It was all cool though, cause some of the German girls were pretty interested in seeing what that was all about....the American girls, not so much.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:03 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Not that I disagree with you in general, but I can see the angle others are taking which is why I'm a bit torn. I did circumcize my son, but it isn't a far stretch to see it as nothing more than genital mutilation. Which, unlike a tattoo, is permanent and irreversible. Also, it isn't a common practice at all outside of the United States.

I'll never forget the German exchange program I was part of in high school. The German guys were all like, "is it true...you know...you're all *snip* *snip* down there?" When we said yeah, they all had a look of pain and agony on their faces. When we asked is it true you aren't and they said yes, we were all like, "ewww, that's nasty".

Ah, the joys of cultural exchange among teenages, lol. It was all cool though, cause some of the German girls were pretty interested in seeing what that was all about....the American girls, not so much.
Circumcision is also a health concern. I had zero interest in taking the risk of my sons having to do it later in life so I did it right away. I also fully admit it is a cosmetic thing to me as well as not having to have my sons go through any ewwww like you just explained.

Tatoos are not a health concern. Ever. I get what you are saying and I don't think the guy should be hauled to jail for abuse but it doesn't make him less of a moron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting