Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 09:05 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
I would not suggest this. Many deaths have been because of this and it doesn't do any good for marriage relationship. Kids should sleep in their own beds.
If the parents drink to excess or use drugs, then definitely they shouldn't have a newborn in the bed but it's very unlikely deaths would happen otherwise.

In fact there are studies showing the opposite, the movements and breathing of the mother can help the baby establish normal breathing patterns, and can jiggle them out of sleep apnea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 09:16 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmom View Post
Many deaths and injuries have also been caused by cribs. It's really up to the individual families. The overwhelming majority of humanity from the beginning of time until now has practiced a variation of family bed. We have done it since day one and wouldn't have it any other way (until they decide they want to sleep in their own beds of course). It's not for everyone, but then again what is???
Exactly.

There are also solutions in the middle, let the baby cuddle up with the parents, then move the baby to it's own bed after the baby has fallen to sleep.

Many working parents can't go without sleep - the easiest solution is to not make bedtime a battle zone and go the natural way. Everyone gets a good night sleep and the baby gets cuddle time.

It's not a big deal - infancy and early childhood years are short. By the time the child is about 2, often they will move on their own to a small bed near the parents or be found at the foot of the bed by morning because they start wanting their space. Or get a little bed next to the parents' bed for a few months. Peace at last - it can be done.

Often it's the vivid imaginations and nightmares that cause a child to fear being all alone in a room at night. They quickly grow out of this stage -- and if nighttime is remembered as a cozy and cuddly time, they'll have less fear even when older. Usually they're just lonely and afraid, it's really not about being little brats.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
benadryl

Of course if you don't want to drug you child, you could try chamomile tea. Make some with a little honey or sugar, put it in her bottle and she might fall back asleep.

When our oldest daughter was about two, she went through that. She would wake up around 2am and not go to sleep. Our ped suggested melatonin drops, and it worked like a charm. We used it for a few months and she eventually started sleeping on her own without it. Not sure at your childs age if you could use it. Ask your ped. But try the tea first.
No honey for kids under one year, due to the danger of botulism.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:07 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liloulou View Post
Hi all (again)

I put my baby down in her crib sleepy but definitely awake for 8 1/2 months and she would fall asleep on her own. If she woke up, I'd give her a paci and she'd go back to sleep.

About a week ago, she had a mental growth spurt and now she won't go sleep after she has her bottle and I put her in her crib. She crawls around, pulls herself up, and won't settle down unless I stand by her crib and she watches me as she falls asleep. Now, in the middle of the night, if she wakes up, she won't go back to sleep on her own anymore either. She wants to nurse, which we had cut out quite a few months ago already.

I tried to let her cry it out, but after an hour she was just more worked up and I felt terrible seeing her exhausted and so overwhelmed. I don't really want to do that.

It's the middle of the night waking that is bothering me the most. I don't want to spend an hour trying to comfort her in the middle of the night, every night, when I've got a full day the next day... It's now already taking almost an hour to put her to bed too.

Any thoughts on innovative ways to get her to sleep?
This is the age when babies realize that they are separate people from their mothers. When mothers leave, babies are afraid that they will disappear forever. It's an emotional growth spurt.

At this age babies have to learn to put themselves to sleep and back to sleep.
I would reassure her that you're going to be there, rub her back, soothe her for a few minutes, tell her goodnight, that you will see her in the morning, and go back to bed. Let her learn how to soothe herself. It's like any other skill, she needs to learn it. Spending an hour putting her to sleep is ridiculous. Set up a bedtime routine and stick to it. She'll learn how it works and how to put herself to sleep.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:09 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Exactly.

There are also solutions in the middle, let the baby cuddle up with the parents, then move the baby to it's own bed after the baby has fallen to sleep.

Many working parents can't go without sleep - the easiest solution is to not make bedtime a battle zone and go the natural way. Everyone gets a good night sleep and the baby gets cuddle time.

It's not a big deal - infancy and early childhood years are short. By the time the child is about 2, often they will move on their own to a small bed near the parents or be found at the foot of the bed by morning because they start wanting their space. Or get a little bed next to the parents' bed for a few months. Peace at last - it can be done.

Often it's the vivid imaginations and nightmares that cause a child to fear being all alone in a room at night. They quickly grow out of this stage -- and if nighttime is remembered as a cozy and cuddly time, they'll have less fear even when older. Usually they're just lonely and afraid, it's really not about being little brats.
So, it's good to trick them? Let them think that their parents will be nearby until they are fast asleep, and then slip them into separate beds so when they wake up they wonder why their parents disappeared? Needless to say, I don't agree with this. I think it increases fears of abandonment.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:00 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,863 times
Oh dear, after last night's escapade I'm going to try the cry it out again. I'm getting the baby to fall asleep on her own at bedtime, but she's waking 2-10 times a night and cries for me. Until I bring her in the bed, nurse her and cuddle. Denton- you're right... it's the she's separate thing that is definitely in play here. If I leave the door to her bedroom open as she falls asleep that helps.

I was hoping I could turn her on to a stuffed animal as a mommy substitute, but that doesn't seem to work (yet anyway).

I'm exhausted today....(yaawwwn).

Old 04-18-2011, 10:08 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,060 times
How about a co-sleeper?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting