Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 09:34 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times

Advertisements

Wow. They are seriously not "old." If you wrote about a couple who were in their late eighties or nineties, I could understand, but sixties?

They should be totally independent and enjoying their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 06:37 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,237,972 times
I don't think my parents are old, but they do have medical problems that do hinder their getting around well...But, I will continue to help when and where I can...I've had their power bill and phone bill and I already have their cells on my account forwarded to my house, My mom just noticed (it's been 3 months)...But, I like them having extra money so when they are able they can go and do things...

Old 04-12-2011, 07:45 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
You sound like a really good daughter; they are so lucky to have you!

My only advice, other than integrating them into your family life (out to dinner, lunch, whatever) would be not to make them dependent before it's time.

Your boys are older now ~ take some time for YOU. Before you know it, your parents may actually need lots of care and there will be no more time for you.

But I'll be they will be happier and you will be happier if they are independent for as long as their health allows.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:33 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Wow. They are seriously not "old." If you wrote about a couple who were in their late eighties or nineties, I could understand, but sixties?

They should be totally independent and enjoying their lives.
Sorry but not everyone gets that gift. My father was severely wounded in WWII and paid the price with ill health the rest of his life. By his mid-sixties he'd lost much of the use of his hands and legs. (It's happening today. They're called Wounded Warriors.)

OK, Back to the OP: First, bless you for being so concerned. One of the things you might consider is insuring their house is as safe and easy to use as possible. Removing things like scatter rugs. Putting grab bars in the tub/shower. Installing higher seats on the toilet.

There are catalogs and web sites that have items that will help. Handles on doors instead of round knobs which aren't easy to grasp. Covers that can go on keys to make them easier to hold. Special forks and knives that have fat handles and make them easier to hold.

If you are interested this might be a good place to start:

Senior Care Supplies - Browse senior health products and care supplies

Old 04-13-2011, 10:02 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Elderly parents?

Um, my husband is 63 and our kids are 6 and 7 What kind of help would we need? Maybe running the kids to the music lessons? Preparing for the funerals? We need to see the kids through the school yet

Seriously, - if they don't ask and don't seem to need anything, excessive offerings of help is like a gentle reminder that they are about to expire? They need the opposite, I think, - treated as if they are still alive (which they are): offered fishing, camping, travel, taking college classes, dancing, book club, gardening, whatever.
I was thinking the same thing. My parents are mid-60s and I don't consider them "elderly" or worry about them falling and breaking a hip! I suppose if you don't take care of yourself your entire life, you would run into health issues in your 60s.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:06 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Bellieve me you can still "take care of yourself your whole life" and still run into health issues in your 60's. I never did drugs, only smoked for a few years in my 20's, stayed slim and fit, never really drank, worse a seat belt, used sun screen, on and on and at 64 I have bunches of health issues, some caused by genetics and one in particular caused by negligent doctor.

We are 64 and 71 with two adopted kids 8 and 9 and 2 grown kids. DH doesn't take any meds and is in good health but I'm not so well.

We are not elderly and we still can keep up with our kids. Now 80 is elderly but even now it seems a lot of 80 year olds are still independent.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I'll join the chorus of not calling people in their 60s "elderly". 65 is retirement age these days; soon it will be 66 and there is talk of raising it to 70. People who are working full time are not "elderly".

As far as specific health problems, that is a different issue. But please don't frame this as an elderly problem. Falls can be serious. I don't know how you can address this with your dad. You can try to make suggestions for decreasing the possibility that he will fall in the house. Having had a father who took care of my mother after she became disabled at age 64 (he was 72), I'd advise keeping a close eye on things and not believing everything they tell you if they say everything is "OK".

Old 04-14-2011, 02:57 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,237,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I was thinking the same thing. My parents are mid-60s and I don't consider them "elderly" or worry about them falling and breaking a hip! I suppose if you don't take care of yourself your entire life, you would run into health issues in your 60s.

Sorry, but cancer doesn't know the age, and doesn't care...

Old 04-14-2011, 09:25 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
What an ignorant comment. I guess people who get cancer or MS while in their 30s or 40s didn't take care of themselves.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:54 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
What an ignorant comment. I guess people who get cancer or MS while in their 30s or 40s didn't take care of themselves.
The OP didn't say the parents had cancer. She made it sound like they were just going downhill due to old age. Cancer or MS are obviously very different issues that affect people of all ages. Although how you eat, exercise, and take care of yourself can prevent certain cancers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting