Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 09:17 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times

Advertisements

This is a rant

My wife picks up our grandsons, ages 8 and 10 from school. On the way home another driver pulls out of a side street into the side of our van.

No one is injured, but police are called, reports made, information exchanged between drivers.

Within days we start receiving mail addressed to my wife from chiropractic practices and pain clinics from all over town. No surprise there.

BUT our daughter is receiving a bunch of mail from chiropractic and pain clinics (7 just today, bring the count to 17) addressed to the parents of _____ and _____ at her home. There were listed on the police report as passengers.

Why can the names of minors be released to the public? If a minor is arrested for a crime, they and their family are protected from having their names revealed, but involved in a minor accident and there is obviously no concern about releasing information about minors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 10:40 AM

385 posts, read 859,156 times
I don't know why that is but if you contact these people and tell them they are soliciting minors they may stop, here in Pa., if a minor commets a crime or is even cought out after curfew thier name and area in which they live and where they were cought is published in the local paper, needless to say it's fairly quite in Quarkertown.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsong View Post
I don't know why that is but if you contact these people and tell them they are soliciting minors they may stop, here in Pa., if a minor commets a crime or is even cought out after curfew thier name and area in which they live and where they were cought is published in the local paper, needless to say it's fairly quite in Quarkertown.
I guess in the legal aspect they are soliciting the parents, the fact their information was released in the first place by the police department is my issue.

True accident reports are public record, but I also believe that minors listed on them should not be. If nothing else to block out their personal information to those making blanket requests for accident reports, i.e. those attempting to profit.

Here is a minor is arrested for a crime, the information released contains no personal information, but will merely state "a 14 year old male" was arrested for .................

Gratefully I also don't live someplace where curfews are necessary.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:10 PM

157 posts, read 140,706 times
I would be calling the police department to find out why they disclosed the names of minors. Nothing is gained by doing so and it's an intrusion when mail is sent because of it. It's no one's business.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:31 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
In many places accident reports are public record and are pulled on a regular basis by reporters covering the police beat. They have to be complete for later possible litigation. Altering or censoring by the police would give any attorney a field day in court.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
In many places accident reports are public record and are pulled on a regular basis by reporters covering the police beat. They have to be complete for later possible litigation. Altering or censoring by the police would give any attorney a field day in court.
No indication that a reporter is involved, but the chiropractic and pain clinics have filled our mailbox, and today the junk mail from 5 or 6 sleezly personal injury law firms came.

I understand the public record aspect, but I also am incensed that the names of minors that were in the vehicle are released to these predatory businesses.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:04 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,423,548 times
Reporters can go into a police station and ask for arrest records and such, not sure about anywhere else but here in FL thats what they do.
It is completly wrong in my opinion to have acess to any information about minors..
There too many sickos out there.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:45 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
An interesting aspect of this is that while the information is a "public record", it is also a HIPPA violation, ie, health information, injury from an auto accident that is released without the prior knowledge or consent of the injured party. That, in and of itself, is breakiung a federal law. I wonder if anyone has ever followed up on that aspect of public record vs. Private health information. Especially as the information released is being used by medical practioners to solicit for additional medical services.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
Reporters can go into a police station and ask for arrest records and such, not sure about anywhere else but here in FL thats what they do.
It is completly wrong in my opinion to have acess to any information about minors..
There too many sickos out there.
Here, they can ask, but they will not be given the name of minors that are arrested. Information released is basically limited to gender and age.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
An interesting aspect of this is that while the information is a "public record", it is also a HIPPA violation, ie, health information, injury from an auto accident that is released without the prior knowledge or consent of the injured party. That, in and of itself, is breakiung a federal law. I wonder if anyone has ever followed up on that aspect of public record vs. Private health information. Especially as the information released is being used by medical practioners to solicit for additional medical services.
Hadn't even thought about that aspect. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting