Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2011, 10:03 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,805,909 times

Advertisements

I have one very important question before I weigh in.

Are there peanuts in these eggs/ovoids/spheres?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 10:49 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
I have one very important question before I weigh in.

Are there peanuts in these eggs/ovoids/spheres?
Zing!

Personally, I think it's all an evil plot by speech therapists to boost business. "Sorry Mrs. Dudley but little Darnell can't pronounce 'Spring Spheres' to meet the minimum standards set by the state. We're recommending he get help before it starts holding him back."

Old 04-14-2011, 11:34 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,596 times

Last edited by Aconite; 04-14-2011 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: nailing jello to a herd of cats. Again.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:40 PM

157 posts, read 140,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
For those who think that the public schools are not in good shape for academics, realize how much celebrating these things takes away from time for actual teaching. Coloring pages don't teach much about anything even art. Having a party is social time, but it doesn't help with academics.
Oh, please. That's the lamest excuse I've ever heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm saying that sanitizing any differences between children regardless of what those differences are, is the exact polar opposite of tolerance.
EXACTLY. Making every day and every child the same does not teach the diversity of the world in any stretch of the imagination. Not even the diversity of a community or family.

Stay away from teaching about the different holidays that come up, or the differences in groups of people and grow narrow minds.

PC crams down our throats that everybody is the same, everybody is equal in all the same ways AND THEY'RE NOT.

Quote:
I do take an interest in the topic. I do think that people are way too concerned with everything being "fair" at the cost of tolerance.
I agree. We have to be fair and teach that everybody is the same so we don't have to teach differences and learn to tolerate those differences.

Years ago, a father went to the school where his young daughter was a student. They were atheists and he was offended that his daughter participated in something at school that acknowledged that a God existed. He demanded that the school change their age old traditions to accommodate him teaching his daughter that there is no God.

After that, all hell broke loose. For one student, the entire school changed. No more Christmas. After that hit the media, the whole country changed.

As a parent, I resent those changes.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:01 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,555,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by standupandbecounted View Post
We have to be fair and teach that everybody is the same so we don't have to teach differences and learn to tolerate those differences.
Huh?

Old 04-14-2011, 01:19 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,722,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by standupandbecounted View Post
Oh, please. That's the lamest excuse I've ever heard.

EXACTLY. Making every day and every child the same does not teach the diversity of the world in any stretch of the imagination. Not even the diversity of a community or family.

Stay away from teaching about the different holidays that come up, or the differences in groups of people and grow narrow minds.

PC crams down our throats that everybody is the same, everybody is equal in all the same ways AND THEY'RE NOT.

I agree. We have to be fair and teach that everybody is the same so we don't have to teach differences and learn to tolerate those differences.

Years ago, a father went to the school where his young daughter was a student. They were atheists and he was offended that his daughter participated in something at school that acknowledged that a God existed. He demanded that the school change their age old traditions to accommodate him teaching his daughter that there is no God.

After that, all hell broke loose. For one student, the entire school changed. No more Christmas. After that hit the media, the whole country changed.

As a parent, I resent those changes.
How would you like it if they acknowledged that a God did NOT exist? You might not care, but many parents out there would be outraged.

It's one thing to teach that some people believe in X, Y, or Z, but schools walk a very fine line between acknowledging and celebrating or actively promoting.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:24 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
It's one thing to teach that some people believe in X, Y, or Z, but schools walk a very fine line between acknowledging and celebrating or actively promoting.
Exactly.

I think most on here have expressed they think it's fine and in fact a good thing to teach about different cultures, religions, etc (more so when older). Helps tie in world history. Good to understand where others are coming from.

There is a big difference between teaching and celebrating. At that point, unless you are going to celebrate every religious/cultural holiday that comes along, you are better off not doing any.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:35 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
What does that even mean? You only celebrate what you imagine the majority believes and screw everyone else? How do you even know what other people believe and what they celebrate?

The point I keep bringing up is that because this is never discussed in any kind of meaningful way, people make assumptions about the beliefs and practices of others, but don't actually know for sure. All I ever suggest is for people to be informed. Find out about what others around you actually do believe, you may be surprised.

It means that we don't think everything is about us. It means we can all have an open dialogue about out beliefs (or lack thereof) if we so choose. It means that if Main Street Elementary has colored easter eggs it isn't an attack on the kids that don't celebrate at home.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:49 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,555,831 times
Quote:
It means that we don't think everything is about us. It means we can all have an open dialogue about out beliefs (or lack thereof) if we so choose. It means that if Main Street Elementary has colored easter eggs it isn't an attack on the kids that don't celebrate at home.
I agree with you. But I also know in the real world that if Main Street Elementary School gave out cookies to celebrate Ramadan there would be more than a few complaints.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:58 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times
Interestingly, one of the major objections that observant Jews have about the way Hannukah is treated in the public schools is that the celebration is sanitized and kids are taught about things like the dreidel and latkes, but not about what Hannukah actually means. Note that Hannukah is a very minor celebration in Judaism and the only reason that it is taken up in school is that it happens to occur in December.

Regaining the Importance of Chanukah in the American Jewish Home - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

Quote:
Things have only become more confusing. The increasing commercialization of this minor, non-Scriptural holiday generates the biggest sales of the year for purveyors of Judaica. The Hanukkah menorah, now the most widely owned Jewish ritual object has burst out of its traditional forms. You can find them made of everything from metal to glass to wood to wax (yep! wax.). The forms range from traditional to looking like a 67 VW van, to ones in the shape of synagogues from around the world, to Hello Kitty themed menorahs.
Quote:
The bigger Hanukkah is made, the more it feels like a poor copy of a secular Christmas. I think it is time to turn things around. Hanukkah was never meant to be a huge blowout.. It is a historic celebration based on tales out of the books of the Maccabees in the Apocrypha. The miracle of the oil is a tale devised later by rabbis to put the focus on God and to take it off the soldiers. It is part of the mythology, not the history of the holiday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting