Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2011, 01:54 PM

157 posts, read 140,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I would rather say Happy Holidays to my local Jewish/Hindu/Islamic storekeeper than Merry Christmas, because it still offers good wishes of the general season while respecting the fact that many of your neighbors DO NOT celebrate Christmas.

That's all it is, for most people. A simple acknowledgement that somebody just may not be celebrating the same occasion as yourself, and that you wish them well in general.

I still have no idea how people equate this with intolerance. I'm not intolerant of people celebrating Christmas, however if you live somewhere beyond really small town USA it's just good manners to acknowledge that others may not.
But it isn't any kind of 'holiday season' for anyone except Christians. There are millions of people who are Jewish, Hindu, Islamic and everything else who DO celebrate Christmas, just not in the religious way.

The intolerance comes from those narrow minded people who, if they don't believe in or celebrate, then no one should in public.

The intolerance comes from those narrow minded peopole who think that if THEY don't believe in, or celebrate, then everyone who does should keep it behind closed doors and to themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 02:18 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by standupandbecounted View Post
But it isn't any kind of 'holiday season' for anyone except Christians. There are millions of people who are Jewish, Hindu, Islamic and everything else who DO celebrate Christmas, just not in the religious way.
Um............Hannukah and Kwanzaa are at the same time as Christmas.

Case in point.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:44 PM

526 posts, read 1,003,281 times
I'm Jewish and it took me until adulthood to realize that people saying Happy Holidays meant Hanuakah and Kwanzaa too. I was used to being the minority and never expected people to know what Hanuakah was let alone acknowledge it. I always thought most people meant the holiday season - Thanksgiving to New Year's Day. When I say Happy Holidays I'm usually referring to whichever of the three is closest. I only really say Merry Christmas on Christmas or Christmas Eve.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:22 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadDad View Post
Imagine if your your tax dollar went to pay for art which covered your Savior in urine or his mother in dung. I'm sure you wouldn't be thrilled. On a relative scale hearing "Merry Crhistmas" really pales in comparison, doesn't it? Suck it up and de with it. Anyone ever notice that in general the stupid unwashed inbred Christians deal with these thing a whole lot better educated and tolerant non-believers?
Huh??? I couldn't care less if someone says "Merry Christmas" in public. That's their choice. With that being said, I would rather say "Happy Holidays" if I know someone around me doesn't celebrate Christmas. My beliefs tell me to put others feelings before mine, so I'll go with that..

Old 04-16-2011, 07:31 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:

The intolerance comes from those narrow minded people who, if they don't believe in or celebrate, then no one should in public.

The intolerance comes from those narrow minded peopole who think that if THEY don't believe in, or celebrate, then everyone who does should keep it behind closed doors and to themselves.
But there is, and that's the point. There are several other significant holidays for different religions around the same time. That's why you say Happy Holidays - to acknowledge that people may have a different occasion to celebrate than you do.

Having an non specific winter celebration in school or other public places includes everyone in the community, not just those who celebrate Christmas.

I'm sure there are some people that would rather nobody celebrate anything and that everybody do it behind closed doors. I would also imagine that there are some Christians who are appalled by the dilution of the Christmas essence and would rather keep the celebration in Church and at home.

But I don't think the broadening of the definition of Holiday Season is meant for them, the way I've always interpreted it is that it's meant to be inclusive of all, not dismissive of one.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:41 PM

378 posts, read 576,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
But there is, and that's the point. There are several other significant holidays for different religions around the same time. That's why you say Happy Holidays - to acknowledge that people may have a different occasion to celebrate than you do.

Having an non specific winter celebration in school or other public places includes everyone in the community, not just those who celebrate Christmas.

I'm sure there are some people that would rather nobody celebrate anything and that everybody do it behind closed doors. I would also imagine that there are some Christians who are appalled by the dilution of the Christmas essence and would rather keep the celebration in Church and at home.

But I don't think the broadening of the definition of Holiday Season is meant for them, the way I've always interpreted it is that it's meant to be inclusive of all, not dismissive of one.
You just gave me a great idea for a thread topic and debate! Thanks!

Old 04-16-2011, 04:18 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Easter Eggs and Bunny have NOTHING to do with religion. Nothing, Just like Santa has nothing to do with religion. These have all become shopping holidays not religious ones and there is no reason to change the title of something when it is not crossing a secular line.

Public schools here have never called it Easter/Christmas Vacation, it has always been Spring Break or Winter break going as far back as from early 60's even.

The egg thing is ridiculous. My kids came home with darling bunny and eggs artwork and even chickies. They had an egg hunt (no candy) and everything and this is public school in the SF Bay Area, it doesn't get more liberal than here.

Quote:
Easter Eggs? Call Them 'Spring Spheres,' Seattle Teacher Reportedly Instructs Teen Volunteer - ParentDish

Christmas vacation has become winter break, now Easter eggs have become spring spheres? What's a parent to do?

How do we, as parents and human beings allow this political correctness to invade every aspect of our lives?

How do we teach our children one thing at home, only to find out they are taught the opposite at school?

Therein lies the breakdown between home and school. Kids will believe what their parents tell them, and if what they learn at school is opposite, or way off mark, they take it as lying and confusing.

Will YOUR kids be coloring Easter eggs, or spring spheres this year?

Old 04-16-2011, 07:24 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I second that.
I third it.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:28 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadDad View Post
Pat Robertson and his ilk are idiots. But that doesn't change the PCmania that exists.

I lice in a mid-sized Midwestern town. Our town's Christmas light display is now the "Celebration of Winter". Care to explain how that makes everyone more inclusive or tolerant? We have differences, being forced to hide those differences strips us of our individualism (note: I'm not talking about hate groups).
You don't have to hide your differences. You just aren't supposed to parade them, at taxpayer expense, in the City Hall.
What you do on your own property, and when-- nothing, a few lights, or a creche complete with livestock-- is between you and the Zoning Commission.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:29 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Um............Hannukah and Kwanzaa are at the same time as Christmas.

Case in point.
Not necessarily. Chanukah can come as early as Thanksgiving Break.

2011: December 20-28

2012: December 8-16

2013: November 27-December 5

2014: December 16-24

2015: December 6-14

Yule, otoh, is always the same time, and quite near Christmas. Same thing for those who celebrate Solstice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting