Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 11:49 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,779,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I call BS. The whole concept of Christ as the Son of God is anathema to Islam-- it's considered making him partners with God, which is called شرك, or shirk. It is, in fact, the One Unforgivable Crime-- so if your friendly local imam is celebrating Christmas, he's not so much a spiritual leader as a heretic.
Yes, the concept of Christ as son of god is anathema to muslims, but...

Muslims celebrate the Christian meaning of Christmas

Quote:
The personality of Jesus plays a central role in Islam. Muslims believe that God delivered the Gospel — Injeel to Jesus, just as he did Ta'wrat with Moses and the Old Testament (Zabur) to David and the Koran to Prophet Muhammad. It is critical for Muslims and non-Muslims to understand that a person is not considered a Muslim unless he or she believes in Jesus, and Islam is the only religion that testifies to Christianity.

Islam also assigns a very high degree of respect to the mother of Jesus, Mary (Mariam). There is an exclusive chapter in the Koran on the mother of Jesus by the name of ''Sura-e-mariam.'' The life of Jesus Christ is a momentous event for Christians and non-Christians alike. Jesus Christ's birthday is a signpost, and of all the great people born through the ages, imagine that Jesus is so important that his life divides time between B.C. and A.D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 01:25 PM

526 posts, read 998,714 times
I'm Jewish and grew up celebrating Christmas the Jewish way - By going to the movies and eating Chinese food!

Old 04-21-2011, 01:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,017,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulob View Post
I'm Jewish and grew up celebrating Christmas the Jewish way - By going to the movies and eating Chinese food!
My Buddhist friends all hit Vegas.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:35 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,172,505 times

Last edited by Aconite; 04-21-2011 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: The heck with it. If I want a religious discussion, I'll go to that board.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:57 PM

13,294 posts, read 9,824,698 times
OK. I'm trying to figure all this out. From what I gathered, the OP is upset that Christmas and Easter is not celebrated at school, and that generic themed parties are in place instead. Although, she doesn't mind if you strip the occasions of all of their religious significance so that everybody can celebrate them in a secular manner, as long as we keep calling them Easter and Christmas - and that it's ok to wish everybody Happy Easter and Merry Christmas because regardless of their faith, everybody celebrates the non religious aspects of those holidays anyway.

Is that the general gist of it?

Old 04-21-2011, 04:30 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,512,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
OK. I'm trying to figure all this out. From what I gathered, the OP is upset that Christmas and Easter is not celebrated at school, and that generic themed parties are in place instead. Although, she doesn't mind if you strip the occasions of all of their religious significance so that everybody can celebrate them in a secular manner, as long as we keep calling them Easter and Christmas - and that it's ok to wish everybody Happy Easter and Merry Christmas because regardless of their faith, everybody celebrates the non religious aspects of those holidays anyway.

Is that the general gist of it?
Yup, because Easter Eggs and Christmas trees are the REASONS for the SEASONS.

And as far as the OP goes, I have no earthly idea what the following sentence means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by standupandbecounted View Post
Therein lies the breakdown between home and school. Kids will believe what their parents tell them, and if what they learn at school is opposite, or way off mark, they take it as lying and confusing.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,329,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by standupandbecounted
Therein lies the breakdown between home and school. Kids will believe what their parents tell them, and if what they learn at school is opposite, or way off mark, they take it as lying and confusing.
I disagree. My parents always told my sisters and me that Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny were something Christian kids believed in as a part of their religion but was really made up just for fun. We didn't think they were lying nor did we think our teachers were lying. It was simply something they believed in and we didn't.

It all depends upon how the story is explained.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:27 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,413,686 times
The whole PC education thing is stupid.

How many parents really want their kids to go to some sanitized PC school where their kids are taught only in ways that the current trends find to be "fair" or "tolerant" or whatever. I want my kids taught, not indoctinrated. It is long past time to do away with the government controlled school system and having the government dictate what beliefs and social agenda our children are taught (and then having it change ever four years). What good does it do to have parents telling their kids "Do not listen to your teacher. They do not know what they are talking about. Your teacher is an idiot"

We need to go with an all charter school system. Then the ten parents who want their kids taught only the current government PC beliefs and social agenda can send their kids to that school. Other parents can choose a school that they find acceptable. Some people balk at this because they know that they will lose the opportunity to brainwash other people's children to the "correct" way of thinking as determined by those people. Frankly I am tired of having to tell my kids that some of what they are taught is rubbish. I shold be able to pull my kids out of a school that teaches them rubbish and put them in a school that teaches what they need to know. However to do that. to have any say in what they are taught or by whom, I must pay for private school.

Time for a change.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:37 PM

6,066 posts, read 14,998,099 times
If you really are upset about what sort of influence school has on your child - consider homeschooling. If you send them to school - you just have to grin and bear it.

In our family, we have a general understanding (kids included of course) that whatever goes on at school is "school dogma", and whatever goes on at home is our own personal family spiritual path. Two different roads, but we have to navigate them both as long as our kids attend school outside of the home.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:32 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,329,128 times
I never considered what I learned in school as the end-all be-all. My parents taught me many things and one of them was to ask questions about what I was being taught no matter what it was or who taught it if I didn't understand something or was confused. From time to time they would ask what I learned and did I have any questions about it.

Education should not end when the school bell rings at 3 o'clock.

As I mentioned before, I think it's fine for kids to learn about religions other than their own but in an educational, not religious sense. And that includes Atheism and Agnosticism. Kids won't be "converted" by this when they have a strong sense of who they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting