Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:11 AM

157 posts, read 140,615 times

Advertisements

Easter Eggs? Call Them 'Spring Spheres,' Seattle Teacher Reportedly Instructs Teen Volunteer - ParentDish

Christmas vacation has become winter break, now Easter eggs have become spring spheres? What's a parent to do?

How do we, as parents and human beings allow this political correctness to invade every aspect of our lives?

How do we teach our children one thing at home, only to find out they are taught the opposite at school?

Therein lies the breakdown between home and school. Kids will believe what their parents tell them, and if what they learn at school is opposite, or way off mark, they take it as lying and confusing.

Will YOUR kids be coloring Easter eggs, or spring spheres this year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 07:14 AM

473 posts, read 714,472 times
the only way to address this to everyones satisfaction is to not celebrate any holidays at school.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:21 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Easter and Christmas are real times of the year even if you don't believe in their religious meanings. I know many Jewish families who celebrate Christmas and Easter in secular fun ways with their children. I think it is ridiculous the extent to which people are trying to be politically correct.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:31 AM

13,418 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by standupandbecounted View Post
Easter Eggs? Call Them 'Spring Spheres,' Seattle Teacher Reportedly Instructs Teen Volunteer - ParentDish

Christmas vacation has become winter break, now Easter eggs have become spring spheres? What's a parent to do?

How do we, as parents and human beings allow this political correctness to invade every aspect of our lives?

How do we teach our children one thing at home, only to find out they are taught the opposite at school?

Therein lies the breakdown between home and school. Kids will believe what their parents tell them, and if what they learn at school is opposite, or way off mark, they take it as lying and confusing.

Will YOUR kids be coloring Easter eggs, or spring spheres this year?
While the whole "spring spheres" thing is a little ridiculous, not to mention incorrect geometry-wise, I think the comments in bold are exactly why we need to keep religious beliefs out of public school.

It's up to parents to teach their children about faith, and seeing as there are all types of faiths - or not - celebrated by different families that attend the same public school, there is no one size fits all philosophy that the schools could adopt that would satisfy everyone.

Yes the Easter egg thing is silly, as it doesn't really pertain to the religious aspect of the holiday, but as a rule I think public schools should opt out of religious celebrations.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:39 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
but as a rule I think public schools should opt out of religious celebrations.
I second that.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:40 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Easter and Christmas are real times of the year even if you don't believe in their religious meanings. I know many Jewish families who celebrate Christmas and Easter in secular fun ways with their children. I think it is ridiculous the extent to which people are trying to be politically correct.
But so are Passover and Hanukkah. I also know plenty of Jewish families who do these holidays - they don't do anything with Easter or Christmas.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:43 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Why in the world are they doing anything Easter Egg-related at school, anyway? Calling them "spring spheres" is absolutely ridiculous, but they don't belong at school in the first place. Parents can call them whatever they want at home. We'll be decorating Easter eggs, but at HOME. It's certainly not appropriate at a public school.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
But so are Passover and Hanukkah. I also know plenty of Jewish families who do these holidays - they don't do anything with Easter or Christmas.
You are absolutely right. However I live in the South where these Jewish Holidays are not as widely known as other parts of the country. My Jewish friends who celebrate "christian" holidays do so for their children I believe.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Why in the world are they doing anything Easter Egg-related at school, anyway? Calling them "spring spheres" is absolutely ridiculous, but they don't belong at school in the first place. Parents can call them whatever they want at home. We'll be decorating Easter eggs, but at HOME. It's certainly not appropriate at a public school.

Reluctantly I agree but I still have a hard time with Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:50 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
I just glanced at the article....it seems that the school was NOT celebrating Easter or dying eggs and calling them Spring Spheres....A teen was doing volunteer work at an elementary school. She wanted to bring in treat filled eggs so she checked with the teacher, who checked with the administration. Who said yes but....you can't call them Easter Eggs, you can call them Spring Spheres (the calling them spheres does bother me somewhat)...I'm guessing they were trying to find a way not to burst the teen's enthusiasm and still fall within the guidelines.

I'd feel differently if it was the teachers idea or some school sanctioned activity but since the school was apparently simply trying to find a way to allow the teen volunteer to do her thing...I guess I don't think it's a huge deal...If I were the kind to be really concerned about stuff, I'd probably be more concerned at giving them candy at school...

Last edited by maciesmom; 04-12-2011 at 08:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting