Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 08:34 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times

Advertisements

In Europe they used to swaddle newborn boys in pink and girls in blue....it's just a color ..THAT'S ALL!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 12:19 PM

526 posts, read 1,003,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Thanks for doing that. I actually asked people if they wouldn't mind not buying all pink things for my daughter when she was a newborn. I don't mind pink per se, but I don't see why little girls have to have everything in that color.

I know a lot of people are going to disagree, but to me it feels like we're sticking them in some kind of box as soon as they come into the world. I'm not sure why we have to do that. Anyway, it makes me a bit uncomfortable.

As far as the pink toenails go, I know enough men who are not gay and wear toenail and or fingernail polish that it isn't really an issue for me.

Parents cannot control the gayness level of their child no matter what they do, including demanding they wear a tiara around the house. If your kid isn't gay, it ain't gonna happen.

There have been kids whose gender is uncertain when they're born, and the parents choose to raise them either one or the other. The kid's true wiring always seems to win out in the end, no matter what lengths the parent goes to to pick a gender. So I doubt that a little pink nail polish is going to have much influence over biology.

Gayness level?!! Is there some sort of meter that measures that?

Old 04-13-2011, 12:28 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
yeah actually there is a gay meter which some people seem to have. My gay friends talk about it all the time when they are trying to determine if somebody is gay. Mine is very attuned too even tho I am straight. It's not dress or mannerisms. It's just something some people can seem to zero in on--sometimes before the gay person themselves will admit it.

It's called Gaydar.

Last edited by no kudzu; 04-13-2011 at 12:51 PM..

Old 04-13-2011, 12:57 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
In Europe they used to swaddle newborn boys in pink and girls in blue....it's just a color ..THAT'S ALL!!!
They are just colors, however research has been done about colors and how they influence us. One thing that always comes out, girls are drawn to pink and boys to blue, before any social influences can sway our color preference. It's something that we are born with.

With infants, gender identification is difficult, it helps to dress boys in blue and girls in pink.

Who cares if a wacky mom wants to paint her sons nails pink. Although her son probably will, once his classmates find out.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
One thing that always comes out, girls are drawn to pink and boys to blue, before any social influences can sway our color preference. It's something that we are born with.
Well, I've flunked that since I was old enough to know the difference.

Source?

Old 04-13-2011, 01:19 PM

526 posts, read 1,003,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
yeah actually there is a gay meter which some people seem to have. My gay friends talk about it all the time when they are trying to determine if somebody is gay. Mine is very attuned too even tho I am straight. It's not dress or mannerisms. It's just something some people can seem to zero in on--sometimes before the gay person themselves will admit it.

It's called Gaydar.

Oh believe me I know gaydar -I worked in musical theatre for 7 years!

Old 04-13-2011, 01:36 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Well, I've flunked that since I was old enough to know the difference.

Source?
Google it.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:41 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,054 times

Old 04-13-2011, 02:06 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
Google it.
If you're referring to the August, 2007 study (and I suspect you are) it's been debunked by Badscience.net.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:16 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Oh noes, and when the first drop of "Sun-Kissed Rose" was brushed on his toe-nail, he was from that moment on gay! Stupid gits!

Anywho, on a serious note, has anyone seen the French movie "Ma Vie En Rose"? It's one of my all-time favorite movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting