Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2011, 03:04 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,678,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plfriend View Post
  1. 75% of children/adolescents in chemical dependency hospitals are from single-parent families.
    (Center for Disease Control, Atlanta, GA)
  2. More than one half of all youths incarcerated for criminal acts lived in one-parent families when they were children. (Children's Defense Fund)
  3. 63% of suicides are individuals from single parent families (FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin - Investigative Aid)
  4. 75% of teenage pregnancies are adolescents from single parent homes
    (Children in need: Investment Strategies...Committee for Economic Development)
While a person can live a happy, normal life coming from a single parent home, why would anyone Risk the above for their own personal gradification of having a child?
Cant say for sure but maybe all of those kids were from the single parent family where the pregnancy was unplanned and unwanted in the first place. In this situation the child is wanted and planned there fore will get love and attention it needs to be a functioning member in society. Im not a big fan of statitics because alot more plays into each of those situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 03:18 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,685,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
well off the top of my head I remember someone saying "think about the child" like they are doing something cruel to the child by not bringing it into a 2 parent home.
I think anyone considering going down this road SHOULD think about the child, don't you? Or should a person NOT think about the child?

Like I said before, your opinion on the topic is completely valid. Where I think some people (myself included) perceive defensiveness is that while you are sharing your opinion, you are simultaneously putting other people's opinions down, implying that they are wrong, and saying they should mind their own business.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:19 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Single parenting is alot of work. And you never get down time, especially if you don't have a support system, or supportive family to help you, or enough money to have a break once in awhile. I don't think it would work for me. I will be honest, I think kids need a Dad, even if it is a divorced Dad. When one of my sons was just too disrespectful to me, he went to live with his Dad, and really straightened up. Some kids need that. And some sons just don't respect Mom enough to listen.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmom View Post
I think anyone considering going down this road SHOULD think about the child, don't you? Or should a person NOT think about the child?

Like I said before, your opinion on the topic is completely valid. Where I think some people (myself included) perceive defensiveness is that while you are sharing your opinion, you are simultaneously putting other people's opinions down, implying that they are wrong, and saying they should mind their own business.

no I never said they should mind there own business that was someone else

why should they mind there own business if your putting it on the interent to be judged?

Old 04-14-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmom View Post

and yes the child should most def be consdiered thats the main point of it all and I dont think people who are going to put the time and money into IVF didnt first think of the child.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:39 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Im not a big fan of statitics because alot more plays into each of those situations.
Yeah, those pesky statistics interfere with irrational thought sometimes.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
no I never said they should mind there own business that was someone else

why should they mind there own business if your putting it on the interent to be judged?
Oops! My bad . Paying attention to user names is a good thing indeed . Sorry....

Old 04-14-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
and yes the child should most def be consdiered thats the main point of it all and I dont think people who are going to put the time and money into IVF didnt first think of the child.
This is true. The entire process of artificial insemination, IVF, etc is incredibly expensive and invasive. Everyone I've known who went through it 1) would make a great parent, and 2) wants a child more than anything in the world and has thought a lot about the future child.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:46 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Certainly, it can be done and it IS being done by many women. My son just got a scholar-athlete award at school; and I think I've done pretty well dealing with it all.

BUT, I have worked like a DOG to keep all the balls in the air. I've worked 80 hours a week to get promoted so my son could have a nice home. I've anguished over who would take care of him back when I had to travel for my job so I could make more MONEY. (Kids are expensive)

Every bill, every decision, every shoveled walkway; all the cooking; the laundry; taking care of the vehicle; up all night with a sick baby; the house; volunteering at the school; showing up for swim meets; arranging rides to sports practices; arranging sleepovers; mowing the lawn; walking the dogs; feeding the dogs; deciding on a pre-school; travel to and from school; and every childhood crisis was MINE to deal with. Mine and mine alone. You think that's not hard?

Do what you must; certainly I would support a friend of mine who made such a decision. But I would want her to know exactly what it is like to be the ONLY source of income and the ONLY parent.

Practice up on your survival skills. You, and your child, will certainly need them.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Yeah, those pesky statistics interfere with irrational thought sometimes.
no its just you dont know all the facts, were those kids who were raised in single parent homes abused? were they low income? were they only children? were they bullied? was the parent addicted to drugs? alot plays into fact I doubt the reason they have issues are soley based on the fact that they had a single parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting