Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 05:12 PM

81 posts, read 170,594 times

Advertisements

Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong forum. I thought this was the most appropriate place to put it, but feel free to move it if it's not.

I just saw this video of a 7yo girl who had her ears pinned back to avoid being bullied.

Child Gets Plastic Surgery to Avoid Bullies (http://news.yahoo.com/video/health-15749655/child-gets-plastic-surgery-to-avoid-bullies-24902719 - broken link)

I understand where the mother is coming from, trying to protect her daughter, but isn't 7 a little TOO young for any kind of 'elective' surgery. Honestly, if her ears hadn't been pointed out, I would not even have noticed them. She is a really cute girl and eventually, her face/head will grow into her ears. Additionally, lots of girls get away with ears that stick out a bit because they are able to cover it with their hair.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 05:14 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
My son had surgery at 10 months old to correct a minor muscle disorder. At the plastic surgeon's office, I saw many children there who were obviously there to get their ears "pinned back", probably younger than 7.

And honestly, after what my son has been through this week? (And he is as cute as can be)...no, I do not blame that mother one bit.

It is sad to say that is the society we live in.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:19 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Otoplasty is routinely performed between the ages of 4 and 14, and in most cases after the child has asked for it. It cannot be performed earlier than 4 as the cartilage is not yet fully developed. This is nothing new, has been performed on kids for decades. It is actually preferable to perform this surgery in childhood, the cartilage is more pliable, easier to mold, and less painful.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:49 PM

81 posts, read 170,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Otoplasty is routinely performed between the ages of 4 and 14, and in most cases after the child has asked for it. It cannot be performed earlier than 4 as the cartilage is not yet fully developed. This is nothing new, has been performed on kids for decades. It is actually preferable to perform this surgery in childhood, the cartilage is more pliable, easier to mold, and less painful.
Understood, but it's still not a 'necessary' surgery. It's purely cosmetic. Believe me, I understand the reasons. I just think it's sad that our society has come to this. A 7yo girl thinks she needs to fix something about the way she looks. She can hear just fine, so it's purely a cosmetic fix. She was a cute girl before the surgery. I know there are many surgeries that are necessary, I just don't see that this is one of them.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
I knew a 9-year old who had this done. In 1963, so this isn't new. (And in 1963 it was difficult to do. His head was encased in a helmet-like bandage for months.) He asked to have it done. His parent were happy they could have it done. It wasn't anybody else's business. Same case with this little girl. I won't watch the video. I think she needs her privacy.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:46 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,645,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larachris View Post
Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong forum. I thought this was the most appropriate place to put it, but feel free to move it if it's not.

I just saw this video of a 7yo girl who had her ears pinned back to avoid being bullied.

Child Gets Plastic Surgery to Avoid Bullies (http://news.yahoo.com/video/health-15749655/child-gets-plastic-surgery-to-avoid-bullies-24902719 - broken link)

I understand where the mother is coming from, trying to protect her daughter, but isn't 7 a little TOO young for any kind of 'elective' surgery. Honestly, if her ears hadn't been pointed out, I would not even have noticed them. She is a really cute girl and eventually, her face/head will grow into her ears. Additionally, lots of girls get away with ears that stick out a bit because they are able to cover it with their hair.

Thoughts?
My thoughts: You claim to understand where her mother is coming from, but no, you don't - it's not too young for simple 'elective' surgery, particularly surgery that seeks to give a dear child a shot at a happy life. You're making negative associations with plastic surgery, and that's overly simplistic. She just had her ears pinned, not a boob job.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:46 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
This is supposed to be a less painful surgery when you are a child vs when you are an adult because, as someone mentioned before, your ears are more pliable.

I think this was perfectly fine. I think if you are bothered by something why not fix it. I think this and nose jobs are two of the most "logical" surgeries. I know plenty of people who had nose jobs because they didn't like their noses.

I had my gums lasered because I hated the shape. Purely cosmetic, but hey I like my gums a lot better now.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:49 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,686,327 times
I don't think this is a big deal. If the girl wanted it done - great, have it done. If she was okay with her ears, then leave it alone.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:51 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
So I watched the video. That poor girl actually had something wrong with her ear that caused it grow out and not back.

I hate when people say "well Kate Hudson has big ears" and compare anything to celebrities. Well Kate Hudson may have big ears but she is also Kate Hudson.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:24 PM

623 posts, read 1,602,400 times
She is not too young at all to have this sort of thing done. If it corrects a problem she won't have to deal with later in life then whats the big deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting