Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 07:27 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsong View Post
I think you should have called the police thier job is to protect and serve, they could have stayed with the child until the mom came out.
I posted this somewhere else here and it's still true today if not more so now, there are 50,000 children a year stolen or missing each and every year, most end up in the sex slave trade around the world, don't believe me, look it up, this is fact.
We're not just talking the weather here, there are some really sick people ( and I use that term losely ) out there.
This is so true and if you dont believe it watch the movie "Taken" with Liam Neesom . That movie will scare the pants off of you as a parent and how stupid some parents can be in regards to the protection of their children .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 07:57 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
In a big parking lot like described, I would've just called the police, not even attempted to talk to the boy.

If it was a car at a gas station where you have to pay first inside, I would've just hung around and observed a few minutes to make sure no one accosted the child while mom was inside paying for her gas.

If it was a store-front parking space, where mom was just inside to grab a cup of coffee and had easy visual access to the car right outside, I would've just been observant, but said nothing UNLESS something was going on with the kid or the car outside, AND mom happened to not be looking at that particular moment (like, she was counting the money to pay for the coffee or whatever).

Anywhere that mom is not physically able to see her car and the kid inside it though - all bets are off. I'd call the police. Kids should never be left alone in big huge parking lots. Especially young ones who are 7, 8, 9, even 10. Kids open doors to get that fresh air, maybe stand outside the car to stretch their legs. See someone with their doggie 2 aisles over and go to pet the doggie, and 20 seconds later, BOOM. Dead and/or missing child.

You just don't leave a young child out of sight, alone.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:20 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Bless you for doing SOMETHING ~ though in hindsignt we can second-guess what else could have been done.

The Mother sounds like a complete IDIOT and I'll bet it will be a while before she thinks about doing something like that again; worried that next time, the police might become involved.

Ye gads, I don't leave my DOGS in the car in hot weather; let alone my child.

You did a good thing!

Old 04-16-2011, 08:38 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
You're right Ringo1, the woman has to be crazy to leave her child alone in this day and age.Kids like that are easy pickins for the wrong person.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:54 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times
Some interesting information on the ACTUAL number of children that go missing every year, vs what the media hypes and what movies Liam Neeson may have made. ACTUAL abductions average around 115 PER YEAR, not 50,000.

Link to the actual article:
STATS: Today show revises number of missing kids downwards

"Today claimed that since 1982, there has been a 44% increase in the number of “missing children.” But according to the Justice Department, which tracks such data and is widely recognized as the best source for it, there has been no increase at all in these numbers, and in fact, there are signs of a decline between 1988 and 1999, the last year for which numbers are currently available.

As we noted here when Today covered the story in 2004, the show claimed that 58,000 American children go missing each year. That is the Justice Department statistic for what it calls “nonfamily abductions.”

But in such cases, as the media rarely notes, 90 percent of “abductees” return home within 24 hours. The vast majority are teenagers running away with friends or romantic partners and over 99 percent are returned alive and uninjured. (Although many teen girls are involved with sexual activity during the time when they are “missing,” the statistics do not distinguish between voluntary and coerced sex because if the girl is under-age and the male is not, she is not considered capable of consent. The majority of the “missing children” covered by this statistic (65%) are female and 59% are aged 15-17.)

This time, Today was more conservative in its estimate, claiming that only 5,000 children go missing each year. While this is an improvement over 58,000, the implication is still that there are 5,000 stereotypical kidnappings, in which a stranger or acquaintance abducts a child to hold for ransom or abuse and kill him or her. According to the Justice Department, there are only about 115 such incidents each year.

Parents have enough to worry about without such “stranger danger” hype."

Old 04-16-2011, 06:21 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Some interesting information on the ACTUAL number of children that go missing every year, vs what the media hypes and what movies Liam Neeson may have made. ACTUAL abductions average around 115 PER YEAR, not 50,000.

Link to the actual article:
STATS: Today show revises number of missing kids downwards

"Today claimed that since 1982, there has been a 44% increase in the number of “missing children.” But according to the Justice Department, which tracks such data and is widely recognized as the best source for it, there has been no increase at all in these numbers, and in fact, there are signs of a decline between 1988 and 1999, the last year for which numbers are currently available.

As we noted here when Today covered the story in 2004, the show claimed that 58,000 American children go missing each year. That is the Justice Department statistic for what it calls “nonfamily abductions.”

But in such cases, as the media rarely notes, 90 percent of “abductees” return home within 24 hours. The vast majority are teenagers running away with friends or romantic partners and over 99 percent are returned alive and uninjured. (Although many teen girls are involved with sexual activity during the time when they are “missing,” the statistics do not distinguish between voluntary and coerced sex because if the girl is under-age and the male is not, she is not considered capable of consent. The majority of the “missing children” covered by this statistic (65%) are female and 59% are age

This time, Today was more conservative in its estimate, claiming that only 5,000 children go missing each year. While this is an improvement over 58,000, the implication is still that there are 5,000 stereotypical kidnappings, in which a stranger or acquaintance abducts a child to hold for ransom or abuse and kill him or her. According to the Justice Department, there are only about 115 such incidents each year.

Parents have enough to worry about without such “stranger danger” hype."
im glad you think it is hype as for me and my grandkids yep Im paranoid about it .

Old 04-16-2011, 09:26 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,994,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
In a big parking lot like described, I would've just called the police, not even attempted to talk to the boy.

If it was a car at a gas station where you have to pay first inside, I would've just hung around and observed a few minutes to make sure no one accosted the child while mom was inside paying for her gas.

If it was a store-front parking space, where mom was just inside to grab a cup of coffee and had easy visual access to the car right outside, I would've just been observant, but said nothing UNLESS something was going on with the kid or the car outside, AND mom happened to not be looking at that particular moment (like, she was counting the money to pay for the coffee or whatever).

Anywhere that mom is not physically able to see her car and the kid inside it though - all bets are off. I'd call the police. Kids should never be left alone in big huge parking lots. Especially young ones who are 7, 8, 9, even 10. Kids open doors to get that fresh air, maybe stand outside the car to stretch their legs. See someone with their doggie 2 aisles over and go to pet the doggie, and 20 seconds later, BOOM. Dead and/or missing child.

You just don't leave a young child out of sight, alone.
I second this! Perfectly said!

OP, if the boy was willing to talk to you, a "stranger", just imagine how easy it would have been for a kidnapper or pedophile to come up to the car and get the boy's attention.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:33 PM

75 posts, read 108,845 times
I'm not a parent but heck my mom didn't even leave me alone in the car when I was 12. Lol jk, maybe when I was 11 she started to. YOU DID THE RIGHT THING, I would've slapped that crazy mama and then called 911.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
im glad you think it is hype as for me and my grandkids yep Im paranoid about it .
You just admitted it was all hype by saying that your fear is irrational.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:52 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
That's a very scary story, some parents just shouldn't be parents. Clearly the mother was lying about the boy's age, she knew 7/8 was too young to be left alone. I never left my kids alone at that age. And in a hot car? Child neglect/endangerment. I would have called the police first and waited until they arrived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting