Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 03:15 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I've been following this fellow's career the last few months. (He's on Don Lemon's shows on CNN on the weekends.) He's a bit of a pofessional curmudgeon. I have an idea we will be discussing his articles a lot.
He has a bit too much of an intellectual superiority complex for me. He has written some excellent pieces on the LGBT community, but always manages to throw in one or two 's that make it difficult to embrace his writing completely.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:18 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
No I don't agree they dress like tramps. What's a tramp? If a grown arse woman chooses to have sex that's none of my business. There are women who just like the clothes, I don't have any idea what they do in the bedroom.

This pigeon-holing of women based on their apparel irritates me no end.

This is exactly what I was talking about. No you can't control what other people think. But the fact that you automatically think someone is akin to a prostitute and that you know their character because of what they wear is extremely shallow.
Did anyone who has commented on this article actually read it??

Seriously?

I read it when it first came out on CNN.com and have now re read it several times to see if "I" was missing something...but I don't think so...

Granderson comments on the sexualization of tots, children, tweens, what have you....he doesn't make any reference to what ADULTS should or shouldn't wear...

I don't see how any rational parent can disagree with his message....sexualizing young children with push up bras and branded bottoms is WRONG and makes them look like TRAMPS(sorry if that term offends but tramps DO EXIST)....that is on the PARENT not the child...

There is NO good reason for selling pushup bra's to young children...NONE.

I speak as the father of three young daughters.

My wife and I aren't prudes but we don't let our daughters dress like hookers (sorry if that offends you, they also exist) but some of their classmates most certainly do...

We don't buy short shorts or sweats with messages, words, sayings of any sort on the bottom....what parent actually thinks it is a good idea to draw attention to their young daughters backsides??

Seriously....who thinks that is a good idea?

Same with push up bras....

Please, someone point out even ONE statement in Granderson's piece that criticizes ADULT women for how THEY dress...

This article is about ONE topic..the selling of sex when it comes to young children and where that fault lies....with the companies that sell it and the parents that buy it.

Period...

Old 04-20-2011, 03:20 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I've been following this fellow's career the last few months. (He's on Don Lemon's shows on CNN on the weekends.) He's a bit of a pofessional curmudgeon. I have an idea we will be discussing his articles a lot.

A story on judging women and their clothes: After college I worked for a major studio. The secretary to the VP of my division looked like Loni Anderson in her WKRP days. Busty, (real busty) blonde, short skirts, piles of make-up. I assumed she was window dressing. Especially since it was in the film industry in L.A.

Wrong.

That woman was one of the smartest people on the lot. She had a brain like a computer. She knew everything and everybody and I realised I needed to make her a mentor ASAP because she could teach me exactly what I needed to know. Which was how things worked. Thankfully she did.

(Men used to go into that office and you could see them light up when they saw her thinking, "Bimbo blonde." She usually set them straight within minutes.)

I was young. I quit judging after that.
That's a great story, Dew, and right at the heart of what I'm getting at. You judge people at your peril.

Everybody gets judged, I realize that. But women particularly harshly, and women who dare express their sexual side even more so.

I'm guilty of judging someone's taste level, regarding outfits, as much as anybody. But I will never call someone a "tramp" or any other similar derogatory term. I'll be happy when those particular words are removed from our list of things we call women. I'm not naive enough to think it will happen in our lifetime, if ever, though.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:22 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
*sigh*
Yes, everyone understands that the article is about kids dressing in what many consider a sexually provocative manner. We all think it's nasty and inappropriate (though that's hard for me to believe, bc obviously MANY parents are allowing their kids to do this).
However, the article says, "Don't dress your girls like tramps." Implying that if you wear certain clothes, you are more likely to put out. THAT is what the other poster was saying.

Better article title (though less attention getting): Parents, please dress your children age appropriately

That wouldn't catch your eye very quickly, would it? So now we cast aspersions.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:24 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
That's a great story, Dew, and right at the heart of what I'm getting at. You judge people at your peril.

Everybody gets judged, I realize that. But women particularly harshly, and women who dare express their sexual side even more so.

I'm guilty of judging someone's taste level, regarding outfits, as much as anybody. But I will never call someone a "tramp" or any other similar derogatory term. I'll be happy when those particular words are removed from our list of things we call women. I'm not naive enough to think it will happen in our lifetime, if ever, though.
Exactly. What does a man-ho look like? But I bet most people could come up with a long list of items that they think would make a woman look like a "tramp".

Old 04-20-2011, 03:33 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Exactly. What does a man-ho look like? But I bet most people could come up with a long list of items that they think would make a woman look like a "tramp".
Somewhere between 5'4" and 7', skin varying from really dark to really pale, somewhere around the age of 15 to 99...

You can spot 'em anywhere.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
But women particularly harshly, and women who dare express their sexual side even more so.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!

Old 04-20-2011, 03:49 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
Little girls should not be trying to show off their bodies.....

I don't have a problem with push up bras, stilettos or whatever but I do have issues with parents who allow their children to dress inappropriately. Sometimes I am out and I will see little girls with booty shorts on and halter tops and they are teenagers...then I will look at their mother...well guess what she looks like..the same thing.
Well they're not doing it, it's the parents. Is it so wrong to showcase your 7 year old daughter's assets?

Old 04-20-2011, 03:54 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Well, this is funny. When I was dating my ex, I was 19, and wore short skirts, with heels, and pretty sexy stuff, like young girls wear when they want to "catch" a certain guy, and he had a Honda motorcycle. Now, 30 years later, our daughter wears basically the SAME outfit, and he FREAKS! She met a guy, with a motorcycle, and of course, he INSTANTLY forbids her to go anywhere with this guy!

I talked to him about what a double standard he has, and that our daughter does not dress trashy, she was wearing a black mini skirt, black tights, black heels, a white lace blouse, with a white lace tank, and white lace bra, with a black jacket. She looked very nice. Yes, she has boobs! And you could see cleavage.

Dads are freaks!

My daughter never dressed inappropriate. But she did dress the same as other girls her age.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:54 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Well they're not doing it, it's the parents. Is it so wrong to showcase your 7 year old daughter's assets?
Maybe you were attempting to be humorous??

You only succeeded in coming off as creepy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting