Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2011, 05:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 36,985,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Julia, I don't know how old you are but I am going to venture to say things are much different now than they were then when it came to young adults, pre-marital sex and spending the night at his house type of thing.
I can tell you what most parents thought 40 years ago. If you're adult enough to have sex with someone (and drink) you are adult enough to live on your own. No parent I knew would put up with the daughter sleeping with the boyfriend then using their house as a crash pad for everything else. No way, no how.

And no 20-something young woman I knew would have even TRIED it. Go have sex with your boyfriend then come home to sleep and use the shower and eat the dinner Mom made? And try and negotiate rules with the parent so she can get her own way? Yeah. Right.

Parents would have given that girl the classified section of the newspaper with the "Room for rent" ads circled in red.

Adult enough for sex and drinking with their friends = Adult enough to be out of the house and support themselves. ESPECIALLY the sex part.

I even know people who have those rules today. Yeowza. Parents in control of their own homes who don't think they should have to negotiate rules. Shocking.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 12-16-2011 at 05:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 05:45 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,536,124 times
Quote:
Julia, I don't know how old you are but I am going to venture to say things are much different now than they were then when it came to young adults, pre-marital sex and spending the night at his house type of thing.
I am really, really old: 38. I was married at your age, but that was back when we had to hunt wooly mammoths for food. People married younger back then because the mammoths sometimes stepped on you and nobody wanted to die a virgin.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:51 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,890,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I am really, really old: 38. I was married at your age, but that was back when we had to hunt wooly mammoths for food. People married younger back then because the mammoths sometimes stepped on you and nobody wanted to die a virgin.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:00 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,766,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
only 1 expectation. move out and grow up. child to adult program is managed by the US Army, 2nd to none.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:10 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,119,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I can tell you what most parents thought 40 years ago. If you're adult enough to have sex with someone (and drink) you are adult enough to live on your own. No parent I knew would put up with the daughter sleeping with the boyfriend then using their house as a crash pad for everything else. No way, no how.

And no 20-something young woman I knew would have even TRIED it. Go have sex with your boyfriend then come home to sleep and use the shower and eat the dinner Mom made? And try and negotiate rules with the parent so she can get her own way? Yeah. Right.

Parents would have given that girl the classified section of the newspaper with the "Room for rent" ads circled in red.

Adult enough for sex and drinking with their friends = Adult enough to be out of the house and support themselves. ESPECIALLY the sex part.
A MEN. You wanna play house? Go get a house.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:21 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,501,524 times
Quote:
Bwahaha!

Old 12-16-2011, 06:34 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,841,666 times
Quote:
I am officially nominating this for the post of the month.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:39 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,536,124 times
Thanks ladies.

Seriously, though, I don't foresee my daughter telling me she's sleeping over at her boyfriend's house. We've had quite a few sex talks, which I have related in other threads, and I think we have an open, communicative relationship. We will cross that bridge if we ever get to it.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:49 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,941,190 times
Quote:

OMFG I LAUGHED SO HARD.
And that's not old but still old enough things were different.
In my area that's not usually the case, most parents are informed that said child isn't going to be back that night and not much more is divulged.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:04 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,015,649 times
Quote:

Also religion takes into effect too but then again I don't know if you are or not.

The reason I am "allowed" to is because my mom told me she knows sex is going to happen, she won't be ignorant with her children and she would rather us be safe and come to her as needed than not be safe and get knocked up/get someone knocked up (my brother is sexually active or was as well). We also are not religious, so there is no religious compass my mom goes by when determining our rules.
She will tell me not at her house under her roof with my 17 year old brother still here but outside of the house is fine.

I wouldn't say I have it cushy here and I wouldn't say I didn't want to move on with my life, when in fact I really do.
Which is why I said earlier in the thread that when I have kids as long as they are doing what they need to do and going into a direction and doing something with their lives, I don't care what they do outside out of the house and at night, but they wouldn't be allowed to just sit around and do nothing, I also wouldn't "take away" privileges or set curfews for them for doing so, it would just be a simple out or get your crap together.
Not sure what sex has to do with Julia's post...

I can tell you that if I did what you did, quit school, I'd have to do more than work to live at home. They'd have charged me rent. Maybe our families have different ideas about what "doing something with your life" means. Working at wal mart wouldn't have cut it for my parents.

So, are you waiting for you mom to say "get out"?

Quote:
Yesterday my 8 yo asked when I was born. I said 1973, and he asked if there were cars back then, or if people just rode horses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting