Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2011, 10:33 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I know but still I feel like it goes against human nature to be like that.
I don't see how whole countries of children/teens can just be so complacent just being controlled their whole lives, you have to think are they truly happy?
I think your 3-C's are okay - but not for everyone.

For me and it's what my dad had -- it's the "My house, my rules". My dad explained that he had to be up early for work in the morning and once the doors to the outside were locked, he didn't want to hear them opening at all hours, he couldn't sleep very well wondering when he'd awake to a door opening up.

My kids don't have to move out by some certain age or date but they do have to understand we're not just roommates, it's my house. I paid for it. I can know everything that is in my house, I can make any rule for my own house that I please.

As far as the rules, I'm very lenient on some, not very lenient on others and always have been, however when they want to be the king of the castle, they have to get their own castle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 10:45 AM

7 posts, read 12,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I doubt that still living with mom and dad that you really can do anything you please but for most Americans, moving away isn't about rebellion as much as feeling like a full adult who has been able to fly from the nest. Even in nature, you don't find fully grown birds still laying around in the nest their parents made them.

It's not the desire to do whatever, stay out all night but that free and grown up feeling of paying your own rent, your own utility bills, often of course splitting that with your roommates. It's knowing you can make it, survive, experience the big world out there, conquer it.

Parents never stop seeing their children as their children, especially when the children have never cut the apron strings. When you live at home forever, you do not become the man or woman of the house, you are not with equals like in a roommate situation. You are still dependent on your parents to provide you shelter if not food and clothing.
Let's make a bet?
I can do All Except "party" at home, because we is not custom ...
All things that you can do with your parents in the house!

But you did not answer the other questions that i have set in the previous post!

Old 12-15-2011, 10:52 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolo1 View Post
But you did not answer the other questions that i have set in the previous post!
Which ones?

BTW: Your questions about guns and public health policy aren't parenting questions. Perhaps you would like to post those in other forums?

Old 12-15-2011, 10:56 AM

7 posts, read 12,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Which ones?

BTW: Your questions about guns and public health policy aren't parenting questions. Perhaps you would like to post those in other forums?
Where? You show me, please!

Right, i'm so sorry!

Old 12-15-2011, 01:34 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolo1 View Post
Where? You show me, please!

Right, i'm so sorry!
go up to the top of this page and click on "general forums" in the upper left corner.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:41 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
Quote:
I don't know if it really goes against human nature to be like that. Americans are a bit different actually than most cultures because we actually encourage our kids to be independent.

Also keep in mind that in other cultures, you wouldn't be picking your own boyfriends, your parents would find a nice boy for you to marry, they might select him when you are about 2 years old and all your life, you know that's the guy for you. You'd never need to meet guys on your own, there would be no dating, your parents would have that all taken care of for you.

I think it just comes down to how you're raised from very early on. In the USA for example, parents will ask even a young child how he or she wants his or her hair cut, allow the child to select his or her own clothes, the colors for his or her bedroom. That's not how it's done in most countries.
But how do you actually fall in love with that person?
What about that spark, the just knowing the person is the one for you?
When you love someone you, you know, you just just do and if your parents pick someone THAT young how will they know what that person will look like or be like when they are older? What if you never truly love that person?

Old 12-15-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
They were too much of a reflection of your life and situation. A more broadened approach to the ideas contained therein would have been appreciated by this particular reader.

And the format made it very difficult to read. Readership depends on readability. (Ooh. I now have Two R's!) Sorry, txt, not trying to put you down but it was very difficult to read and make sense of. Full paragraphs next time?
I'll just DM you.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I think your 3-C's are okay - but not for everyone.

For me and it's what my dad had -- it's the "My house, my rules". My dad explained that he had to be up early for work in the morning and once the doors to the outside were locked, he didn't want to hear them opening at all hours, he couldn't sleep very well wondering when he'd awake to a door opening up.

My kids don't have to move out by some certain age or date but they do have to understand we're not just roommates, it's my house. I paid for it. I can know everything that is in my house, I can make any rule for my own house that I please.

As far as the rules, I'm very lenient on some, not very lenient on others and always have been, however when they want to be the king of the castle, they have to get their own castle.

Did that mean you had to be in by the time he locked the doors?
Or did that mean you had to tell him that you weren't coming home that night and not to worry about you unlocking the door?

Old 12-15-2011, 01:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
I'll just DM you.
Better to post it here so I can respond and we can all comment.

If you start DMing me I'll have to charge you by the hour for my fabulous advice. And I ain't cheap.

(There also isn't enough hair dye in the world to cover up the damage, lol.)

Old 12-15-2011, 02:47 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Quote:
But how do you actually fall in love with that person?
What about that spark, the just knowing the person is the one for you?
When you love someone you, you know, you just just do and if your parents pick someone THAT young how will they know what that person will look like or be like when they are older? What if you never truly love that person?
In a lot of cultures, love isn't even considered when planning a marriage. It's purely economical or otherwise based on how it would benefit the two parties and their families (or one party and their family) involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting