Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 05:25 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Thanks, 121804. I tried to dm you but I'm not allowed.

Feel free to dm me with the link, if you feel so inclined.

Thanks again.
Sorry for the horrible copy/paste. I cannot directly send it to you b/c it is a site that requires a login (which I had forgotten about), etc.

Anyway, it is a visual/sound based system, so some of it is lost here in translation. The speech pathologist "shows" the sound & also verbally says it. For example, g, she say "gulp" & makes a gulping sound & also has two fingers under her chin so the gulp can be felt.

All I could really do it copy/paste some very basics.

It's a cool concept & wish I could explain it better!!

h
(Hand)
w
(Wind)
m
(Humming)
n
(Humming 2)
p
(Soft Popping)
b
(Loud Popping)
t
(Tapping)

d
(Music)
k
(Cough)
g
(Gulping)
f
(Fan)
v
(Vacuum)

y
(Yelling)
r
(Roaring)
l
(La La)
sh
(Quiet)
ch
(Train)
j
(Jingle)
s
(Snake)
z
(Bumblebee)
th
(Tire going flat)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 05:29 PM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Sorry for the horrible copy/paste. I cannot directly send it to you b/c it is a site that requires a login (which I had forgotten about), etc.

Anyway, it is a visual/sound based system, so some of it is lost here in translation. The speech pathologist "shows" the sound & also verbally says it. For example, g, she say "gulp" & makes a gulping sound & also has two fingers under her chin so the gulp can be felt.

All I could really do it copy/paste some very basics.

It's a cool concept & wish I could explain it better!!

h
(Hand)
w
(Wind)
m
(Humming)
n
(Humming 2)
p
(Soft Popping)
b
(Loud Popping)
t
(Tapping)

d
(Music)
k
(Cough)
g
(Gulping)
f
(Fan)
v
(Vacuum)

y
(Yelling)
r
(Roaring)
l
(La La)
sh
(Quiet)
ch
(Train)
j
(Jingle)
s
(Snake)
z
(Bumblebee)
th
(Tire going flat)
I think I get the idea. That's really great. I'm going to try that - it looks like fun, too.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:31 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,488,671 times
This thread reminded me of when my daughter was little. She could say the 'f' sound but not the 'th' sound. Whenever anyone asked her age, she'd say "I'm free".

During cuddle time one afternoon I decided to try and teach her the 'th' sound. She practised and practised - I'm tha-ree, I'm tha-ree. After a few minutes, the sound came out - I'm three, I'm three, I'm three!!! Delighted with her new skill, she skipped off to play in the backyard.

Ten minutes later, a very excited little girl comes rushing back inside. "Mummy, mummy... come and see, come and see! Come and see the throg in the garden!"

Old 04-28-2011, 07:16 PM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
This thread reminded me of when my daughter was little. She could say the 'f' sound but not the 'th' sound. Whenever anyone asked her age, she'd say "I'm free".

During cuddle time one afternoon I decided to try and teach her the 'th' sound. She practised and practised - I'm tha-ree, I'm tha-ree. After a few minutes, the sound came out - I'm three, I'm three, I'm three!!! Delighted with her new skill, she skipped off to play in the backyard.

Ten minutes later, a very excited little girl comes rushing back inside. "Mummy, mummy... come and see, come and see! Come and see the throg in the garden!"

Oh that's adorable.

Did the srog moobe?

Old 04-30-2011, 06:30 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post

That is so funny! Cute story.

My daughter couldn't say an "s" if it was combined with another consonant. Scary was cary and Smarties were Marties. I think she got over that by Kindergarten. Now she's fluent in Spanish and is studying Chinese and Russian. Don't worry too much at that age!

Old 05-03-2011, 10:17 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
My just 4year old dd cannot pronounce the letters "f" or "v", but uses the sound "s" and "b" in their place.

So instead of saying "five" for example, she says "sibe".

She says everything else perfectly, and I thought she'd grow out of it, but now I'm not so sure.

Is this a normal 4 year old thing or should I start to look into speech therapy?
My 5 year old neice uses "Y" for "L", and "T" for C".
So if she is saying "I like that", she'll say," I yike that". Or "yook at that" instead of "look at that". For Cat, she says Tat. She is hard to understand. And if you repeat what she said, she gets mad, because YOU are the one saying it wrong.
She is an only child, and her parents do not correct her. Because she gets mad. She is spoiled. People gave her so much positive attention for miss-speaking, and thought it was cute when she was 2-3 years old, that she keeps it up.
My son, used to mix up his "V's" and "B's". Each time he mixed them up, I would have him say it the correct way. He speaks just fine.
Some kids need a little steering, while others are just spoiled. And some need speach therapy. See what you can do, yourself, while being patient. If that doesn't work, ask your DR. what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting