Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 03:29 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Here's the latest update.

Since the wisdom teeth are still impacted, it's covered under his health insurance, not his dental insurance. That's good because health insurance has a higher coverage limit than dental insurance.

We don't know the deductible yet, but what if it's $1,500? Or higher? He doesn't have that kind of money within 30 days. Hopefully an oral surgeon will make a payment plan for him, but that's doubtful since they usually want payment in full at the time the services are rendered.

The reduced cost clinics will take much longer for approval than the 30 days available. As a result, a private oral surgeon is the only hope of this being done before he loses coverage.

I suspect she's responsible to pay the deductible because she's responsible by law to provide health insurance until he graduates. But it would be nice if this could all be accomplished without requiring her to pay. He just doesn't need the trauma of going through court against his mother.
Hopes, even though he doesn't "need" the trauma of going through court against his mother, if he needs medical insurance and she is his "legal custodian", regardless of whether or not she "kicked him out" or not, there is no reason for him to not make the appointment and get the dental work done. She IS responsible for that deductible.

Whether she kicked him out or he moved out on his own, if she is the parent who has legal custody of that child, AND she has medical insurance on him, she IS responsible for that medical care. It isn't a matter oif taking her to court. It is a matter of him getting the care and her being billed for the deductible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 03:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Hopes, even though he doesn't "need" the trauma of going through court against his mother, if he needs medical insurance and she is his "legal custodian", regardless of whether or not she "kicked him out" or not, there is no reason for him to not make the appointment and get the dental work done. She IS responsible for that deductible.

Whether she kicked him out or he moved out on his own, if she is the parent who has legal custody of that child, AND she has medical insurance on him, she IS responsible for that medical care. It isn't a matter oif taking her to court. It is a matter of him getting the care and her being billed for the deductible.
That's the problem. Oral surgeons require payment up front. It's going to be hard for him to find a surgeon who is willing to risk billing her.

One way or another, he's going to have this surgery this month. It's just a matter of finding the right solution. Unfortuately, the solution is very complicated and we're running out of time.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
That's the problem. Oral surgeons require payment up front. It's going to be hard for him to find a surgeon who is willing to risk billing her.

One way or another, he's going to have this surgery this month. It's just a matter of finding the right solution. Unfortuately, the solution is very complicated and we're running out of time.
If it were me, I would most certainly haul his butt down to the health department and social services. Especially if he's having problems. You know, perhaps you should both contact his mother and let her know that he absolutely needs this surgery and you ARE taking him in. Of course, that's just me.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
If it were me, I would most certainly haul his butt down to the health department and social services. Especially if he's having problems.
The first step is to find out for certain if an oral surgeon will not operate without the deductible being paid in advance.

Quote:
You know, perhaps you should both contact his mother and let her know that he absolutely needs this surgery and you ARE taking him in. Of course, that's just me.
I know it won't motivate her because she's on a power trip right now. I know she won't do anything unless the courts mandate it.

She already knew he needed this surgery last summer. She didn't take him on her own when he lived with her.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:34 PM

I just found out that the custody order is mandating her to support him until he graduates.

He would need to take his mother to court. He's not going to want to do that. (I don't blame him.)

CYS suggested he apply for medical assistance. I was trying to avoid pointing him in that direction.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:55 PM

157 posts, read 140,615 times
1-800-986-kids 7am-7pm M-F. 9am-3pm Sat. It took 3 minutes to find that number and the person at the other end has all the answers.

www.dpw.state.pa.us Applications can be made online for either full or partial (deductable) payment.

CHIPS is availabe once he turns 19 or if he is without insurance for 6 months.

Now see how easy that was?

Old 04-29-2011, 04:55 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Quote:
I just found out that the custody order is mandating her to support him until he graduates.

He would need to take his mother to court. He's not going to want to do that. (I don't blame him.)

CYS suggested he apply for medical assistance. I was trying to avoid pointing him in that direction.
Considering the short time he has, I would do it.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by standupandbecounted View Post
1-800-986-kids 7am-7pm M-F. 9am-3pm Sat. It took 3 minutes to find that number and the person at the other end has all the answers.

www.dpw.state.pa.us Applications can be made online for either full or partial (deductable) payment.
Guess you missed the part about trying to avoid pointing him in the direction of medical assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by standupandbecounted View Post
CHIPS is availabe once he turns 19 or if he is without insurance for 6 months.
I already looked into Chips. The program is being phased out. It won't be available for adults when he turns 19.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Considering the short time he has, I would do it.
Well, decisions will be made by the first half of next week. The oral surgeons' offices are closed for the weekend. They all want the policy information.

He hasn't had time to call the health insurance company. He won't have time to do so until tomorrow because he has been working all week.

Last edited by JustJulia; 04-29-2011 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: Removed reference to deleted comments.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:46 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,005 times
Hopes, something to check when he call the insurance company. See if the family deductible or out of pocket max has been reached. Some policies don't have a deductible for each family member, but the family as a whole.

Maybe if the family has been using the insurance and have met their maximums, he may not need the full deductible up front.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:

You're running out of time, I'd get that application filled out or he could be SOL. They're likely only going to cover him if he doesn't have additional insurance...therefore, THEY are going to go after his mother, since she is the policyholder for his insurance. This is something that should have been done already.

You know, when a kid decides to leave if his mother says, "Either you do what you're supposed to do, or get out." She's giving the child a choice. If that was the case, and I highly suspect it is, he CHOSE to leave. Therefore, he was not kicked out. You did what you had to do...and it's something you can live with, but his story stinks to high heaven....but then this conversation is about insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting