Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 02:24 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmgsdder View Post
I admire your mothers discipline for keeping her weight the way it is. Her delivery may not be the best, but at least she is aware of her weight and is disciplined to keep it that way. In a country were obesity is a problem, she should be commended for her desire to keep her target weight!
I've met plenty of "thin" people who were the polar opposite of healthy and plenty of "overweight" folks who were quite healthy. Weight is just a number on a scale, not a determination of ones health. Being a slave to that number is the opposite of healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 02:28 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I've met plenty of "thin" people who were the polar opposite of healthy and plenty of "overweight" folks who were quite healthy. Weight is just a number on a scale, not a determination of ones health. Being a slave to that number is the opposite of healthy.
Yep....I know several very thin people who have horrid eating habits. I'd also say that eating nothing and drinking coffee all day is not setting a great example...plus what is so magical about 115? On someone who is 4'10, 115 looks a lot different than it does on a 6'3 high school volleyball player.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:35 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Im sorry but my mother had that clean your plate mentality and Im sure that is what contributed to my sisters obesity and now her health issues . I never cleaned my plate and I never had weight issues because I would pretend like I was eating and my mother had so many kids , she never paid attention anyway. I think picky eaters are formed when kids are allowed to eat only what they like . Our dad would just look the other way and not say anything . My mother used to tell my sister that it was in her genes to be big . Nope it was because my mother and her clean your plate philosophy.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:44 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
I do not have a "clean your plate" mentality. I DO have a "I'm not a short order cook" mentality. Also, if you're not hungry, then you don't need to eat it - whatever it is. But that also means you're not hungry in 20 minutes for ice cream, or any other 'sweet'. If you throw out food, you don't get DIFFERENT food.

However, the exception is 'new' recipes and we go by MY tastes for that - my children and my husband have very picky tastes, though the kids are starting to grow out of it. If I won't eat it, no one has to - but if I like it, you must at least try it. If you detest it, then you can have pb&J. No dessert though.

I was recently lectured by another child who explained to me that she and her mother aren't ever going to be fat - because they only eat healthy. As she scarfed down 3-4 donuts. 'Thin' doesn't mean 'healthy'. Sometimes it just means "I have a fast metabolism".

Old 05-04-2011, 02:53 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
I'm lucky my kids are very adventurous with food. I won't make food for them that I know they don't like, and if we are out I won't force them to eat those foods either. If they don't like the food they can get a piece of fruit or a yogurt.

We had friends who forced their kids to eat everything whether they liked it or not. I have memories of sitting at the dinner table with them, and their kids were retching with each mouthful. It was disgusting, and a ridiculous power-play. I vowed I would never do anything like that.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:27 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
I am pretty chilled out about what the kids eat, of course my boys are the weird ones who like salads and veggies, none of them care for onions, so I usually don't use them much. If someone does not like what we are having they are welcome to heat up leftovers, make themselves a sandwich or a bowl of cereal. I am another one who does not subscribe to making a child eat everything on their plate.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:27 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,469 times
Our rule is if it is on your plate and you do not like it then put it to one side and say nothing.

There are no snacks between meals.

Usually when we are dishing out the meal we will ask the kids if they want this or that. But if they are late arriving at the table then they end up with a bit of everything on their plate because they were not there to answer the question. If they are not at the table when grace is said though then they do not get to eat.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Amen to this, I cringe when I hear someone bring up BMI. My husband is big, his BMI shows him overweight, however he has 19 inch biceps, a 52 inch back and chest and a cholestrol level that most people would be envious about. On the other hand his uncle is normal weight according to his BMI, is a runner and has very high cholesterol and had to have bypass surgery, so really one's weight is by no means an accurate determination of one's health.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:31 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,647,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
Our rule is if it is on your plate and you do not like it then put it to one side and say nothing.

There are no snacks between meals.

Usually when we are dishing out the meal we will ask the kids if they want this or that. But if they are late arriving at the table then they end up with a bit of everything on their plate because they were not there to answer the question. If they are not at the table when grace is said though then they do not get to eat.
Wow I'd hate to be your kid!! LOL

Old 05-04-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmgsdder View Post
I admire your mothers discipline for keeping her weight the way it is. Her delivery may not be the best, but at least she is aware of her weight and is disciplined to keep it that way. In a country were obesity is a problem, she should be commended for her desire to keep her target weight!
let's see, her mother goes over 115 and she stops eating and just drinks coffee, and you admire that?????? That is not healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting