Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 04:53 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Say you have a 16 year old daughter. She claims that all of her friends drink alcohol at least occasionally and their parents are fine with it. They argue that allowing their children to have drinking parties but being there is the best route, because they are going to end up drinking anyway, and supervision is always better than non-supervision. Then she asks you to let her and her six female friends have a sleepover at your house, which will involve alcohol. Do you let her have the sleepover?
While I have no issues with people letting their 16-year-olds drink responsibly.... there is no way in hell I'd host a gathering where 16-year-olds are consuming alcohol unless every single one of their parents is there supervising as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 05:43 AM

88,513 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Say you have a 16 year old daughter. She claims that all of her friends drink alcohol at least occasionally and their parents are fine with it. They argue that allowing their children to have drinking parties but being there is the best route, because they are going to end up drinking anyway, and supervision is always better than non-supervision. Then she asks you to let her and her six female friends have a sleepover at your house, which will involve alcohol. Do you let her have the sleepover?
Nope, I would not. My d is 19 now, and I do know parents that allowed their kids to have friends over and drink in their homes at that age. It was never really something I faced because my daughter and her friends did not drink. Too much liability for one thing, and for another, I am divorced from a drunk and my personal tolerance for them is low.

As the poster above me says, I have no problem with parents who allow their own children to have a drink in their presence, but other people's kids? You are asking for problems.

My brothers had a party once when they were teenagers and my parents were out. One of the boys who attended went home drunk and puked all over, and his mother, who had divorced an alcoholic husband, was livid. She called the police and they came to my parents' house. Luckily, it's a small town and the cops knew my parents all their lives and they didn't get hit with any charges, especially because they weren't home and didn't know what was going on, but it could have been worse.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:24 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Where I grew up the drinking age was 16, and I would not ever consider doing this. I read a story recently of such a party. 2 of the girls attending decided to go for a walk, and one stepped out in front of a car and was killed.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:36 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
No, no and Hell No! YOU are responsible for providing alcohol to a minor - bad idea. YOU are responsible if anything goes wrong.

I just worked a claim last year where another teen-age boy died of alcohol poisoning while attending one of those 'parties' at his friend's home. The father who was provind all the alcohol for this party - was sentenced to jail for allowing all this to take place in his home.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:45 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I just worked a claim last year where another teen-age boy died of alcohol poisoning while attending one of those 'parties' at his friend's home. The father who was provind all the alcohol for this party - was sentenced to jail for allowing all this to take place in his home.
You raise an excellent, and often unknown point. Alcohol is extremely toxic to children and young teens. A very small amount can kill a child.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:00 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,994,817 times
Quote:
Of course I would.......NOT!

If you let your 16yo drink alcohol under your roof, then that's your business; you're her parent. But letting her friends (who are not your children) drink under your roof is a very very terrible idea. You don't know know how things will play out with the other girls; something may go terribly wrong. Plus, you'll be in deep water with the other parents if they ever found you that you let their daughters drink in your home.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:09 AM

13,413 posts, read 9,941,794 times
I also think it's a bad idea - if something was to happen to one of the them, how would you be able to live with it?

Not to mention the thought of a bunch of tipsy 16 year old girls running around my house is enough to give me the willies.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:19 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
No. I can't even believe the parents wouldn't understand this just from the liabilty angle altho not the most important reason to not allw it. I would be letting my kid sleep over at any of their houses also.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:23 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Nope!!! It's your child's claims are not worth your house, job, legal fees and freedom!!! I'd also keep her away from those friends.

I can't believe this is a real question!!!

Old 05-07-2011, 07:33 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,685,428 times
No, I would not allow this.

My parents allowed me and my friends to drink at home when I was a teenager, as did other parents I knew. It was always disgusting. Kids puking and doing other stupid things. I think it is extremely irresponsible and just plain wrong. I did have one friend when I was a teen and everyone at the dinner table was served one glass of wine, including teen friends. That was the most responsible scenario that I ever encountered. Even with that though, I wouldn't do it unless I had clear permission from the other parents to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting