Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 02:20 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times

Advertisements

"I dislike children, how do I get over this?"

Chances are they were improperly prepared. It's only natural to want to cook them well done, especially the chubby, well-marbled ones, but much like a pork shoulder roast, they respond best to low, dry heat over a long cooking time.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:29 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
"I dislike children, how do I get over this?"

Chances are they were improperly prepared. It's only natural to want to cook them well done, especially the chubby, well-marbled ones, but much like a pork shoulder roast, they respond best to low, dry heat over a long cooking time.
You must've attended the Lecter-Dahmer seminars have you not?

Old 05-09-2011, 07:38 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
You really want to hate kids... Babysit for a couple of two year olds....

Bravo, you nailed it. I used to babysit when I was a teen, that is where I got my start as a kid hater, well I do not really hate them, let's say I do not want to be around them.

Cannot wait until I get old and sit on the porch with my shotgun........just wating to chase off that stray kid.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:41 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
Thinking more on my personal situation, I find another irritation about parents and young kids is their attitude that "life is over" due to having to take care of them.
I started some other thread in the exercise section regarding persons driving to the gym and crowding up the parking lot.
While trying not to appear as a "car-hater", I noticed many saying that bicycling, walking, or buses on a short-distance were out of the question due to taking care of the kids.
If anything, SUV/Minivan IS THE ONLY WAY, can't stop them, won't even.

Aside from that scenario, there's also friends I have that recently had a couple of kids and are now under house-arrest if not working.

The way I look at it, some are subconsciously treating their kids like a burden as opposed to getting out and living a little every once in awhile.
It's cool if one wants to raise a family, but it shouldn't also mean a drastic change in the way you live your life.

So, as some posters already mentioned, I may actually have a grievance with the parents as opposed to the babies.
My mind has just been a bit clouded and the targeting system has been hit/miss.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:43 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Thinking more on my personal situation, I find another irritation about parents and young kids is their attitude that "life is over" due to having to take care of them.
I started some other thread in the exercise section regarding persons driving to the gym and crowding up the parking lot.
While trying not to appear as a "car-hater", I noticed many saying that bicycling, walking, or buses on a short-distance were out of the question due to taking care of the kids.

Aside from that scenario, there's also friends I have that recently had a couple of kids and are now under house-arrest if not working.

The way I look at it, some are subconsciously treating their kids like a burden as opposed to getting out and living a little every once in awhile.
It's cool if one wants to raise a family, but it shouldn't also mean a drastic change in the way you live your life.

So, as some posters already mentioned, I may actually have a grievance with the parents as opposed to the babies.

I'm not sure what the issue is here. You are upset people are taking up parking spaces in a parking lot? Are you denying that it is much more difficult to get from point A to point B with children in tow?

I have children and I live 10 city blocks from the local gym. I've tried to walk it with the kids so I could work out. By the time I got there, I was too tired to put much effort into "real" exercise.

I think some of us parents have issues with non-parents failing to understand the logistics of having children.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:14 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
I know people like this, and I wonder why did they have kids?

My life changed for the better in so many ways after I had a child - but I waited until I was somewhat older. 20 years of partying got pretty boring and meaningless toward the end.

Now I look forward to coming home every day to a toddler who is genuinely delighted to see me and an endless source of wonder, bewilderment and fun.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:48 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Quote:

Well, one way or another having young children really does mean a drastic change in the way one lives -- it's just the reality. Most parents realize that there are both pros and cons with having children. Are you perhaps envious that your friends now have other stuff going on in their life? It does admittedly change relationships (or at least schedules), at least when the kids are very small. I don't think most parents, however, think life is over, it's just different. If their life had previously been heavy on the partying then the change is probably more drastic.

By the way, plenty of us parents get around just fine without cars. Don't blame the parents for what you may consider to be an overly car-dependent lifestyle; that's just the American way (for better or worse) in most parts of the country these days, for both those with and without kids.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:53 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,685,428 times
Quote:

Having kids does change life drastically. It doesn't mean parents have to stop living, but there is no denying that kids are a lot of work and everything changes upon their arrival. Some of my child-free friends have struggled with the changes in my approach to life since having kids. One of my friends literally becomes angry with me because I cannot spend the usual 8-10 hours at her house chatting and sipping wine. This is just one example. My friend's perspective sounds similar to yours, but for me it's just the reality of having children. Life does change when you have children - and not just a little bit.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:26 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
To those who don't like children, I offer this advice, look deeply into the mirror.
Yes but if you no longer can see that child, it's because you let yourself get old. It's what we knew when we were kids, there were old people and there were big people who were still like kids in a way, the young at heart.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:18 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:

Well, I do think non-parents underestimate the space that kids take up in your life. It's HUGE and it is a drastic change - like it or not. I don't think most of us realize it until it happens. With both partners working full time and taking care of a child - they probably do not have a lot of free time.

Perhaps you should offer to babysit so they can get out once in a while?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting