U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 06:11 PM

36,502 posts, read 49,350,297 times

Advertisements

It's that time of year again and DH and I were talking about proms when we were young.

Back in the stone age, we called it Jr. Sr. as in the juniors put on a prom for the seniors. We decorated the gym, made the dinner and kind of honored the seniors. Now of course it is a big deal and expensive shindig in hotels.

So here's the questions. How do small towns do the prom? Do people still decorate the gym? With this economy and so many people out of work, do some schools even have a prom anymore? Do girls go with girls anymore? Does a good prom have live music? a DJ?
How much does it cost to do prom and who pays? Just wondering how proms work now days.

Tell me how it is done in your hometown. Not how it was done when you were in high school but how your teenagers now do it.
Many thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 06:42 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,029,451 times
My proms were in '08 and '09- I didn't go to either, but I remember the ticket price was $75. A bunch of people I knew just went with a group of friends (maybe some dates thrown in there, too). They held it in a hotel, I'm pretty sure with just a DJ.

My close friends and I decided to group up with some others who just wanted to go to dinner and have an after party.. none of us wanted to spend the insane amount of money for the tickets and long dresses!

Old 05-07-2011, 06:59 PM

23,659 posts, read 25,963,136 times
Hmm...I don't live in a small town but rather an average sized suburb. I'd say you can do prom here at either extreme of $$ and have a good time either way. Prom is not held at the school but at some other venue. I think tickets run 25-35 and I'm pretty sure its a DJ. Afterwards the school hosts an "after prom" party in the school with food and activities all night. It is pretty typical then to have a bunch of kids crash at one persons house and the mom makes breakfast when they wake up around noon. Kids here may or may not have a date and may go to the afterprom without going to prom.....pretty much anything goes in that regard...

Old 05-07-2011, 07:36 PM

20,793 posts, read 57,718,768 times
In our old town they have prom at the high school, gym decorated, etc. Kids usually have dinner at someone's home before the dance. It is that way mainly because there is no where in town to have a large function like that.

In our town now Prom is not at the school or a hotel but at a building downtown. Kids do a meal on their own and then go to the dance.

When I was in high school prom was at a hotel but everyone had dinner at the hotel and the dance was there after dinner. It was actually LESS expensive than going out for dinner, etc.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:59 PM

4,281 posts, read 5,619,709 times
I graduated in the 2000's and didn't go to prom. I think the tickets were around $75 dollars at the school I went to my senior year. That prom was somewhere that was nowhere near the school (I think it was at a hotel). It was probably an hour away because the area the school was didn't have any buildings for a large venue like that. Many people went with a date alone. However, many groups of boyfriends/girlfriends went together.

The district I went to for most of my education had a stipulation that other districts don't have. Prom was not allowed to be at a hotel.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:24 PM

13,860 posts, read 23,495,215 times
The proms around here are insanely expensive. The tickets are $75.00 pp. Tux rentals are $150 and up.
The kids all chip in to rent a limo, and that worked out to $100/couple. Then, dinner at a nice restaurant downtown prior to the actual prom, about $100/couple again. We generally picked up the cost of the limo and the tux (but we ended up buying a tux for the youngest after the rental prices kept rising and he had so many formals to attend). The kids paid for the tickets and dinner.

My neighbor's daughter just went to her first prom as a sophomore, and they bought her a $300.00 dress. I can only imagine what she'll expect in 2 years.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The proms around here are insanely expensive. The tickets are $75.00 pp. Tux rentals are $150 and up.
The kids all chip in to rent a limo, and that worked out to $100/couple. Then, dinner at a nice restaurant downtown prior to the actual prom, about $100/couple again. We generally picked up the cost of the limo and the tux (but we ended up buying a tux for the youngest after the rental prices kept rising and he had so many formals to attend). The kids paid for the tickets and dinner.

My neighbor's daughter just went to her first prom as a sophomore, and they bought her a $300.00 dress. I can only imagine what she'll expect in 2 years.
In all fairness though much of what you describe are choices not the cost of prom itself. Frugal and or clever/creative teens "can" attend prom without necessarily spending all of that....

Old 05-08-2011, 07:53 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,289,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

In all fairness though much of what you describe are choices not the cost of prom itself. Frugal and or clever/creative teens "can" attend prom without necessarily spending all of that....
In all fairness, it depends on the prom culture of the are. On Long Island, NY, where I'm from, this is the norm. My school's prom (I did not attend) was on a boat which sailed around the Statue of Liberty in Manhattan. Tickets were $75 pp.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:19 AM

I wasn't talking about the ticket price there isn't much you can do about that - that was why I said "much" not "all".... Once CAN choose whether to take a limo at $100+ pp and whether to spend a ton on a dress or whether to got out to an expensive dinner. Those are choices that can make prom much more than it has to be. One does not NEED to do those to attend prom and have a good time. Often times, the more memorable things in life are not necessarily the most extravagant ones but the ones people took the time to do some creative planning with. One of the coolest things I heard was of a boy who took his prom date on a picnic, which he had prepared ahead of time and arranged for his brothers to serve.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:39 AM

10,629 posts, read 25,022,103 times
Our local high school always has the prom off-site, with the specific location varying by year. Usually it's downtown somewhere. I'm not sure how much it costs, but they generally try to keep tickets low so that everyone can go. Limos don't seem to be the norm, and while many boys do rent tuxes (the school has some discount coupons they hand out, too) not all do. People go with dates or individually as part of groups (with or without a date). I believe the music is usually a DJ. It's not a big deal, although it is fancier than the other school dances (which are all in the school gym).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting