Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 01:11 AM

736 posts, read 1,695,887 times

Advertisements

Okay, I have to ask. What's with all these names that sound more like surnames and in some cases you can't tell what gender they're for?

The one I can think of right now is Hayden, or Jayden...there are boys with these names and they sound more like girls' names to me.

What is the appeal of giving such a name to a little boy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 04:57 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,338,602 times
It's because people who use those types of names want to be unique. Conventional names are not good enough for them so they choose these horrible sounding names.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:11 AM

758 posts, read 1,872,754 times
Until Hayden Paniteri (whatever her name is) from Heroes came along, I had never heard of a girl with that name. It's my youngest child's middle name and I don't see it as trendy or unisex, I just like it. I find it funny that a name starts out as a boy name and then it is given to a girl and suddenly it is a girl name.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:18 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3divina View Post
The one I can think of right now is Hayden, or Jayden...there are boys with these names and they sound more like girls' names to me.

What is the appeal of giving such a name to a little boy?
Hayden IS a boy name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
Until Hayden Paniteri (whatever her name is) from Heroes came along, I had never heard of a girl with that name. It's my youngest child's middle name and I don't see it as trendy or unisex, I just like it. I find it funny that a name starts out as a boy name and then it is given to a girl and suddenly it is a girl name.
Exactly! Hayden has always been a boy name! Just because people started giving it to girls in the 1990s doesn't make it a girl name now.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:29 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,957,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I bet the people who get so upset about my opinion are the ones who picked the trendy name or have one themselves.
Yes, because those of us with a name that could be either boy or girl had a say in the matter.....

Anywho... I've always considered Hayden a boys name - my husbands cousin named their son that many years ago.

I love some surnames that can be first names - Thomas for one. Taylor. It's a great way of continuing on a family name on the other side of the family.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:30 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
I don't think people are doing it to be "different" or unique given that these names AREN'T different -- realistically these kids are going to be in classrooms filled with lots of other kids with similar names. They probably heard these names a lot from friends and from other kids and parents and like the sound of them. Tastes change, and many people don't want a name that sounds like it's dated. Very few names are true classics, (or "conventional") and that's fine. I think the trend towards last-name-like names is a trend back towards an attempt at more classic names, but with an updated twist. Older-sounding names like Henry, Emma, etc. are also in vogue lately, so the return to names that sound, well, very un-70s or un-80s (which is when many of today's parents were born) seems to fit the broader pattern.

Names change, and gender associations change. If you look at names popular 100, even 50 years ago, there are differences. Many names either become unisex or else veer one way or the other. Leslie and Carol, for example.

As far as gender identification, I don't think a unisex name is going to hurt anyone. People figure it out. I wouldn't saddle my kid with a name that was very traditionally known as being from the opposite gender, but I don't think that's the case with last name as first names. They seem, to me, as truly unisex, even if I personally consider some more feminine or masculine than others.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:31 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,905,316 times
I know someone who chose Hayden (an old English boy's name) because they liked Aidan, but Aidan/Aiden has become ridiculously popular the last 5-6 years. They just liked that sound, and were tired of the current traditional names you commonly see now like Robert/John/etc. They had also considered Braeden. I think parents sometimes just want to be unique, it's a personal decision. It's all cyclical, what might be a girl's name now will some day be a boy's name I'm sure. It doesn't bother me unless it's near impossible to pronounce, or has another meaning like "Apple" does.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:34 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,659 times
I knew a girl named Hayden who was born in the early 70's. I actually thought it was girl's name until it became so popular. I like it.

The new one that I'm hearing is "Harper".

Old 10-07-2010, 07:43 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,338,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I know someone who chose Hayden (an old English boy's name) because they liked Aidan, but Aidan/Aiden has become ridiculously popular the last 5-6 years. They just liked that sound, and were tired of the current traditional names you commonly see now like Robert/John/etc. They had also considered Braeden. I think parents sometimes just want to be unique, it's a personal decision. It's all cyclical, what might be a girl's name now will some day be a boy's name I'm sure. It doesn't bother me unless it's near impossible to pronounce, or has another meaning like "Apple" does.

That's exactly what I said. Its the drive to be different in most cases.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:44 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
That's exactly what I said. Its the drive to be different in most cases.
Or they like how the name sounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting