Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 12:44 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,750,236 times

Advertisements

As a parent I am aware of babies and children getting low grade fevers with teeth coming in but are there any other possibilities for a phantom fever? Toddler X on occasion will get a phantom low grade fever that is not connected to any other symptom. I told this to his pediatrician today and she says that phantom fevers do occur without any symptoms such as sore throat or ear ache and if it is three days of low grade fever then she will see him. I just find it a bit bizarre. This is his second day of a phantom fever ranging from 100.8 to 101.00 and I have been giving him motrin/tylenol (switching them) to break it but there has been no other symptoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 12:51 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
My middle son used to get these. He grew out of it.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:55 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Years ago my 3 year old woke up screaming in the middle of the night with temp of 104. I immediately put her in the bathtub with cool water and gave her tylenol. I stayed right by her when she went back to sleep. I was going to take her to emergency room if she didn't go to sleep but I would have had to wake up a bunch of other kids too as DH was out of town.

The next day she was fine. No fever, no symptoms. I couldn't believe it. Happened only once. So what was that all about? She had absolutely no symptoms before or after such a high fever.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:13 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,750,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Years ago my 3 year old woke up screaming in the middle of the night with temp of 104. I immediately put her in the bathtub with cool water and gave her tylenol. I stayed right by her when she went back to sleep. I was going to take her to emergency room if she didn't go to sleep but I would have had to wake up a bunch of other kids too as DH was out of town.

The next day she was fine. No fever, no symptoms. I couldn't believe it. Happened only once. So what was that all about? She had absolutely no symptoms before or after such a high fever.

Oh my! 104! And she was fine the next day? The body truly baffles me.

He got his fever after dinner last night. I thought it might be the food but no other symptoms came on. I gave him tylenol and then he was up and running about till bedtime. Then he got up about 2am with the fever again, I gave him motrin, a cool drink and washed him down with a cool cloth. We watched a little telly and he fell right to sleep. I gave him tylenol in the morning (no fever but just in case) then the fever came on again sometime around 1.30 pm. I called the doctor earlier this morning to let her know and she said phantom fever.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:46 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

When my daughter was 13 months old, I got a panicked call from day care saying that my DD was fine, suddenly turned blue and spiked a fever to 104. She wasn't choking on anything and was breathing fine. They immediately started cooling her down and gave her Tylenol. I had just left the office for the day when they called. I called them again on my way to check on her (about a 10 minute drive). They told me that she was feeling completely normal and her temp was back down to 98.3. When I got to the day care, she looked absolutely fine. As I went to pick her up to take her home, she started turning blue and her temp started rising again. Within a minute she was back up to 104. I grabbed some ice packs and put them around her and drove to the hospital.

By the time we got there she was normal again. As I was trying to convince the ER nurses that this was more of an emergency than the people with the sniffles (seriously the ER was filled with these people), it happened again. We ended up staying in the hospital for 3 days while they ran every test they could think of. On the 4th day they told me they hadn't found anything and since it hadn't happened in 24 hours, they were sending us home. I was glad to be going home (exhausted), but still wish to this day we had a definitive answer on what it was.

It happened about 25-30 times. It was the scariest experience of my life. Luckily, it hasn't happened since then.

On a side note, WTH were all of the people with sniffles and very basic colds doing filling up the ER. These people were killing me. Seriously, take some Nyquil and go to bed. Leave the Emergency Room for people who have an emergency. It is right in the name.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:54 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,469 times
Homework not done.
bullying

Old 05-12-2011, 08:56 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Still, to this day, I will wake up in the morning with a bump behind my ear and a little fever. I call off work/school and go back to sleep. Wake up a few hours later and I'm fine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting