Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 06:44 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,294,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I think the overwhelming response to what this mother did proves that most people are smart enough to distinguish between this type of insanity and correcting flaws or defects that either do, or have the potential to damage self-esteem, or result in bullying.

I'd also add situations change in ways you can't predict. My DD8 has a hemangioma on her thigh. It's no bigger than a dime, and has never bothered her before. Since the weather has warmed up and she has been wearing shorts, and some little snot in her class has been teasing her about it. Now all of a sudden she is very self-conscious about it. I don't see the need to remove it, but she has to live with it not me, so I'll see what happens, and we'll do what we need to do.

Like I said on the last thread of this nature, changing a feature of the victim is not the right way to handle bullying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 06:49 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,945,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Eh I disagree. I'm doing them a larger favor in life by teaching them that looks are not a great measure of a person and that we shouldn't change ourselves just so others accept us.

It's not an extreme view. It's teaching a child to love themselves.
Letting a child live with a disfigurement that is fixable because you have a stubborn principle regarding looks being irrelevant, which might be your opinion but not necessarily theirs, does not teach a child to love themselves, it just allows you to stick to your guns at somebody else's expense.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:54 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,945,815 times
Quote:
I think the overwhelming response to what this mother did proves that most people are smart enough to distinguish between this type of insanity and correcting flaws or defects that either do, or have the potential to damage self-esteem, or result in bullying.

I'd also add situations change in ways you can't predict. My DD8 has a hemangioma on her thigh. It's no bigger than a dime, and has never bothered her before. Since the weather has warmed up and she has been wearing shorts, and some little snot in her class has been teasing her about it. Now all of a sudden she is very self-conscious about it. I don't see the need to remove it, but she has to live with it not me, so I'll see what happens, and we'll do what we need to do.
Zimbochick, regarding your daughter's hemangioma, it should start to involute on it's own around 9 - I'm sorry she has to go through the teasing.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:56 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,063 times
Quote:
Eh I disagree. I'm doing them a larger favor in life by teaching them that looks are not a great measure of a person and that we shouldn't change ourselves just so others accept us.

It's not an extreme view. It's teaching a child to love themselves.
Good for you. It's not all one extreme or the other either you know. Forcing children to live with a defect could be considered cruel and unusual, especially if they are living with it daily, and not you. I trust mine, and my children's intellect enough to be able to distinguish between an entirely elective "vanity" procedure, and the surgical correction of a defect should we need to cross that bridge.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Letting a child live with a disfigurement that is fixable because you have a stubborn principle regarding looks being irrelevant, which might be your opinion but not necessarily theirs, does not teach a child to love themselves, it just allows you to stick to your guns at somebody else's expense.
No it doesn't. I speak from personal experience.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Good for you. It's not all one extreme or the other either you know. Forcing children to live with a defect could be considered cruel and unusual, especially if they are living with it daily, and not you. I trust mine, and my children's intellect enough to be able to distinguish between an entirely elective "vanity" procedure, and the surgical correction of a defect should we need to cross that bridge.
Good for you.

I'm speaking on a societal level as well. If we condone changing OUR BODIES so others will accept us that speaks volumes about the type of society we live in. One that I'm not so proud to be part of.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:00 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Quote:
No it doesn't. I speak from personal experience.
And that's great. It obviously worked well for you. Every person and every situation is different though. I have no doubt that there are people out there it didn't work for. Their negative experience doesn't invalidate your positive one.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:03 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Zimbochick, regarding your daughter's hemangioma, it should start to involute on it's own around 9 - I'm sorry she has to go through the teasing.
Thanks! I know we'll probably just wait it out, and I think she'll be fine. It started out about the size of a quarter, so it is smaller now. It's bad timing with shorts, swimsuits, and the teasing all happening simultaneously, and at the age where they are starting to be a bit body-conscious.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
And that's great. It obviously worked well for you. Every person and every situation is different though. I have no doubt that there are people out there it didn't work for. Their negative experience doesn't invalidate your positive one.
Meh. There are things with me that are non-negotiable on teaching my children. This is a biggie. I will never believe changing physical attributes so others will accept us is a good idea. I take a pretty hard line on this one.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:08 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Quote:
Meh. There are things with me that are non-negotiable on teaching my children. This is a biggie. I will never believe changing physical attributes so others will accept us is a good idea. I take a pretty hard line on this one.
And mine is that our own experiences aren't the only experiences that are valid. Lots of gray areas in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting