Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 11:07 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Did I state that they went swimming? No I merely pointed out that it is not a big deal. You assumed they went swimming, they just choose to stay out of the pool. Again its not a big deal unless you make it one. Next time don't assume maybe ask a question to clarify.
My daughter takes swimming in gym, and she spends quite a bit of the summer at friends' pools and community pools. "Just don't swim" is not reasonable advice for a lot of parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 11:22 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,355 times
Quote:
Did I state that they went swimming? No I merely pointed out that it is not a big deal. You assumed they went swimming, they just choose to stay out of the pool. Again its not a big deal unless you make it one. Next time don't assume maybe ask a question to clarify.
You direct quote was "the swimming thing is bupkis" how in the heck was that assuming anything?

If they want to sit at the pool in bikins with pads, more power to them but that is not what you said.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:30 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times
The just don't swim route is awful.
JUST DON'T SWIM??????????????????????????????
OMFG I would have died in the summers.
I DID die in the summers.
I sat at home and cried while my mom took my brother to the pool in the summer and I couldn't go. My mom got her period at much different times than I did and she NEVER liked to use tampons so we couldn't go when she had her period and I couldn't go when I had mine and that left a very small window.

Once I was able to I went swimming any damn day I pleased...

Oh and try playing sports wearing a pad, feels weird trying to run around with it on.

Tampons are a life saver.
Birth control is even better. 4 periods a year!!!!

After I have 2 kids I am going to make it where I won't EVER have a period EVER again.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:52 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Wondering where the violins are kept around here.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:01 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
All I know is there are times I'm very glad I don't read this thread until after I've had dinner.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:02 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
That too.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:08 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Quote:
Again more assumptions on your part. If the above poster that you give so much credit to, had asked to clarify my statement instead of assuming then the both of you would have been enlightened.

Your statement makes no sense given the fact that there are so many male gynecologists in the world. Funny little fact to consider.
If dad is a gynecologist, then he has something to add about at least some of the conversation. I think mostly, though, the bulk of any tampon versus pad discussion is about pure practicality issues, and men just don't have any practical experience in that matter. They might be able to help explain the science of menstruation, or the risks of toxic shock syndrome, or things like that, but really, I don't see how the average man has much to add on the practical front when it comes to advising girls on their options. Now maybe if the dad works in the tampon industry or has some other special insights then he has more to add, but when it comes right down to it, the basic biological fact is that men simply don't have periods, don't use pads or tampons (or whatever other options) and therefore can't provide the same personal experience perspective that a woman can.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:27 PM

218 posts, read 562,863 times
I was told to never use tampons when I was younger because of TSS not because of my virginity. So I used pads. I use tampons now though.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:30 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,353 times
I saw a program on TV where a family spent 3 months I think living as if they were living in 1800's I believe. A sort of wild west life style.

The girls had to use a folded rag stuffed into their underpants.

Maybe those of pure moral character could try that

Old 06-14-2011, 09:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,128 times
I think tampons are proper for any girl 12-13 yes, that's young but I think it's her period and her comfort. Parents who don't believe in Tampons, or they set an age limit, say 16, the girl/girls are most likely to wear them anyway, so don't make them sneak behind your back and deceive you. Compromising is the answer! I'm 25, and I personally don't use Tampons, they hurt, I am still a virgin, that's the way it's staying until I'm married. If anyone has anything to say, please let me know. Thank you.

Amanda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting