Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 07:43 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times

Advertisements

I can't use them. Not all women are made the same - though all tampons are too similar. Not to get too graphic here, but they do not work for me. I have tried several different types at several different times of my life. They seem to be so much easier, but we have to do what we have to do.

It seems to me that most people now (including one or two posters here) are awfully judgmental about women who use pads vs tampons. It's a personal thing - it's all gross, and part of life, for a woman. I hope those of you who are coming off as so judgmental in this thread are more understanding than your mothers were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 07:56 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I can't use them. Not all women are made the same - though all tampons are too similar. Not to get too graphic here, but they do not work for me. I have tried several different types at several different times of my life. They seem to be so much easier, but we have to do what we have to do.

It seems to me that most people now (including one or two posters here) are awfully judgmental about women who use pads vs tampons. It's a personal thing - it's all gross, and part of life, for a woman. I hope those of you who are coming off as so judgmental in this thread are more understanding than your mothers were.
I don't think anyone is being judgmental here. I think we are having a good chat about tampons vs pads and age...

What has anyone said to make you feel that way?

BTW I understand your situation with tampons, it is not for everyone.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:08 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
I don't think anyone is being judgmental here. I think we are having a good chat about tampons vs pads and age...

MrsX, good point. I didn't get anyone being judgmental, I remember those warnings that one's womanly virtue wouldn't be intact if one used them before marriage. Hopefully nobody still believes that carp.

Having said that, like sskkc I too had difficulty with them, it was very frustrating. I think if you are able it's a good idea at any age, it's so much more convenient. Perhaps a simple chat about the possible ramifications of not being on top of the hygiene is all that's needed for a young lady.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:09 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,643 times
Quote:

I wasn't trying to be judgemental. I was just saying I find pads gross and think it would be silly to force them on someone. Truthfully, I really don't care how you handle your feminine hygiene needs.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:17 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post

Here was one:

GONE WERE THE DAYS OF NASTY PADS.

I'll get a bit graphic but who WANTS to sit in their own uterus lining? Like seriously who WANTS to feel that in their underpants, just mushing around in it...its disgusting.

And then there were the references that if one uses pads, somehow, they are not "on top of hygiene".

Judgmental and not necessarily true.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:21 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I had no idea that this was even an issue. Women of all ages, even the young teens, use tampons. Some like them, some don't. You might want to mention that she can try out different brands to see what works best and feels most comfortable. I remember Toxic Shock Syndrome and tampons being a big scary issue when I was younger, but they've changed tampon design these days and no longer make the really absorbent ones.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:28 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
My older daughter wears them; she is 15 and has been doing so for a couple years. When she got her period, I told her the options. She was put off by the thought of tampons at first, but after a year or two she asked if she could try them. Look for "junior" or "slender" sizes (not every store has them).

Last edited by JustJulia; 05-18-2011 at 08:39 AM..

Old 05-18-2011, 08:35 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
In the Stone Ages it was common to not let young women wear tampons because it could somehow damage their virginity (hymen). I don't think it was as much a physical concern as it was a moral issue.
When I was coming into adolescence in the 70's my doctor told my mother it was a good idea for young girls to wear tampons, as it would make the 'wedding night' more bearable.
Maybe he was ahead of his time?

Old 05-18-2011, 08:36 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,741 times
Quote:
Here was one:

GONE WERE THE DAYS OF NASTY PADS.

I'll get a bit graphic but who WANTS to sit in their own uterus lining? Like seriously who WANTS to feel that in their underpants, just mushing around in it...its disgusting.

And then there were the references that if one uses pads, somehow, they are not "on top of hygiene".

Judgmental and not necessarily true.
I think Txt was being a bit tongue in cheek....

Everyone has an opinion. They are only offering their thoughts and experiences.

I understand where you are coming from regarding if one uses pads they are not on top of hygiene. It is absolutely not true especially if you change them frequently. It is the same with tampons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
My older daughter wears them; she is 15 and has been doing so for a couple years. When she got her period, I told her the options. She was put off by the thought of tampons at first, but after a year or two she asked if she could try them. Look for "junior" or "slender" sizes (not every store has them).
Thanks Julia!

Old 05-18-2011, 08:36 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,327 times
When I started my period the only thing my Mom had in the house that evening was one of those pads that you pin to your panites. I spent the entire night on the couch with my legs crossed because I thought everyone could see it, lol. The next day my Mom went to the store and bought me tampons. I used tampons up until my daughter was born. For some reason after her birth tampons didn't work anymore, it was like nothing was there at all. I did not like wearing pads and would change them like every 15 minutes. I then decided, since I was not going to have any more children and because I have always had severe cramps, to go and get a uterin ablation. now I don't have to worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting