Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 12:25 PM

841 posts, read 4,838,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
NJ - I have to laugh at the picture you must have made in the aisle of the store, reading a box of Tampax "tweens" while standing there with your toddler daughter. I'm sure there was someone going
THAT is hilarious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 12:31 PM

841 posts, read 4,838,833 times
I honestly never knew about the whole 'tampon loose woman' thing. Wow!

My mom always made tampons and pads available. From day one. She never made a big deal out of either one. I'm 40 now, and I have to say I prefer pads overall but I use tampons at the beach and for swimming, etc.

My lord, menstruating is natural! Just the other day I was kayaking all day with friends and I was thanking my lucky stars for the invention of tampons. Stuck in a kayak all day. Thank god for tampons! No matter the age...tween, teen, or full adult.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:46 PM

436 posts, read 1,522,856 times
I started my period at 13 and only used pads because I was too shy to ask my mom for tampons. However, after my first period, I had very heavy periods. It was awful to have only a pad. Once I had my license and a job, I would just buy tampons for myself. I couldn't imagine now not using tampons. My periods are still so heavy I wouldn't be able to leave the house once a month without tampons.(sorry if that's TMI)

I did have a friend in high school whose mother wouldn't let her use tampons for fear of toxic shock syndrome. She would just get them from friends.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:03 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,396 times
My first period was not a pleasant experience. I was living with my dad and step mom. My dear step mom gave me the pads that you had to wear a belt with, she didn't get me the belt either. I remember trying to play volleyball the next day and it was awful. My friend and her mother were kind enough to buy me some tampons.
I'll give my daughter the option (I'll buy both) to chose the one she wants. Luckily today tampons and pads come in all sizes. We have discussed the situation a little and told her that she needs to be prepared for the day (hopefully she won't be in school when it starts).
The look on her face when I was trying to explain the tampon concept....priceless!

Old 05-18-2011, 01:24 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
I honestly never knew about the whole 'tampon loose woman' thing. Wow!

My mom always made tampons and pads available. From day one. She never made a big deal out of either one. I'm 40 now, and I have to say I prefer pads overall but I use tampons at the beach and for swimming, etc.

My lord, menstruating is natural! Just the other day I was kayaking all day with friends and I was thanking my lucky stars for the invention of tampons. Stuck in a kayak all day. Thank god for tampons! No matter the age...tween, teen, or full adult.
I had never heard of this issue either. I also come from a pretty conservative family. I was given my options on day one and was allowed to try them until I found what worked for me. I guess I was lucky. I had just never even thought about it before.

I want to make sure when DD's time comes, she is aware of her options and gets to make her own decision. If you think about it, is there any other decision in your life that is more personal than this one? It affects no one else and it is your body. It is up to the individual.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:25 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
My mom provided pads with the sticky back, but they were the leftovers from when she had my baby sister, and they were so thick I was walking bowlegged. She bought tampons for me once when we went to the beach, and I had a serious allergic reaction...temp 107, bright red all over, fainting when standing, etc. It wasn't toxic shock syndrome but it was pretty horrible. It took a couple years before I was brave enough to try tampons again, and figured out that I was allergic to that particular brand.

Anyhow, when my sisters started their periods, I was already working and I bought tampons for them and explained how to use them.

My oldest daughter is 9 and seems to be developing already. The other day we were in the lady aisle at Walmart (what she likes to call it) and I told her that soon she'd probably be needing things from that aisle, and to start thinking about what she would want to use. I'll steer her clear of the brand I'm allergic to just in case, but otherwise, I really don't care what she uses. I bought her a pack of pads to practice with but told her she can't practice with tampons until she actually needs them.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:50 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Here was one:

GONE WERE THE DAYS OF NASTY PADS.

I'll get a bit graphic but who WANTS to sit in their own uterus lining? Like seriously who WANTS to feel that in their underpants, just mushing around in it...its disgusting.

And then there were the references that if one uses pads, somehow, they are not "on top of hygiene".

Judgmental and not necessarily true.
Well I wasn't the one who said if you didn't use tampons you weren't up on hygiene.
But my quote....it was TRUE...for me at least and I bet its true for other people.
That's just how I view it, your uterus lining sheds and with pads I feel like you have to sit in it. I remember wearing them over night as a kid, and having to walk carefully to the bathroom every morning...it was just scarring in my opinion.

It still feels gross and disgusting to me, I don't like feeling it. Makes me want to cringe and scream.

Also, during that time of month, I'd go through more toilet paper....and got accused of selling the toilet paper for drug money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I actually have something to add to this...lol.

The other day I was sent to the store as my wife had some coupons she wanted to use. Of course, one of them was for tampons. I had agreed to take my almost 3 year old daughter along for the ride and here we were in the tampon aisle together. As I was searching for the exact one I was supposed to get I saw a box of Tampax "Tween" tampons. It was a black box and the tampons inside were all different colors (front of the box was clear so you could see inside). I was intrigued and read the box that stated they were specifically designed with younger girls in mind who might not be comfortable wearing regular tampons. The word "tween" was plastered all over it. I looked at my daughter, looked at the box, looked at my daughter, got a cold chill up my spine and put them back, lol.

So, apparently the 'stigma' no longer exists as a major company is more than willing to openly produce and market a product specifically to younger girls.
They SHOULD have ALWAYS marketed to younger girls because they go through it too. Girls as young as 9 get their periods, they should have all options open to them too. Putting an age on certain ways to deal with a period is crazy.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:50 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
My first period was not a pleasant experience. I was living with my dad and step mom. My dear step mom gave me the pads that you had to wear a belt with, she didn't get me the belt either. I remember trying to play volleyball the next day and it was awful. My friend and her mother were kind enough to buy me some tampons.
I'll give my daughter the option (I'll buy both) to chose the one she wants. Luckily today tampons and pads come in all sizes. We have discussed the situation a little and told her that she needs to be prepared for the day (hopefully she won't be in school when it starts).
The look on her face when I was trying to explain the tampon concept....priceless!
Get her a little makeup bag, put a few different things in there (pads, tampons, personal hygiene stuff) and have her stick it in her backpack or locker when you think it might be soon. She can go to the nurse too but ... yikes, I remember those days. LOL ...

Old 05-18-2011, 01:55 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Get her a little makeup bag, put a few different things in there (pads, tampons, personal hygiene stuff) and have her stick it in her backpack or locker when you think it might be soon. She can go to the nurse too but ... yikes, I remember those days. LOL ...
Excellent idea! Rep points to you!

Old 05-18-2011, 01:56 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Oh I remember going down to the nurse one day in 8th grade to get a pad.
She asked me if I knew how to put it on correctly, I looked at her like wtf are you talking about why wouldn't I know....

Apparently a girl once got one from her and stuck it sticky side up.

I hate parents who don't teach their kids things they NEED to know. Its a joke. They are doing a disservice to their kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting