Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 03:01 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times

Advertisements

Growing up in a roman catholic neighborhood, I can vouch for the fact that most kids who grow up in households with many kids 10-13... don't want ANYthing to do with having a mega-family. Most of their houses were all bedrooms. And either the houses were immaculate but run like an army bootcamp OR they were total shambles.

And having to be a full time babysitter at age 12 stinks.

And when they are all adults, the families cannot do get togethers because they are so large. One family I know meets at a campground every year which is nice.

This family can't/won't send the kids to college, I know adults who do NOT have large families say this as well. They gave them life and raised them, that is enough. Once they graduate HS - they are out on the street. SIL is one of these. They get no more support from her.

If this family isn't on welfare though... who am I to judge... would irk me if the taxpayers end up paying for them though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 03:32 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjbulls View Post
Yes, but they don't take care of them. The older ones in essence, become parents to the younger ones. I remember watching a snippet of the show about them, and when you're feeding that many, it's not healthy meals. They were eating crap like tater tot casserole. The older kids have to sacrifice their childhoods to take care of the younger ones. The parents are afraid of their kids being educated so they home school them to indoctrinate them (I don't have a problem with all home-schooling, but when the parents do that to intentionally keep their kids from learning anything outside their narrow world, then it's very sad for the kids). The girls are learning the only thing they are good for is popping out kids and the boys learn by example that women are second-class with no needs of their own. I feel very bad for those children.

It's too bad they can't realize it's a vagina, not a clown car.
These people were a little weird IMO, but I feel the need to stick up for them a little.

First, all their kids seemed intelligent, well spoken and happy which is much better than the average child in this country. Second, they may not be eating meals up to your standards, but all of their children look very healthy and not one is overweight. Again, that is much better than the average child in this country.

I mean, they aren't on welfare, why would anyone else care as long as the children are taken care of?

Old 08-03-2007, 04:33 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,176,369 times
These people that you are talking about happen to be my husbands cousins.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:25 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
Oh, it's not just us that are talking.... It's the whole world.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:11 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
Annnd ....?

Old 08-04-2007, 03:41 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,176,369 times
And what they show on TV is not their whole lives, perhaps you should meet and get to know them before judging and making rude comments. You can't very well know someone by what you see or read in a TV show or publication.

The kids are all very well cared for, the tax payers aren't paying for it, so why do people get so wound up thinking it is not right.

The problem is they are different and people as a whole don't like anyone who is different. For some people they are not content with having 2.5 children, some want more (alot more) and some don't want children at all. And as long as taxpayers are not footing the bill and the kids are all taken care of it is not any of our places to judge.

By the way my grandmother was one of 21 children, so to me someone having alot of kids is not that unusual.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:39 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times
But you must have realized by this point in your life that most other people find having that many children odd. Not wrong, per se, but odd and somewhat fascinating. It used to be that people had that many children because (at least) half would die due to disease, illness, or work-related accidents, and it seems somewhat exessive in today's society/conditions to have that many children. I'm not at all making judgement on the kind of parents or people they are, and I could care less if they are on welfare ( which they aren't I know, I'm just sayin') or not... It's just that when the "norm" for children per family is 2 or 3, 17 seems weird to most people, including me. Just because you are related to them doesn't make it any less weird. Sorry you can't take a step back and realize that and also chosen to be offended by the public interest and resulting discussions.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:25 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
"The kids are all very well cared for, the tax payers aren't paying for it, so why do people get so wound up thinking it is not right."

I think it is "not right" because it causes huge growth in that corner of the population. I personally think it's immoral to the planet and, yes, future generations, to have more than two bio kids per woman. I think it is wrong to increase the total population.
My father was one of ten. Of course there was little birth control and few social options for people back then, especially in the immigrant communities. I noticed, though, of his nine siblings who lived to adulthood, there was an average of 2.1 kids per sibling. In one generation, the notion of a proper family size went to an ecologically sustainable number.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:17 AM

895 posts, read 4,249,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
"The kids are all very well cared for, the tax payers aren't paying for it, so why do people get so wound up thinking it is not right."

I think it is "not right" because it causes huge growth in that corner of the population. I personally think it's immoral to the planet and, yes, future generations, to have more than two bio kids per woman. I think it is wrong to increase the total population.
My father was one of ten. Of course there was little birth control and few social options for people back then, especially in the immigrant communities. I noticed, though, of his nine siblings who lived to adulthood, there was an average of 2.1 kids per sibling. In one generation, the notion of a proper family size went to an ecologically sustainable number.
You are welcome to your opinion but just remember, it's just an opinion.

OPINION:
noun
A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof: “The world is not run by thought, nor by imagination, but by opinion” (Elizabeth Drew)
A judgment based on special knowledge and given by an expert: a medical opinion.
A judgment or estimation of the merit of a person or thing: has a low opinion of braggarts.
The prevailing view: public opinion.
Law A formal statement by a court or other adjudicative body of the legal reasons and principles for the conclusions of the court.

The word that pops out at me is "judgement." You might have "special knowledge" because of your family history but you are definitely judging people you haven't met and don't know very strongly. Not only are you judging them critically, but you're judging anyone in the world that has more than the 2 children. What's right for you doesn't have to be what's right for others.

Personally, I wouldn't have 17 children but I find it interesting and compelling to read about this family because I couldn't imagine a life like that. There are many people in the world like this one family, however, they opened their home to the world and are now being ridiculed by some because they wanted to show their "normal." Maybe they would find your "normal" odd...

Old 08-05-2007, 10:39 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
Anyone with a social conscience would baulk at the idea of having more than two children. This world is already overpopulated.

I visited their website, and while the kids all look happy and healthy, I wonder how much parental attention they really receive. There are only so many hours in a day.

It bothers me when people decide to have as many children as possible simply because of religious beliefs. The religious doctrine of "be fruitful and multiply" is from centuries ago, and surely isn't applicable in today's world!

Yes, this is indeed my opinion, and contained within that opinion is a judgment. Everyone judges everyone else on some level; that's human nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting